TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery

johncola99

1 hour ago, johncola99 said:

Hey guy's just wondering if anyone has picture's of the original battery in the 07 gt500. Mine is a bxt-40r. But the new has a different case.

thanks

john

John - Here is a picture of the original Motorcraft assy. line battery from my 2008 GT500.............

001.jpg

Note the battery date 092607. 09/26/2007.............

002.jpg

If you go to Ford and buy a battery right now, the listed replacement part number is also BXT 96 R, but the labeling has changed.

R

Edited by Robert M

1 hour ago, johncola99 said:

thanks for the picture's. Mine is a bxt-40r. I would like to upload some of the picture's of my battery, but it say's my file is too large. How did you upload your picture's?

john

I uploaded the pictures to a host site, postimages.org and then linked them to this forum thread. Does your BXT-40R have a 2006 or 2007 date on the label?

When I owned one of each of the Cobra R's, 1993, 1995 and 2000 I found that the 1993 Cobra R had a couple of different batteries that were installed on the Ford assy. line, so I know this does happen.

R

Edited by Robert M

23 hours ago, Robert M said:

John - Here is a picture of the original Motorcraft assy. line battery from my 2008 GT500.............

001.jpg

Note the battery date 092607. 09/26/2007.............

002.jpg

If you go to Ford and buy a battery right now, the listed replacement part number is also BXT 96 R, but the labeling has changed.

R

Ford used two batteries in 07-08 the one you show is a BXE 96  R which is smaller in size & capacity The BXT 40 R is large in size & more crank amps.  The cover & case that it fits in  your car of coarse is larger so be careful when changing your battery to an OEM as the large one won`t fit

BXT 96 R  550 ca  crank amps at 32 F 625

Length 8.97"  Width  6.30"    Height 6.88 " Weight 32 lbs  

BXT 40-R   590 crank amps  at 32 F 735 ca 

Length 10.90"    Width  6.42"  Height  6.88"     Weight 37 lbs.

The only reason Ford might have used the RXT 40 battery in cars going to colder countries for the extra cranking amps  just a guess though.

Hope this helps.

IMG_2479.jpgIMG_2480.jpg

Hey guys , thanks for responding. My original battery has the charger cable on it. The other is a replacement for ford dealer. Original has a YN in front of part number, the other doesn't. Orig has the handle holders on side near top, the other doesn't. The original has a date code of 7B18B41D.I think feb of 07. Both dimension's are the same. The bxt-96 is smaller in dimension's. I really would like to find exact battery if it is out there.

thanks

20 hours ago, johncola99 said:

IMG_2479.jpgIMG_2480.jpg

Hey guys , thanks for responding. My original battery has the charger cable on it. The other is a replacement for ford dealer. Original has a YN in front of part number, the other doesn't. Orig has the handle holders on side near top, the other doesn't. The original has a date code of 7B18B41D.I think feb of 07. Both dimension's are the same. The bxt-96 is smaller in dimension's. I really would like to find exact battery if it is out there.

thanks

Not sure that will happen as slight changes are made in a lot af replacement parts, but good luck .

Mine also had (and still has) a heat shield blanket that is fitted to the BXT-96R case, it sounds like this same heat shield blanket will not fit the BXT-40R if it is a larger case?  I would guess that the larger the case and the closer to the right side cylinder head/valve cover heat, the more need to shield the battery from that heat? or maybe that is why Ford down sized the battery case size? Too much heat in that corner of the engine compartment for battery longevity?

I live in Florida, but my car was originally sold to me from a Northeastern Ford dealership, so I can't say that cold weather regions got the bigger battery because my car came from that region and did not come with that battery.

As it relates to the BXT-40R, have you called your local Ford dealership parts dept. and asked about that part number, and if they can get one?

R

Edited by Robert M

4 hours ago, Robert M said:

Mine also had (and still has) a heat shield blanket that is fitted to the BXT-96R case, it sounds like this same heat shield blanket will not fit the BXT-40R if it is a larger case?  I would guess that the larger the case and the closer to the right side cylinder head/valve cover heat, the more need to shield the battery from that heat? or maybe that is why Ford down sized the battery case size? Too much heat in that corner of the engine compartment for battery longevity?

I live in Florida, but my car was originally sold to me from a Northeastern Ford dealership, so I can't say that cold weather regions got the bigger battery because my car came from that region and did not come with that battery.

As it relates to the BXT-40R, have you called your local Ford dealership parts dept. and asked about that part number, and if they can get one?

