TEAM SHELBY FORUM

End Of An Era.......................

As of last week the last Shelby Dodge has left the building and the car wasn't even owned by Carroll or SAI. For the last 10 years 1986 GLHS #432 has been on display at Shelby American along with some of Carroll's personal Dodge cars. With the recent selling off of Carroll's personal car collection by the Shelby Trust it didn't make sense for SAI to display a lone Dodge era Shelby vehicle.

Ten years is probably a record for a privately owned Shelby vehicle to be on display by the Shelby organization so on behalf of Shelby American I would like to thank the cars owner for their generosity and trust in us to display their GLHS.

Now before any grumbling starts on why there are no Dodge Shelby's in the Las Vegas Shelby American Museum please keep in mind that we haven't considered our public display area a museum for several years now, and when you add in the removal of Carroll's Dodge cars its easy to see that the space is better utilized for displaying current Shelby American products.

It was fun while it lasted but time moves on.

Steve

Below is a photo of the driver inspecting the car before it was loaded onto the transporter.

1986 GLHS.jpg

As a Shelby Charger owner, it is sad to hear the leaving of the last Shelby Dodge. Interesting to hear the GLHS was able to cherish 10 years at the Shelby American Museum being privately owned.

I always enjoyed viewing the Shelby Charger, GLHS, and the Shelby Dakota on the floor but onward to seeing other exciting vehicles in the Showroom/Museum.

Shelby Charger and GTE.JPG

1 hour ago, 83Shelby said:

As a Shelby Charger owner, it is sad to hear the leaving of the last Shelby Dodge. Interesting to hear the GLHS was able to cherish 10 years at the Shelby American Museum being privately owned.

I always enjoyed viewing the Shelby Charger, GLHS, and the Shelby Dakota on the floor but onward to seeing other exciting vehicles in the Showroom/Museum.

The cars owner had just restored the car when it was brought out to the 85th B-day Bash in January 2008. The car caught the attention of the at that time President of SAI and the next thing you know this GLHS became part of the Shelby American Speedway location display.

Lots of things happened during this 10 year time frame, 2-3 new Presidents at SAI, the Shelby Museum being renamed the Shelby Heritage Center, Carroll's passing and a company relocation to the Las Vegas strip but somehow this GLHS represented for Shelby Dodge enthusiasts through all those changes.

Fortunately I had Carroll autograph the car in at least two places so not only does the owner have a neat story to tell about his GLHS being at Shelby American for 10 years he also has Carroll's autograph to remind him of that.

Steve

PS- Cool photo of your GTE & Charger. The GTE is rarer than the Charger and GLHS cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad knowing #432 won't be at the Heritage Center any longer.  I've stopped in specifically to see that car the last four times I've been in Las Vegas.  On my last time through, I finally took the tour lead by a nice gentleman, who's jaw just about dropped when I told him I recently sold 1986 GLHS #457 (medical reasons).  

I am disappointed that the fabulous collection of cars representing the life work of Carroll Shelby will no longer be together in Vegas.  I was lucky enough to see CSX 0001 when it was on display.  While I loved looking at the Cobras and Ford based Shelbys, it was #432 I used to stare and study the most.  I will still visit the Heritage Center, but with some loss in enthusiasm.  It was the one place I could go and feel there was no argument by anybody that the Shelby Dodge cars were real Shelbys.  I hope that whatever the Heritage Center is transforming into will continue to honor the entire embodiment of the work of Carroll Shelby.  

Warren