TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2019 Shelby GT Purchase

SWEDEMAN

You’re right this car was ordered with big ticket ford options that I will never use. I want a GT premium, and can get one for $35k ($41k MSRP) and its pretty well loaded with what I want. We’ll see what happens. I’m in the market for a new car since selling mine and want the new technology that is offered in today’s cars. I did find a killer supersnake used private party for under $50k but some medical issues have me looking at an automatic now. We’ll see what happens. Stay in touch.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 6:08 PM, SWEDEMAN said:

2019 SGTH:

I've tried for about 2 months to buy a 2019 GTH to no avail. These cars are marked up so it is ridiculously expensive and imo not worth it. They take a 401a package GT Mustang and put some half shafts and coolant tanks on it for $95k without a supercharger.
I offered $68k ($38k for the GT Mustang and $30995 retail price for the GTH package and they acted like I was trying to steal it). 
I think it is a nice looking car but for that type of coin you are now into Porsche territory. It is obvious these cars are not for Shelby enthusiasts any longer.... it is just about the Benjamin's. 

I agree, it feels like it's about the Benjamin's.   In 07 & 08 a GT500 had a sticker of around $42,900.   Now, a mere 11 years later were pushing $100k for a Shelby.  Something just doesn't jive and it feels like it's outta wack.

QSS

10 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

I agree, it feels like it's about the Benjamin's.   In 07 & 08 a GT500 had a sticker of around $42,900.   Now, a mere 11 years later were pushing $100k for a Shelby.  Something just doesn't jive and it feels like it's outta wack.

QSS

The 2020 is light years ahead.  Would you prefer even less performance than an 08 at a lower cost?

2 hours ago, Fat Boss said:

The 2020 is light years ahead.  Would you prefer even less performance than an 08 at a lower cost?

Not at all.  I just can't believe how expensive these have become.  I'm probably out of touch and I don't full comprehend the extra costs associated with the technology.

QSS 

3 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

Not at all.  I just can't believe how expensive these have become.  I'm probably out of touch and I don't full comprehend the extra costs associated with the technology.

QSS 

No your 100% in touch. If you owned Shelby Inc. You’d say “why do a ton of volume when you can make the same amount of money that you can do with half the volume”. They have priced the Shelby blue collar buyer out of the picture, which was well over 70% of their sales
The other issue is these dealers are making the SGT’s with 401a packages and all the track packs, which just puts these cars in a ridiculous price range.(by the way the track packages are only to be used with the staggered 19 inch wheels and tires which is totally obsoleted when you put the Shelby GT kit on it with 20” wheels and tires) If they would’ve just built them with 301a packages which gives you the big touchscreen the MSRP would’ve been around $68-69k with a dealer discount package and rebates would’ve brought you in around $66k instead of $85+k. Which means whoever buys those cars “will be buried with it” unless they keep it and pay it off or they’re going to take a $30k++ beating when they sell.
Its just not worth it.

of course my opinion and a dollar will buy you a cuppa coffee at McDonald’s.

Edited by SWEDEMAN

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw Galpin Ford has 2 2019 black and gold Shelby GT-Hs. One auto, one manual. Engine photos for the manual version. No listed prices, natch.

https://www.galpinford.com/inventory/new-vehicles/vehicle/1FA6P8CF4K5178784/2019-Ford-Mustang-North-Hills-Ca

Edited by Orion

This is not correct in the USA.

The number on a new one is $60K. An used one is more like $50K.

The car is meant for guys to drive quickly and fast on a track. I love it.

My wife drove in it (she likes the luxury Mercedes). She hated it and complained. She said it was loud and too stiff. She also complained about the radio being too loud.

• 2 months later...

Update: 90-95% of all 2019 Shelby GT,s and GTH’s are still on dealers lots.....rusting, aging, sitting and costing tons of flooring $ or liquid cash. The funny part is they are still trying to get $75k+++ for them when the 2020 vette and 2020 gt500 are out and have lower msrp’s or soon to be same/lower prices and 3x’s the car.
The dealerships think no one reads sales data on Google. Oh....don’t think for a moment SA wasn’t a participant here, they told them when they sat and didn’t sell  “the GTH will be obsolete in 2020,  so you’ll be able to sell them then as a collectors car”.
The poor Shelby dealers are buried in over priced none selling stock coming up on 2 years old. 