R

Yes the BXT 40  has a larger battery shield & case.  

16 hours ago, johncola99 said:

Yes called the dealer and they said the battery case style's can change. 

thanks for the input

john

But do they still offer a BXT-40R for sale? If so, that would be the way to go, if not, then the current replacement for that application will be the only option from Motorcraft.

My thought was......just because the 40 is not listed for the GT500 application now doesn't mean that it is not still available for another application......

R

13 hours ago, shelby001 said:

Yes the BXT 40  has a larger battery shield & case.  

As I mentioned above, it would be interesting to know if the 40 is still available from Ford and then the next question is the battery blanket/shield for that larger case, is it still available?

R

I'm on with my local Ford parts dept. right now, he has 2 BXT-40R's in stock.

He is looking through the original Ford applications beginning in 1995 thru current, Contour, Mystic, Cougar, Escape........all the way to now Transit. He says that there are no Mustang applications listed in the Ford documentation for the 40 series and that the current BXT-96R has the exact same 590 rating as the 40.

I had not paid much attention, but apparently the BXT-96R has been upgraded over the years from it's original 500 as shown in my pictures to a current 590. I have a Shelby cover on my battery currently, so I can not verify the label information.

019.jpg

R

OP, there is a ton of battery discussion about this very issue on many forums. There were apparently 2 different batteries used. Here is a thread that has some input that may answer some questions about your battery "mystery".

4 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

OP, there is a ton of battery discussion about this very issue on many forums. There were apparently 2 different batteries used. Here is a thread that has some input that may answer some questions about your battery "mystery".

^^^Good link, also interesting that the 2007 manual mentions two battery options specifically. Nice information!

Since the 40 series is mentioned in the owners manual for a 2007, I would buy that battery from my Ford dealership if that was original to my 2007, and call it a day.

R

Edited by Robert M

On 8/31/2018 at 11:19 AM, Robert M said:

I'm on with my local Ford parts dept. right now, he has 2 BXT-40R's in stock.

He is looking through the original Ford applications beginning in 1995 thru current, Contour, Mystic, Cougar, Escape........all the way to now Transit. He says that there are no Mustang applications listed in the Ford documentation for the 40 series and that the current BXT-96R has the exact same 590 rating as the 40.

I had not paid much attention, but apparently the BXT-96R has been upgraded over the years from it's original 500 as shown in my pictures to a current 590. I have a Shelby cover on my battery currently, so I can not verify the label information.

019.jpg

R

So what is the L ,  w & height of  the upgraded BXT 96 R ? 

well, The variables have been pointed out which may have resulted in a slightly different battery being substituted at times. If a BTX40R is what you said was in it originally, and the supplement says BTX40R,  then I would say go ahead and put the BTX40R in and call it day 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, shelby001 said:

So what is the L ,  w & height of  the upgraded BXT 96 R ? 

I will check that tomorrow, it is behind a box with a hood in it.

I am going to measure the original, because I believe it is the same size as the replacement since the original battery blanket fits the replacement exactly as it did on the original.

R

Edited by Robert M

7 hours ago, johncola99 said:

I know this is alot of info. Attached is the 2007 gt500 supplement guide. I only see the bxt40r battery for the vehicle. The batteries listed on page 241 is for a 4.0 and 4.6.

thanks

john

ps the super snake looks Bad A??.

07mussg1e.pdf

Yes, I see the BXT-40-R only listed on page 34.

^^^Thanks.....,,,Lots and I mean LOTS of money spent on that car since the time I received it back from Shelby in early 2009.

It is a fun time.........when it gets taken out.

Getting some real tires on my car front and rear, as well as the stance the way I wanted it was my first costly project.........

004_zpsyrjdflrk.jpg

013_zpsrznssjzl.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

2 hours ago, carnut12 said:

I just replaced my 2nd battery, went with an Interstate from Costco, best out there for the money.  My original lasted 6-7 years, my Napa lasted 3-4, I am hoping for at least 5 out of this one.

I stayed with Motorcraft, with a 100 month battery warranty (prorated after 36 months), I could not find anyone with that length of warranty for the money.........For a little over $100 and the oem fit with the original battery heat shield/blanket, I did see any other brand of battery that would equal. The Motorcraft battery looks at home as being "correct" and in reality, I can't imagine that replacement Motorcraft lasting 100 months, so Ford will chip in some $$ when it comes time to be prorated and I will have another 100 month Motorcraft battery in that corner of the engine compartment until it no longer functions.

