TEAM SHELBY FORUM

91+ Octane Decal

Carl Bishop

I'm pretty sure this topic might have been covered in the past, I just thought I'd pass along some current information.

Anyways, my 10+ year old fuel door decal was looking pretty shabby. Doing some research I found out that Tasca Ford was able to special order new ones, I bought 2 for a total of around $25 shipped ($9 S&H). I wish I would have started a thread to see if anyone else was interested and I would have purchased more to share the cost of the shipping, oh well....

Here are some before and after pictures, I couldn't save the original and needed to use WD40 to remove the residue. The original decal was a bit too large for the space available, so I placed the new one differently to see if it will hold up better.

IMG_20181023_155515906.jpg

Edited by 08SGT1234

Wonder if we can get them direct from:

Ford Motor Company - Divisions Automobile Manufacturers in Livonia, MI

FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE DIVISION - NATIONAL PARTS DISTRIBUTION CENTER

11871 Middlebelt Rd

Livonia, MI 48150 - Wayne County

(734) 523-3000

That is not some sooper dooper ultra rare sticker that is unique to the GT500. That tag is as common as dirt and has been used on multiple Ford vehicles for well over a decade. Yeah, you can buy it from Ford..or Tasca,…..or about 100 other places online ………….      $9.00 shipping and handling. As Johnny Carson once said. There is a number higher than infinity…….its infinity plus shipping and handling………….if mine ever goes bad I am not going to lighten my wallet to replace it. If I ever did decide it was important enough to replace.......... I  will scan it and rip one out on an HP printer. Best of luck to those who want to pay $25 for a couple of 2 cent tags.

Edited by mhr1961

mrh1961....

You're correct, Ford used these on a few cars, not sure about the GT500's. All I was trying to do is provide information to my fellow SGT/GT-H owners since these were added to the car at SAI in Vegas due to the tunes being done there.

The decal's list for around $15 ea on the Ford parts websites, Tasca by far had the lowest price and was willing to special order them. So yes, $25 was a bit steep for two decals, but I wanted to keep my car as close to original as possible. You must have plenty of time on your hands to be able to reproduce a factory decal at will, I look forward to seeing your work, please post up pictures once you do.

4 hours ago, 08SGT1234 said:

mrh1961....

You're correct, Ford used these on a few cars, not sure about the GT500's. All I was trying to do is provide information to my fellow SGT/GT-H owners since these were added to the car at SAI in Vegas due to the tunes being done there.

The decal's list for around $15 ea on the Ford parts websites, Tasca by far had the lowest price and was willing to special order them. So yes, $25 was a bit steep for two decals, but I wanted to keep my car as close to original as possible. You must have plenty of time on your hands to be able to reproduce a factory decal at will, I look forward to seeing your work, please post up pictures once you do.

No problem. I realize some people want to maintain “originality”, and it was nice of you to post where you found the best price on a tag. As far as time on my hands,  it only takes about 2 minutes to scan and print a tag. I already have a .pdf  file that I will use whenever mine goes bad. So far after 10+  years mine is still good. Happy motoring.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/1/2019 at 2:19 PM, 73mockone said:

mhr1961,

Any chance you can send along that .pdf?

Welp, I haven’t forgot about the .pdf. After a rather lengthy home renovation, I have been going to through some old computer files trying to get some ancient files organized. I haven’t found the Gas Door/Cap .pdf yet, but I did find a file I had scanned that had decent resolution with multiple Gas Door/Cap stickers on it. I haven’t played around with it dimension-wise so I cannot swear it is the correct size, however, if anyone wants to try and use it here it is attached below. If you have somebody you know who is a printer or graphic nerd, they may be able to size it up and improve on the resolution and run a few sheets on a coated adhesive backed paper for not too much money. It is not going to be absolutely concourse but if you ruin the sticker you can just cut and peel off another fresh one and stick it on and be good to go for a while.......or you can share some with other anally retentive pals who insist on having a sticker inside their gas cap.

In the meantime, I will also continue my search for the higher resolution .pdf and if I find it I will post it up.

Gas Sticker.jpg

Edited by mhr1961

Strange.  Lead free gas has been the gas available since leaded gas was banned in 1996.  In my 1965 Mustang GT and 1966 GT350, I only use ethanol free gas (89 octane witch the cars are tuned).  My 2011 GT350 (624 HP) runs on 92 octane e10.

The White circle with the slash and Pb doesn’t just mean Lead Free gas, it means no Lead Products Period. Meaning no Tetra Ethyl Leaded Gasoline, as well as any Fuel Additives containing Tetra Ethyl Lead .It is there because lead will quickly destroy modern catalytic converters and many modern sensors that are part of the engine.

10 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

Strange.  Lead free gas has been the gas available since leaded gas was banned in 1996.  In my 1965 Mustang GT and 1966 GT350, I only use ethanol free gas (89 octane witch the cars are tuned).  My 2011 GT350 (624 HP) runs on 92 octane e10.

The ethanol-free gas I put in mine is either 90 or 91 octane.  Depends on which station I get it at.

Unfortunately, the only e-free gas here is limited to a few stations near boat marinas and is just 89 octane.  Luckily, I live near a marina and the two stations that have e-rfree pumps are a mile from my house.

Back to the topic on the 91+ stickers.  I have only seen decals on the fuel door or  on the dash that say "Premium Fuel Only".  These decals are interesting.😎 

Casey's General Stores here are carrying it.  And there's several in the area as they've been building frequently over the past year.  They have 91 octane.  There's a also a Circle K that has it in town, and it's 90 octane.  The first place I went to was a bit out of the way and it had it as 'recreational' gas, and had the pump over by it's diesel pump.  I think that was also 91.  Haven't seen any available pumps at the 2 racetracks in the area, or the airport.  I don't know anything about marinas round these parts to know about it there.