Yes we all love the Shelby brand and we are 100% dedicated to it, but something has to change here. Ford is getting all the kudo’s with the all new GT500 5.2 hand built engine and the Shelby American GT500 sits on a Mustang GT chassis with the base 5.0 engine with bolt on performance parts. 
The sorry thing is my hopes will be dashed because the business model now days is about bottom line not about customer love for the brand.

Ordered one in April 2019 and got it in July.  Ordered a convertible in Ruby Red with silver stripes and silver wheels, black interior, 6 Spd, brembo's etc.  Car is visually stunning, sounds great and is a pleasure to drive. Wanted a unique V-8 convertible and got just that.  Had a very nice 2002 silver GT Conv and there is no comparison.  Car is tight and seems well put together.  Did not buy for an investment but to enjoy cruising and winding it out with wife.  Always been a rag top guy so when this was available in 2019 I went with it.

20 hours ago, Marcus Corruptus said:

Ordered one in April 2019 and got it in July.  Ordered a convertible in Ruby Red with silver stripes and silver wheels, black interior, 6 Spd, brembo's etc.  Car is visually stunning, sounds great and is a pleasure to drive. Wanted a unique V-8 convertible and got just that.  Had a very nice 2002 silver GT Conv and there is no comparison.  Car is tight and seems well put together.  Did not buy for an investment but to enjoy cruising and winding it out with wife.  Always been a rag top guy so when this was available in 2019 I went with it.

Post up some pics, sounds striking. May I ask if it was ordered by you or prior to you buying it and did it come with the 401a package? No doubt beautiful cars.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:49 PM, SWEDEMAN said:

Update: 90-95% of all 2019 Shelby GT,s and GTH’s are still on dealers lots.....rusting, aging, sitting and costing tons of flooring $ or liquid cash. The funny part is they are still trying to get $75k+++ for them when the 2020 vette and 2020 gt500 are out and have lower msrp’s or soon to be same/lower prices and 3x’s the car.
The dealerships think no one reads sales data on Google. Oh....don’t think for a moment SA wasn’t a participant here, they told them when they sat and didn’t sell  “the GTH will be obsolete in 2020,  so you’ll be able to sell them then as a collectors car”.
The poor Shelby dealers are buried in over priced none selling stock coming up on 2 years old. 

Yes we all love the Shelby brand and we are 100% dedicated to it, but something has to change here. Ford is getting all the kudo’s with the all new GT500 5.2 hand built engine and the Shelby American GT500 sits on a Mustang GT chassis with the base 5.0 engine with bolt on performance parts. 
The sorry thing is my hopes will be dashed because the business model now days is about bottom line not about customer love for the brand.

:yup:

Your car is a GT350, not a GTH. I will say the GT350 is an amazing car. The car in this thread is a GTH which is a SA built car with zero build issues that I know of, the GT350 is purely a Fomoco product. The rants here are for the advice SA suits gave the dealers when the dealers were ordering these cars. (We, Shelby American, do not want to make a cheap car they must to be ordered with the 401a package...blah....blah....blah...)These cars were supposed to be a “price point car” for the blue collar Shelby buyer. However SA did not want the  large volume of a great priced Shelby GT so they tried and failed at the promotion and in the midst lost thousands of blue collar Shelby buyers, whom originally bought the 2007-08 Shelby GT. They f’d it up so badly it destroyed there Shelby GT buyer base. There is a reason why there will never be a Ford factory backed (pre titled) Shelby Mustang ever again.(Except by Ford themselves). Carroll would be rolling in his grave!

Note: after all that has been said regarding pricing structure and the the very high end packages input on these car, there has been no issues with the Shelby American build quality and/or the appearance of the 2019 SGT or SGTH.
The new/used car business and most every business out there will take a big hit due to the current pandemic,  if they can weather it at all. So to those who sold cars in the recent past and have cash put away to buy new one it could be the time to buy. 

Stay safe and healthy.

Edited by SWEDEMAN

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

The black with gold stripes is listed at $51K now see listings below 

C86AF00C-81C6-45AE-A7B9-ED2B725103E4.jpegLost leader, this for the base mustang: $51,525! Yes they are buried in all of these cars.Remember this 2 year old inventory sitting all over the nation. Like I said nothings wrong with the quality they just made a mistake on pricing. I’ll keep shopping, one will come available. If it doesn’t I save my $60k, win-win.

