TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5 speed conversion

Well, I was given a Tremec 5 speed manual transmission out of a wrecked 2007 Shelby GT.  Just the tranny that has been sitting a while.  Car had about 28K on odometer before it was wrecked and parted.  Trans was in a garage of a house that was being sold.  Owner, said take it and its yours to clean out garage.  One of a few last items.  Did find some powered by ford badges and the front grill emblem and rear Shelby letters as well.  Nothing else.  So I took it.  No bell housing, hydraulic throw out bearing, master with reservoir, lines, flywheel, pedal box, wiring, computer sensors etc.

That said, wonder how difficult to acquire these parts to make a auto to manual conversion.   

Looks like a complete 2005-2010 Mustang GT 3V new automatic to Tremec 3650 conversion kit with all necessary parts to include trans is about 5K.  Most likely more hassle than it would be worth but putting a 5speed manual in the GT-H/SC  would be cool.

Never really bought the car for future value.  Heck they are cheap now.  Mine has a Terlingua deep draw hood, Shelby installed Paxton (GTH/SC), Shelby Bear brakes, painted over top stripes etc so its not original anymore.  That said, I do have all take off parts.  I guess only time will tell.  That said the swap would be cool.  However, so much easer with the older non computer cars.   In addition, the older HERTZ cars with the auto swapped still bring a premium so should history repeat itself the tranny swap may not be an issue unless concours judging.  I most likely will not be around to see those values if they really do happen. 

I have also thought about it too many times and SA is dangerously close to home.  It is your car to enjoy and if you bought it to drive and enjoy, what it is worth is irreverent.  I don’t know about the rest of you, but if I were looking to buy a GT-H, I would pay the premium for the upgrade to a stick shift (original or otherwise) and I am sure others would as well.  I own multiple manual transmission Mustangs, a manual transmission Superduty and a manual transmission Excursion so I may be a little biased.  As pointed out, you could always include all the orig8nal parts if someone ever wanted to swap it back.  I say go for it!  

This thread triggered someone to reach out to me about the trans.  Person needed one for their car which is a manual car.  So I sold it.  Figured piece meal sourcing would be a PIA.   Guess if I were to do it, I would just buy the entire swap kit and locate a HURST shifter.   I do have a TCI ratchet shifter that I have never installed.  Its plug and play.  Maybe some day I'll install it.   If anyone does this swap, please reach out and share the experience.