R

Edited by Robert M

2 hours ago, Robert M said:

I will check that tomorrow, it is behind a box with a hood in it.

I am going to measure the original, because I believe it is the same size as the replacement since the original battery blanket fits the replacement exactly as it did on the original.

R

UPDATE - I had a few minutes to move stuff around and get to that battery.

I measured at the narrower bottom area, the battery is wider just above the mounting area.

006.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

Another indicator that my 2008 battery is original.......

010.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

As I previously mentioned, I was able to slip my original battery blanket/heat shield onto the replacement Motorcraft battery so the dimensions are the same and one other point of interest..........That Shelby battery box that is shown in one of my posts above.......that cover sits directly on top of the battery and attaches with a bolt and "T" bracket with the oem wedge block to secure this battery in place. If the replacement battery were taller, the "T" bracket would not attach and if it were a shorter replacement, there would be space between the cover and the battery top.

One other thing as it relates to this subject..........The battery blanket that is original to my car, with original Ford part number has been changed by Ford at some point in production. The replacement has a different part number and there were a couple of differences. Since my original blanket was in perfect condition, I put it away and installed a new replacement blanket instead. Both blankets were the same size and fit, but there were some differences at the bottom in the mounting area, and the part number.

Here is my original 2008 GT500 heat blanket and the replacement Ford part number bag below.............My Ford parts friend said that the engineering number on my original blanket crossed to another part number and that part number had gone obsolete and been superseded to the part number shown on the Ford bag.

014.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

The Shelby battery box/cover that I previously posted a picture of slides snuggly (but not too snug) over the battery blanket after it is installed on the BXT-96R battery.

R

Edited by Robert M

2 hours ago, Robert M said:

I stayed with Motorcraft, with a 100 month battery warranty (prorated after 36 months), I could not find anyone with that length of warranty for the money.........For a little over $100 and the oem fit with the original battery heat shield/blanket, I did see any other brand of battery that would equal. The Motorcraft battery looks at home as being "correct" and in reality, I can't imagine that replacement Motorcraft lasting 100 months, so Ford will chip in some $$ when it comes time to be prorated and I will have another 100 month Motorcraft battery in that corner of the engine compartment until it no longer functions.

R

Not a bad price at all, the blanket fit perfect over mine as well so it looks like they are the same size.  Next time I might go the Motorcraft Route, by the way mine was $76 for those that may be looking.

15 hours ago, carnut12 said:

Not a bad price at all, the blanket fit perfect over mine as well so it looks like they are the same size.  Next time I might go the Motorcraft Route, by the way mine was $76 for those that may be looking.

That is nice to know about the blanket also fitting the Interstate battery.

R

22 hours ago, carnut12 said:

I just replaced my 2nd battery, went with an Interstate from Costco, best out there for the money.  My original lasted 6-7 years, my Napa lasted 3-4, I am hoping for at least 5 out of this one.

Still have my BXT40 R in my `07 & it still going. I have had great service from Motorcraft batteries 

Edited by shelby001

6 hours ago, shelby001 said:

Still have my BXT40 R in my `07 & it still going. I have had great service from Motorcraft batteries 

I got 13 years out of an original assy. line Motorcraft battery in a 1995 Cobra R and 8 years out of an original in a 2000 Cobra R. I must admit, those batteries were on Battery Tenders when the cars were in the garage, so that may have helped the battery longevity. When they did die, there was no previous indication, I got in the car, turned the key, and there was not even a click on either one of them, they were just dead. Luckily both happened in the garage instead of out at a car show.

R

Edited by Robert M

14 hours ago, Robert M said:

I got 13 years out of an original assy. line Motorcraft battery in a 1995 Cobra R and 8 years out of an original in a 2000 Cobra R. I must admit, those batteries were on Battery Tenders when the cars were in the garage, so that may have helped the battery longevity. When they did die, there was no previous indication, I got in the car, turned the key, and there was not even a click on either one of them, they were just dead. Luckily both happened in the garage instead of out at a car show.

R

Same here I use my tender all  the time

• 2 weeks later...

Either battery will fit your car. After you remove the battery you will see some plastic tabs that center the battery side to side that are removable in case you put the 40 R instead of the 96 R. If you want to reuse your existing battery blanket you would have to keep the same battery size. Motorcraft and Interstate batteries come from the same manufacturing facility and on the 96 R size the Interstate battery is the same case color as the original and not green like most of there batteries. 

Mark