13 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

The black with gold stripes is listed at $51K now see listings below 

C86AF00C-81C6-45AE-A7B9-ED2B725103E4.jpeg

There out there, but what’s it worth to you???     :shrug:   :headscratch:

17 hours ago, Mongoose said:

There out there, but what’s it worth to you???     :shrug:   :headscratch:

Realistically....it’s a $60k ++ car. They made huge mistakes when the brass wanted this car to compete with the revamped (not) 5.0 supersnake (yes I said mustang GT supersnake).
They blew off the original SGT buyer and lost thousands of base SGT customers from the 2007 and up buyers but (from what I am told by dealers from east coast to west coast) the 2019 SGT’s were to be built on high dollar platforms, 401a with PP’s and loaded and a lot of the base Mustang GT prices were in the $50k range! to begin with.....huge mistake. One day they’ll realize just because they get bumped up to an executive level that doesn’t mean they have executive knowledge. I figure SA gave away $$millions in profit and multi-millions in gross sales because of this. 
But of course and as always, my opinion and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee at McDonald’s. 

Edited: 

Edited by SWEDEMAN

38 minutes ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Realistically....it’s a $60k ++ car. They made huge mistakes when the brass wanted this car to compete with the revamped (not) 5.0 supersnake (yes I said mustang GT supersnake).
They blew off the original SGT buyer and lost thousands of base SGT customers from the 2007 and up buyers but (from what I am told by dealers from east coast to west coast) the 2019 SGT’s were to be built on high dollar platforms, 401a with PP’s and loaded and a lot of the base Mustang GT prices were in the $50k range! to begin with.....huge mistake. One day they’ll realize just because they get bumped up to an executive level that doesn’t mean they have executive knowledge. I figure SA gave away $$millions in profit and multi-millions in gross sales because of this. 
But of course and as always, my opinion and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee at McDonald’s. 

Edited: 

We all have opinions on things and that’s fine in my book, but our opinions can both be good or bad depending on how someone spins them for reason’s of their own. Because of this it can change the outlook drastically on things, just saying!   I own one of those SGTs and really love it, but yes I think they got overlooked for sure.  But in (Big Business) America, “Profit is King” and the almighty (Dollar) reins supreme, so that didn’t help at all for the small amount of the cars produced to try and make a huge profit.  Thus, it was decided to shift gears and move with a different plan and outlook.    As far as pricing was on a 2019 New Mustang GT, a friend of mine managed to get one a while back, well equipped for between 34 to 35K and it listed for around $45K.  I personally think a lot of the new high performance cars out there are over-priced. That eliminates a lot of the “Blue Collar” workers that are out there that had the dream of once being able to procure the famous Shelby of their dreams.   Carroll Shelby was a man’s man and didn’t just want the rich and privileged to be the only ones to own and drive his cars.  J.M.O.

Hey SWEDEMAN, that cup of coffee at McDonald’s sounds good right now!!!    :thumbsup:

On 5/3/2020 at 5:42 PM, Mongoose said:

We all have opinions on things and that’s fine in my book, but our opinions can both be good or bad depending on how someone spins them for reason’s of their own. Because of this it can change the outlook drastically on things, just saying!   I own one of those SGTs and really love it, but yes I think they got overlooked for sure.  But in (Big Business) America, “Profit is King” and the almighty (Dollar) reins supreme, so that didn’t help at all for the small amount of the cars produced to try and make a huge profit.  Thus, it was decided to shift gears and move with a different plan and outlook.    As far as pricing was on a 2019 New Mustang GT, a friend of mine managed to get one a while back, well equipped for between 34 to 35K and it listed for around $45K.  I personally think a lot of the new high performance cars out there are over-priced. That eliminates a lot of the “Blue Collar” workers that are out there that had the dream of once being able to procure the famous Shelby of their dreams.   Carroll Shelby was a man’s man and didn’t just want the rich and privileged to be the only ones to own and drive his cars.  J.M.O.

Hey SWEDEMAN, that cup of coffee at McDonald’s sounds good right now!!!    :thumbsup:

Lol. Please do post pictures of your car or post where we can see it. 

