TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H Hood

GaryF

Recently was away from home with my always garaged and never driven in rain GT-H and had to leave it outside during a heavy all night rain.  :( Wasn't too concerned about it, but when I went to open the deep draw style hood to finish drying things off there, I heard a rush of water from inside the hood cavity on one side moving to the back of the hood.  When I closed the hood, it came back forward.  I was like  "what"???  So, the water is 'stuck' inside the hood cavity.  I couldn't figure out how it could have gotten in there, except for through the holes for the hood pins. I suppose that's possible, as the rain was really coming down all night and running down the hood in that direction. Or, it could have seeped in from the draw area of the hood where the faux vent is attached with the chrome rivets and where water collects.

So, has anyone else experienced this dilemma, and if so, how did you drain the water?  If I'm the only one - how do you suggest I get the water out?  The only thing I can think of is to drill a small hole on the underside of this fiberglass hood where the gap is between the bottom side and top (very carefully) and let it slowly drain.  I can't imagine letting it remain in there would be good.

The original HERTZ hood is different than the Deep Draw used on Terlingua.  The deep draw has functional vents and extractor(vent) at the back of the hood.  As for the water, you can remove the hood blanket and drill one or two tiny holes.  Drain the water and reinstall the hood blanket.  If you do that, look for signatures.  Some of the 06 cars had employees sign the car and that was one of locations found by owners along with underside of the car.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, H0050 said:

The original HERTZ hood is different than the Deep Draw used on Terlingua.  The deep draw has functional vents and extractor(vent) at the back of the hood.  As for the water, you can remove the hood blanket and drill one or two tiny holes.  Drain the water and reinstall the hood blanket.  If you do that, look for signatures.  Some of the 06 cars had employees sign the car and that was one of locations found by owners along with underside of the car.

Harald - so where should I drill the holes after removing the blanket?  The water sounds like it's running down the driver's side of the hood to the back when I open it, but difficult to tell which cavity it's in.  I tried removing the lower hood bracket bolt to see if it would come out there, but no luck.  Of course, I need to be careful to only drill into an area of the hood where there is a big enough void and not through a section that is thinner. I'd hate to come through on the top side.  I suppose I could drill it in the front cavity (where I think the water got in through the hood pin holes), which is likely where it's sitting and would drain out (hopefully) when the hood is closed.  I was thinking about drilling a hole in the circle area where the hood touches the rubber bumpers when closed.

Edited by GaryF

13 hours ago, GaryF said:

passenger Harald - so where should I drill the holes after removing the blanket?  The water sounds like it's running down the driver's side of the hood to the back when I open it, but difficult to tell which cavity it's in.  I tried removing the lower hood bracket bolt to see if it would come out there, but no luck.  Of course, I need to be careful to only drill into an area of the hood where there is a big enough void and not through a section that is thinner. I'd hate to come through on the top side.  I suppose I could drill it in the front cavity (where I think the water got in through the hood pin holes), which is likely where it's sitting and would drain out (hopefully) when the hood is closed.  I was thinking about drilling a hole in the circle area where the hood touches the rubber bumpers when closed.

Another thought:  If you think it came through the hood pin holes, I would get some help and just remove the hood and stand it up so it could drain through the hood pin holes.  Mark the hood so you know how it is aligned.  It may even have a few spacers / shims.  In addition disconnect the washer line near the passenger side cowl.  You can manipulate the hood to drain.    You could even remove the 4 screws and remove the scratch plate(s).  Avoid drilling any holes.      

Edited by H0050

1 hour ago, H0050 said:

Another thought:  If you think it came through the hood pin holes, I would get some help and just remove the hood and stand it up so it could drain through the hood pin holes.  Mark the hood so you know how it is aligned.  It may even have a few spacers / shims.  In addition disconnect the washer line near the passenger side cowl.  You can manipulate the hood to drain.    You could even remove the 4 screws and remove the scratch plate(s).  Avoid drilling any holes.      

best idea yet

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, andrewnagle1964 said:

best idea yet

Well, the hood pin holes are the only place that are open (I didn't have the pins in during the heavy rain, which probably would have helped to prevent rain from running in).  I don't know of any other place where water could have gotten in, unless it seeped in through the holes where the rivets are that attached the faux rubber deep draw vent in the recessed area.  The funny thing is the water only seems to be trapped on the driver's side.  Looks like I'll be removing the hood.  :/

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up.... So, instead of removing the hood, I decided to take her for a ride on a nice, relatively warm/sunny day.  When I returned, I left her in the driveway to get some sun in hopes of the water evaporating some (at least I wanted to see if that would work if the hood was warmed up).  Of course, the engine was hot too.  Later on when I opened the hood, the sloshing sound I heard previously from the water running to the back of the hood was non-existent.  So, it seems warming up the hood helped to evaporate the small amount of water that was trapped in it.  Works for me!  :headspin: Appreciate all of the other suggestions!!