TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New owner of #76 1989 CSX

Lousailor

Hey All,

I was up at Harrisburg, PA for the Mecum auction with my poker buds, and "accidently" bought this Shelby. It was not on my radar beforehand, so everything I discover is a new surprise. Dealer info said it was from an estate. It only has 73K on the odometer. Car runs, but needs some updates and tuning.

Here's a few details:

No Body Kit

Recent (only fair) re-spray, original color might be black?

Recaro interior

No seatbelts (looks like there had been a roll bar and harness set-up)

Aftermarket American Racing 15" x 7" alloy wheels

Aftermarket exhaust with no muffler

Aftermarket AFM and Fuel Press gauge in the center console

A strange little toggle switch with a red activation light just left of the steering wheel

Accomplished so far: Plugs, Cap, Rotor, K&N Filter, Oil and filter change, Coolant Flush and fill, man trans fluid, universal replacement 3-point seatbelts

Plans: Replace all belts (incl. timing), KYB Shocks/Struts, Stoptech rotors/pads, centric calipers, stainless brakelines, engine mounts, suspension bushings, etc.

It's fun to drive, but I don't want to overdo it before I can make sure it's solid.

I noticed the boost guage stopped working. Does anyone know where it feeds from?

I also think the clutch might be slipping a little. Any recommendations on an alternative to stock?

Does anyone make an All-Aluminum radiator replacement for this model?

I hope to get her ready for some Autcrossing next year. Thanks for any help you can throw my way

Louie Partida

Virginia Beach, VA

1989_dodge_shadow-ext-front-qtr.jpeg

1989_dodge_shadow-pic-1179329288764725873-1024x768.jpeg

1989_dodge_shadow-pic-1297434963385960138-1024x768.jpeg

1989_dodge_shadow-pic-1515747571131096842-1024x768.jpeg

1989_dodge_shadow-engine.jpeg

• 5 months later...

The vac line for the boost gauge goes through the firewall on the passenger side near the AC block. 

They were all Exotic Red from Shelby. 

That tag to the right of the Shelby Automobiles plaque looks like it was reinstalled in the wrong spot. 

Turbos Unleashed for both the clutch and the rad.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, Lousailor said:

No Body Kit

Recent (only fair) re-spray, original color might be black?

If the car has original black paint then there is definitely a problem. I'm also seeing things in the photos that "possibly hint" this CSX has been re-bodied. Although the body kit is not there the front & rear bumper fascias should have many holes drilled into the fascia where the body kit would have mounted.

The rear hatch emblem and body molding do not have the gold color trim. And like cordes mentioned the Shelby engine plaque does not appear to be mounted in the correct spot.

The car is probably a good candidate for modding the heck out of for any and all types of racing without the fear you will be damaging an original car.

The drivers side rear quarter window has a SDAC car club decal on it, perhaps SDAC  might have some history on the car.

Steven

7 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

If the car has original black paint then there is definitely a problem. I'm also seeing things in the photos that "possibly hint" this CSX has been re-bodied. Although the body kit is not there the front & rear bumper fascias should have many holes drilled into the fascia where the body kit would have mounted.

The rear hatch emblem and body molding do not have the gold color trim. And like cordes mentioned the Shelby engine plaque does not appear to be mounted in the correct spot.

The car is probably a good candidate for modding the heck out of for any and all types of racing without the fear you will be damaging an original car.

The drivers side rear quarter window has a SDAC car club decal on it, perhaps SDAC  might have some history on the car.

Steven

While I think it is highly unlikely someone would shoot the engine bay the proper color when repainting a Shadow/Sundance to make a CSX clone and do that poor of a job on the core support, the last few digits of the VIN are right under the strut tower brace if I'm not mistaken. It should be very quick and easy to figure it out. 

On 3/30/2019 at 8:02 PM, cordes said:

While I think it is highly unlikely someone would shoot the engine bay the proper color when repainting a Shadow/Sundance to make a CSX clone and do that poor of a job on the core support, the last few digits of the VIN are right under the strut tower brace if I'm not mistaken. It should be very quick and easy to figure it out. 

I agree with the painting of the engine compartment but if they had the motor out.................

If I recall correctly Mecum described the car as a garage kept cream puff, the photos contradict that.

Steven

• 8 months later...

Old post but I would add all the stock body kit back to it. The interior is in great shape, it probably was raced. And they remove the wheels and body kit and add the roll bar. Being VNT I would leave it stock and get a 3 bar computer from FWDperformace and a T2/T3 clutch. Then get PT lifters, head studs and MP head gasket from Turbosunleashed. A huge mod they didn't have was a posi, massive when autocrossing and helps with torque steer, Quaife sells a 555 posi for it still. Mine I wanted power so the VNT went away. Teamshelby has Shelby members that have numbers and history on the car. SDAC is a turbo mopar forum club and doesn't keep history on these cars. Todays SDAC basically started in the late 90s about 10 years later and is disconnected with their history when new.