I am a fan and just because I don’t like the numbers $ doesn’t mean I don’t like the car. In fact I think it’s a fantastic car and I’m buying one if the numbers are right. One thing I am sure of is CS himself would have never allowed this, but as you said the “money” is bottom line in any business, I wholeheartedly agree. The BL here is they just alienated the existing Shelby built in customers, that is just short sighted. They also take banter/forum talk personally, I asked about a SC upgrade if I bought one, never answered. That’s just funny, it’s like I’ll make you pay for dissing my SGT, lol. The thing is I’ve always said the SGT was a quality build my issue was they left the entire existing Shelby GT customer behind. Rule number one or should I say business 101, always market to your existing customers. 

I’m looking at 3 right now, 2 on east coast and 1 on west coast, high $60’s in both areas. 

It wasn't "all about the money". It was about "right sizing" and adapting to a changing business climate.

I have said it on here before, SAI didn’t move away from making several thousand cars a year to making several hundred “bespoke” cars per year with the intent to alienate the “blue collar” guy. The “downsizing"  of SAI at that period in time around 2008/09 was a deliberate, conscious and smart  decision made by Carroll Shelby himself and the management team he had in place back in 2008/09.  One of the primary things that drove that decision was the upcoming required implementation of new EPA/CARB testing and crash testing being forced on manufacturers. If they had stayed the same size they would have had to do both and it just isn’t feasible to crash test and EPA/CARB test and report if you make 5 or 6 thousand cars per year. SAI would have had to amortize those costs in to their offerings and if you are griping about being priced out of the market now,  you would have been complaining even more if SAI had to do crash testing and EPA/CARB. A single crash test can cost $75,000 to $100,000 just for the test procedure and report. Then factor in a prototype car at about $75,000 to $125,000(or more), and a single crash test dummy cost about $100,000. Now consider you would have to sacrifice a car and a dummy for a front crash test, sacrifice a car and dummy for a right side crash test, a car and a dummy for left side, a car and a dummy for rear crash test, and a car and two to four dummies for a rollover test........then if the test fails you go back to the drawing board and have to do it all over again. On top of all that, the cost doubles if you make a both coupe and vert because you have to test both..........it gets really expensive really quick.

SAI is doing what they can to continue his legacy and Carroll is not rolling over in his grave. Carroll knew in order for SAI to survive that they would need to downsize and go to bespoke production and license the bigger production runs to Ford a la GT350/GT500.

You got 320 hp 2007 Shelby GT with  decent performance and a modicum of exclusivity in 2007 for about $37k base MSRP.... that is $115 per hp in 2008 dollars, adjust for inflation and that is $143 per hp in today’s dollars.

Today you get a 480 hp 2020 Shelby GT  excellent performance, better build quality, better suspension/brakes/technology and you get high exclusivity in 2020 for a $71k base MSRP......that is $147/hp. (yes the base price jumped from $61k in 2019 to $71k in 2020 for the Shelby GT)

Yeah the price has gone up on the Shelby GT as compared to 2007/2008 but it’s a better value today than it was 13 years ago. Like everyone else, I wish the current 2019/2020 Shelby GT was less expensive but the fact is the 2019/2020 Shelby GT is still a good performance value.

No argument here,  just pointing out some things people may not have considered or known about that impacted why SAI went to a "bespoke" business model for the cars they make at SAI.  

Edited by mhr1961

On 5/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, mhr1961 said:

It wasn't "all about the money". It was about "right sizing" and adapting to a changing business climate.

I have said it on here before, SAI didn’t move away from making several thousand cars a year to making several hundred “bespoke” cars per year with the intent to alienate the “blue collar” guy. The “downsizing"  of SAI at that period in time around 2008/09 was a deliberate, conscious and smart  decision made by Carroll Shelby himself and the management team he had in place back in 2008/09.  One of the primary things that drove that decision was the upcoming required implementation of new EPA/CARB testing and crash testing being forced on manufacturers. If they had stayed the same size they would have had to do both and it just isn’t feasible to crash test and EPA/CARB test and report if you make 5 or 6 thousand cars per year. SAI would have had to amortize those costs in to their offerings and if you are griping about being priced out of the market now,  you would have been complaining even more if SAI had to do crash testing and EPA/CARB. A single crash test can cost $75,000 to $100,000 just for the test procedure and report. Then factor in a prototype car at about $75,000 to $125,000(or more), and a single crash test dummy cost about $100,000. Now consider you would have to sacrifice a car and a dummy for a front crash test, sacrifice a car and dummy for a right side crash test, a car and a dummy for left side, a car and a dummy for rear crash test, and a car and two to four dummies for a rollover test........then if the test fails you go back to the drawing board and have to do it all over again. On top of all that, the cost doubles if you make a both coupe and vert because you have to test both..........it gets really expensive really quick.

