TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What SC setup is now available

Ford Fest

I'm pretty sure it is still available with the Whipple.  I don't know if the Kenne Bell option is still available (that's what I had on mine, and what was available first in the 2008/2009 time frame because of the re-CARB requirement that caused Paxton to back out of the market).    I think some of the later packages also included brake upgrades but not sure what the bundling is these days.  But to know for sure call Shelby American. 

The S/C sure "wakes up" the car! 

Edited by twobjshelbys

18 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

I'm pretty sure it is still available with the Whipple.  I don't know if the Kenne Bell option is still available (that's what I had on mine, and what was available first in the 2008/2009 time frame because of the re-CARB requirement that caused Paxton to back out of the market).    I think some of the later packages also included brake upgrades but not sure what the bundling is these days.  But to know for sure call Shelby American. 

The S/C sure "wakes up" the car! 

Thank you. I wasn't sure. I think I was leaning towards Paxton, but thought that might have been on the 06-08 Terlingua cars. A family member is looking to wake up a Buillitt. 

19 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

The Paxton SC (Polished or Satin) was only available on the 2007 Shelby GT. You may be able to get one now days, through Paxton, as I don’t think Shelby offers it any longer.

Well technically the Paxton was also available for the 2006-07 GTH cars, the CS6-8 cars and the Terlingua cars.

And yes SPP no longer carries the Paxton s/c but you should be able to purchase a Paxton branded novi1200 directly from Vortech/Paxton. Keep in mind this paxton s/c is only  CARB certified for 2006 model year Mustang's so if you're looking to install one on your 2007-08 Shelby GT it would not be emission compliant for those cars. The Shelby tagged Paxtons should not be available from Paxton as those were an SAI exclusive unit. 

SAI might be able to install a Shelby Paxton on a 2006 GTH but you would need to confirm with our sales department if that can still be done or not. SAI can not install a Paxton on any other year/model than the 2006.

Steve

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, SWEDEMAN said:

The Paxton SC (Polished or Satin) was only available on the 2007 Shelby GT. You may be able to get one now days, through Paxton, as I don’t think Shelby offers it any longer.

2006 GT-H as well.  Shelby did my Shelby labeled Paxton back in 2009.  Serial number #66, kinda cool.  Trying to find a Shelby labeled one I hear my be hard but worth the hunt.

IMG_5441.jpg

Ok.....I stand corrected. I was referring to the Shelby GT including the GTH. The Paxton’s that did get certified, early cars, were certified and licensed. If you get the chance to drive one you’ll like it. The Paxton’s are not like the Whipple GT/SC’s, I’ve had both. The Whipples are bad ass with incredible power, but you must know how to drive them to get out of the hole. It is a chore too remember, you want to keep the shinny side up! Lol.  The Paxton’s, can come out of the hole very strong and straight, the SC kicks in like an older dual quad car at 2800-3100 rpm’s. IMO. I perfer the Paxton over the Whipple. I now know why Carroll had them slated for all GT/SC’s. It is too bad they didn’t make many before the certification issue, just an incredibly balanced vehicle in all aspects. I have owned both and loved both.

7 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Ok.....I stand corrected. I was referring to the Shelby GT including the GTH. The Paxton’s that did get certified, early cars, were certified and licensed. If you get the chance to drive one you’ll like it. The Paxton’s are not like the Whipple GT/SC’s, I’ve had both. The Whipples are bad ass with incredible power, but you must know how to drive them to get out of the hole. It is a chore too remember, you want to keep the shinny side up! Lol.  The Paxton’s, can come out of the hole very strong and straight, the SC kicks in like an older dual quad car at 2800-3100 rpm’s. IMO. I perfer the Paxton over the Whipple. I now know why Carroll had them slated for all GT/SC’s. It is too bad they didn’t make many before the certification issue, just an incredibly balanced vehicle in all aspects. I have owned both and loved both.

great explainantion

I too have had both and prefer my current Paxton over the Whipple for a daily driver

I think 4.10 gears would suck for sure, it’s already crazy power with stock gearing (3.55 if I recall), I couldn’t imagine having 4.10’s.

