TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Amazing Genuine Ford Extended Warranty!

Soon after I bought my GT500 in September 2007, I bought a PremiumCARE ESP extended warranty from Lombard Ford, within the initial 12-month, 12,000-mile period, good through 2013 or so.  They contacted me soon before that warranty expired to let me know they could extend it as a used-car warranty with the same coverage.  I think I bought a 48,000-mile, 5-year PremiumCARE used-car warranty with a $200 deductible for around $1,600.  It expires in December 2018, or 98,XXX miles.

Today I got another letter in the mail, informing me I could extend it again, as long as the car was less than 13 years old with less than 140,000 miles.  On a whim, I got a quote.  I can get yet another PremiumCARE extended warranty for 5 years and 48,000 miles with a $200 deductible for $1,933!

To put it another way - I'll effectively be covered by the original bumper-to-bumper warranty until 118,XXX miles or until December 2023.  For a 2007 model year car.

Does any other manufacturer come anywhere close to Ford's outstanding extended warranty coverage?

14 hours ago, MadManMoon said:

Soon after I bought my GT500 in September 2007, I bought a PremiumCARE ESP extended warranty from Lombard Ford, within the initial 12-month, 12,000-mile period, good through 2013 or so.  They contacted me soon before that warranty expired to let me know they could extend it as a used-car warranty with the same coverage.  I think I bought a 48,000-mile, 5-year PremiumCARE used-car warranty with a $200 deductible for around $1,600.  It expires in December 2018, or 98,XXX miles.

Today I got another letter in the mail, informing me I could extend it again, as long as the car was less than 13 years old with less than 140,000 miles.  On a whim, I got a quote.  I can get yet another PremiumCARE extended warranty for 5 years and 48,000 miles with a $200 deductible for $1,933!

To put it another way - I'll effectively be covered by the original bumper-to-bumper warranty until 118,XXX miles or until December 2023.  For a 2007 model year car.

Does any other manufacturer come anywhere close to Ford's outstanding extended warranty coverage?

M M M,

Not a bad price to pay for peace of mind but to be fair your extended warranty is not a bumper to bumper warranty like it was when your car was new. For example when your car was brand new Ford would replace the stripes if they had an issue, Ford will not do that under an extended warranty. Same for interior trim, say the stitching was coming loose on the drivers seat, Ford would have repaired that under the brand new bumper to bumper warranty but will not under an extended warranty. Ford would also replace "wear items" like brake pads & clutch discs under the bumper to bumper warranty when the car was new, they would classify the replacement as premature wear, Ford will not replace any "wear items" under an extended warranty.

Don't get me wrong I think you've done good and I would certainly do the same if I were in your shoes, Just don't want you to think that your extended warranty is the same as Fords new car bumper to bumper warranty and that every single thing will be repaired like it would be when the car was brand new.

Steve

PS- Another great feature of the Premium care is the tow truck & rental car coverage.

9 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

M M M,

Not a bad price to pay for peace of mind but to be fair your extended warranty is not a bumper to bumper warranty like it was when your car was new. For example when your car was brand new Ford would replace the stripes if they had an issue, Ford will not do that under an extended warranty. Same for interior trim, say the stitching was coming loose on the drivers seat, Ford would have repaired that under the brand new bumper to bumper warranty but will not under an extended warranty. Ford would also replace "wear items" like brake pads & clutch discs under the bumper to bumper warranty when the car was new, they would classify the replacement as premature wear, Ford will not replace any "wear items" under an extended warranty.

Don't get me wrong I think you've done good and I would certainly do the same if I were in your shoes, Just don't want you to think that your extended warranty is the same as Fords new car bumper to bumper warranty and that every single thing will be repaired like it would be when the car was brand new.

Steve

PS- Another great feature of the Premium care is the tow truck & rental car coverage.

Steven, totally understand!  Frankly, I wouldn't expect those kinds of things to be covered at this point anyway.  It's close enough for me!

6 hours ago, Secondo said:

How many miles does the car have? Drive it alot?

I've got about 71,000 miles on it now, and now that the warranty will cover another five years, I'll be driving it a lot more!

14 hours ago, MadManMoon said:

Steven, totally understand!  Frankly, I wouldn't expect those kinds of things to be covered at this point anyway.  It's close enough for me!

I've got about 71,000 miles on it now, and now that the warranty will cover another five years, I'll be driving it a lot more!

Sounds great, MMM! You're getting your money's worth and enjoying the car with some peace of mind! :thumbsup:

I called the offering dealer (Lombard Ford in CT) to verify the offer was legit, and they confirmed it was - and also recommended I wait until December 26 to buy it, since my warranty runs out on December 27, and the new one will kick in on the date of purchase.  Such a pleasant dealer to work with!  Saleswoman said she just sold two warrantys on 2005 Thunderbirds, which is the oldest model year they'll cover.  Simply amazing!

I've already set a calendar reminder for December 26 in case I forget!

On 11/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, MadManMoon said:

I called the offering dealer (Lombard Ford in CT) to verify the offer was legit, and they confirmed it was - and also recommended I wait until December 26 to buy it, since my warranty runs out on December 27, and the new one will kick in on the date of purchase.  Such a pleasant dealer to work with!  Saleswoman said she just sold two warrantys on 2005 Thunderbirds, which is the oldest model year they'll cover.  Simply amazing!

I've already set a calendar reminder for December 26 in case I forget!

MMM, I would be cautious cutting it that close. What if the dealer forgets to forward your payment to Ford, not inconceivable with it being a holiday work week? While you would hope that Ford has some sort of grace period, perhaps they don't.

All I know is that there is no dealership that I would place that much trust in.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I extended mine as well through Lombard and it's about to expire in March 2019. They have not contacted me to extend again so I may give them a call.  I extended last time for piece of mind but frankly the big expensive things on this car seem to be rock solid! I recently just turned 30K on my 2007 vert. Unfortunately my local dealers seem to intentionally avoid wanting to cover things yet still charge me "diagnostic time"  (blown struts which state ARE covered in the documentation), failed sway bar bushing, fuel tank fill problems (no fault found) so yes it's hardly a bumper to bumper.  I figure for the cost it's also worth it for resale value in case I decide to ever sell (new Gt500?!) and give the new owner added confidence.

Edited by m81mclaren

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a great deal!   I bought a certified preowned Mercedes and got a 4 year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty, I hope they offer to extend my warranty at the end of the term, problem is I'll have about 160,000 miles on it!  My GT500 has 181,000 miles, no way anyone is offering me a warranty on it..