SAI is doing what they can to continue his legacy and Carroll is not rolling over in his grave. Carroll knew in order for SAI to survive that they would need to downsize and go to bespoke production and license the bigger production runs to Ford a la GT350/GT500.

You got 320 hp 2007 Shelby GT with  decent performance and a modicum of exclusivity in 2007 for about $37k base MSRP.... that is $115 per hp in 2008 dollars, adjust for inflation and that is $143 per hp in today’s dollars.

Today you get a 480 hp 2020 Shelby GT  excellent performance, better build quality, better suspension/brakes/technology and you get high exclusivity in 2020 for a $71k base MSRP......that is $147/hp. (yes the base price jumped from $61k in 2019 to $71k in 2020 for the Shelby GT)

Yeah the price has gone up on the Shelby GT as compared to 2007/2008 but it’s a better value today than it was 13 years ago. Like everyone else, I wish the current 2019/2020 Shelby GT was less expensive but the fact is the 2019/2020 Shelby GT is still a good performance value.

No argument here,  just pointing out some things people may not have considered or known about that impacted why SAI went to a "bespoke" business model for the cars they make at SAI

On 5/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, mhr1961 said:

No argument here,  just pointing out some things people may not have considered or known about that impacted why SAI went to a "bespoke" business model for the cars they make at SAI

Mhr1961, I have an Idea
You should continue to help out SA by buying a new SGT, your personal choice. You’ll get 0% interest on th
e loan, I believe for the car minus SA package. This will only give you a payment of $763 month for only 7 years with $20k down which you should get from the dealer on your trade in. Please post the new photos once you take delivery. Also this way you’ll be helping SA even more by backing your words and making the purchase. Good luck buying and keep us ALL informed of the progress.

Edited by SWEDEMAN
Grammar

Mhr1961, I have an Idea
You should continue to help out SA by buying a new SGT, your personal choice. You’ll get 0% interest on th
e loan, I believe for the car minus SA package. This will only give you a payment of $763 month for only 7 years with $20k down which you should get from the dealer on your trade in. Please post the new photos once you take delivery. Also this way you’ll be helping SA even more by backing your words and making the purchase. Good luck buying and keep us ALL informed of the progress.

4 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Mhr1961, I have an Idea
e loan, I believe for the car minus SA package. This will only give you a payment of $763 month for only 7 years with $20k down which you should get from the dealer on your trade in. Please post the new photos once you take delivery. Also this way you’ll be helping SA even more by backing your words and making the purchase. Good luck buying and keep us ALL informed of the progress.

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Lol. Please do post pictures of your car or post where we can see it. 

I am a fan and just because I don’t like the numbers $ doesn’t mean I don’t like the car. In fact I think it’s a fantastic car and I’m buying one if the numbers are right. One thing I am sure of is CS himself would have never allowed this, but as you said the “money” is bottom line in any business, I wholeheartedly agree. The BL here is they just alienated the existing Shelby built in customers, that is just short sighted. They also take banter/forum talk personally, I asked about a SC upgrade if I bought one, never answered. That’s just funny, it’s like I’ll make you pay for dissing my SGT, lol. The thing is I’ve always said the SGT was a quality build my issue was they left the entire existing Shelby GT customer behind. Rule number one or should I say business 101, always market to your existing customers. 

I’m looking at 3 right now, 2 on east coast and 1 on west coast, high $60’s in both areas. 

LOL, no pics!  :doh:   :hysterical:   I love all performance cars, especially Shelbys and Vettes and many others too!    Good luck with your search!!  

On 5/5/2020 at 1:56 PM, Mongoose said:

:thumbsup:

LOL, no pics!  :doh:   :hysterical:   I love all performance cars, especially Shelbys and Vettes and many others too!    Good luck with your search!!  

Thank you and enjoy that 2019 SGT, nice car for sure.