I do agree from a dead stop the Whipple can be difficult, but from a roll it’s a beast and that’s more real world unless you drag race.  On ramps are awesome, same with downshifting to pass someone.

18 hours ago, springer said:

Well, I disagree.  The Paxton has nothing on  a Whipple SC. 

Springer, I respectfully 1000% disagree. The Whipple, which I owned in a 2007 GT/SC, has so much upfront power you’ll be hard pressed to get out of the hole correctly. I am a competitive driver and I had a lot of trouble feathering the throttle with any consecutive success.

Rolling start is different, Whipple is king, but in all reality those don’t officially count.

I loved my Whipple, it was/is a monster.  But don’t you think Carroll Shelby is/was an extremely smart owner/car maker and driver?  That’s why he had Paxton Supechargers slated for every GTSC coming out of Shelby American, until a certification stopped it. He was right, it’s an incredibly balanced & smart thought out performance mustang,  not just raw power but completely balanced out of the hole onto the track and finally onto the street.

Ive owned both. 

On 12/23/2018 at 8:50 PM, carnut12 said:

I agree Swede, from a stop I have a very difficult time, I don’t race so it doesn’t bother me, but I could see it bothering some.

What size and brand of tires were you running, same on both you owned?  I have never driven a Paxton and the wipple’s I have been behind the wheel on had the stock “secretary’s car” shoes.  That combination keeps you busy.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, mfield2a said:

What size and brand of tires were you running, same on both you owned?  I have never driven a Paxton and the wipple’s I have been behind the wheel on had the stock “secretary’s car” shoes.  That combination keeps you busy.

I have 275's on the back, to be honest I really do not beat on my car so I am sure I would get better if I practiced, but I do not see the point I only drive on public roads.  I do love taking on ramps in 3rd or a quick down shift to pass someone, but I do not take off from a stop at full speed ever.  Most of the time I see people doing that I think they are Ass Clowns.

Edited by carnut12

6 hours ago, mfield2a said:

The tires really don’t make much difference with the Whipple. It is just the monster “immediate” power from that badass Whipple that makes it extremely difficult to take advantage of that power. Even the best of drivers with Supersnakes, GTSC’s etc all have bragging rights as to horse power  but issues with using all of that horse power.That is why you see cars with horse power of much less beating these gorillas, too much wheel spin. That being said, from a rolling start there only very few cars that can take Supersnakes, GTSC’s, and those cars are usually $100k-200k more too.

Spirited driving is just that, 1st-3rd gear then back off. If you lean on it any more than that you’re risking your life, seriously. You don’t have to beat them to see what they act like out of the hole.

Edited by SWEDEMAN
Edited:

Just trying to get a feel for the comments made on why Paxton vs Whipple on power delivery.  Again, I have never driven a Paxton, but have been seriously considering putting a ‘07 white GT/SC in a vacant garage spot (or a 08KR...but that is another topic).  

I’m not a fan of flat and straight, but some are and thus speed is all relevant.  You can just as easily end it all in 1st or 2nd, it just depends on the road, conditions and surroundings.  We all know this.  :cool:

I’m a 2 wheel junkie and thus a tire nerd.  Tires, pressure, etc can make ALL the difference.   During track days some of my most puckering moments seem to have been in a lower gear.  It’s been years since I have done any, and I don’t plan on any in the near or even distant future.  

Now a days it’s off road enduro’s and in the car the obscure twisty roads are my pleasure, and I don’t plan on pushing it to far their either.  

On 12/27/2018 at 8:52 AM, mfield2a said:

Just trying to get a feel for the comments made on why Paxton vs Whipple on power delivery.  Again, I have never driven a Paxton, but have been seriously considering putting a ‘07 white GT/SC in a vacant garage spot (or a 08KR...but that is another topic).  

I’m not a fan of flat and straight, but some are and thus speed is all relevant.  You can just as easily end it all in 1st or 2nd, it just depends on the road, conditions and surroundings.  We all know this.  :cool:

I’m a 2 wheel junkie and thus a tire nerd.  Tires, pressure, etc can make ALL the difference.   During track days some of my most puckering moments seem to have been in a lower gear.  It’s been years since I have done any, and I don’t plan on any in the near or even distant future.  

Now a days it’s off road enduro’s and in the car the obscure twisty roads are my pleasure, and I don’t plan on pushing it to far their either.  

Whipple is instant full on power. Paxton is full on power at 2800-3000 rpms.

Ive owned both and loved both, but the Paxton is “IMO” the better balanced car for all conditions. I have to think Carroll Shelby knew what he was doing. Yes Paxton did have certification issues so they went to Whipple but make no mistake Paxton was slated for every GT/SC until cert issues came along. 

4 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Whipple is instant full on power. Paxton is full on power at 2800-3000 rpms.

Ive owned both and loved both, but the Paxton is “IMO” the better balanced car for all conditions. I have to think Carroll Shelby knew what he was doing. Yes Paxton did have certification issues so they went to Whipple but make no mistake Paxton was slated for every GT/SC until cert issues came along. 

I always wondered how much lineage was factored in from the Paxton/McCulloch package in 65 & 66’s.

Original plan on making the Paxton as the exclusive charger for the SC makes a lot sense when you think about it: heritage, at the time you could go to the dealer and get screw type on the GT500, plus it allowed the functional strut tower brace to stay put.  

Does it generate much BOV noise?

Thanks. 

On 12/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, mfield2a said:

I always wondered how much lineage was factored in from the Paxton/McCulloch package in 65 & 66’s.

Original plan on making the Paxton as the exclusive charger for the SC makes a lot sense when you think about it: heritage, at the time you could go to the dealer and get screw type on the GT500, plus it allowed the functional strut tower brace to stay put.  

Does it generate much BOV noise?

Thanks. 

Heritage was 100% what Mr. Shelby had in mind for all GTSC cars, it goes all the way back to the 1960’s, he loved Paxton. And yes even the strut brace stays on, he knew that as well. As far as sound, it is one of a kind. I’ve had people ask me about the cars power plant when pulling into places, because of the unique sound. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, SWEDEMAN said:

Heritage was 100% what Mr. Shelby had in mind for all GTSC cars, it goes all the way back to the 1960’s, he loved Paxton. And yes even the strut brace stays on, he knew that as well. As far as sound, it is one of a kind. I’ve had people ask me about the cars power plant when pulling into places, because of the unique sound. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, andrewnagle1964 said:

agreed for instant power that will spins the wheels in every gear a whipple is great

but driving it around town sucked, especially with 4.10 gears

I had the 410's with my whipple and you didn't have to down shift when entering ramps. 410's are great without the Whipple but with the Whipple then 355's would be much-much safer. In fact 331's would be even more safer as when you punch the throttle with the Whipple there is no hesitation. Know one can touch you with 410's on the highway in 4th gear. Ask me how I know.

16 hours ago, shelbytexan said:

I had the 410's with my whipple and you didn't have to down shift when entering ramps. 410's are great without the Whipple but with the Whipple then 355's would be much-much safer. In fact 331's would be even more safer as when you punch the throttle with the Whipple there is no hesitation. Know one can touch you with 410's on the highway in 4th gear. Ask me how I know.

Texan.....your car was bad to the bone for sure. I believe 401’s with Whipple was a dragon of a beast. I also agree the 355’s are a good match with SC’d cars.

I've never driven one of these with the Paxton.  I have put over 15K miles on my GTH with the Whipple.  Like some have stated here, it takes a careful feathering of the gas to keep things under control.  The power is instant and you better be sure you have good rubber with proper air pressures, etc.  You better also be pointed straight when you get on the gas.  If you punch it rolling at 40 or so, the auto will downshift twice and then BANG!  Hold on!  It's like getting fired out of a canon.  From a rolling start you can feel your way to WOT, and then hold on.  You will feel each gear chirp off some tire traction, and it accelerates like crazy.  Any deficiencies in the road may be scary.  I had a lot of fun driving through the tolls in Illinois opening her up each time from the rolling start (:  

One nice thing is you can custom tune your car to behave anyway you want.  

On thing I miss about my Whipple install is the rumble of the factory Shelby exhaust - the Whipple whine takes over quickly.  My car is tuned with only 9 psi of boost, but she's putting down 450 RWHP with my last street tune.  My car has nearly 60K miles and she's still just as strong and snappy as ever.