TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2019 Super Snake vs 2014 Super Snake

I am brand new to Team Shelby and brand new to Shelby, as an owner. I’ve always given great respect to the Snake, but never committed to purchase, until now. I’ve just sold my 2014 Camaro ZL1; with head and cam package and still provide shelter to a 2016 Challenger Hellcat, with pulleys and a tune. So, a grey, 2014 wide-body Super Snake, reared it’s pretty head in an advert, at a small, Mass. dealer, and I was hooked. 

I visited my local Ford dealer, which had two 2017 Super Snakes, which, to me, were very anticlimactic. I was expecting soooo much more, but they seemed quite tame, at least, to bare the Super Snake badge. Not to mention, were north of the $100k mark (until a few, unsold months later, at $90k). The hood was slightly vented, and the body-lines seemed less dramatic than the GT350R, which one happened to be parked, just beside these two Snakes.

Web searching, endlessly, for ANY Super Snake for sale, I kept getting pulled into the ‘13/‘14 widebody styles, with they’re large, hood opening and massive 345 width tires. With only a brief glimpse of 2018/19 widebody concepts, I still wasn’t sold on the look. Especially, knowing the NEW GT500 is on the way and may change things up at Shelby, N American, as far as Super Snakes go. 

My question for you guys is, what reasons attracted you to this late-model Super Snake, over earlier Snakes? Is it body preference or, maybe, the modern, interior amenities? Even when you can still purchase a pre ‘15 Snake with less than a 500 miles on the odometer? Btw, I was attracted to the 2015 Snake, with the earlier-style hood, but, ultimately fell for the earlier widebody, with the 900hp package. 

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you all!

ps- I meant all late-model Super Snakes, up to 2019 VS 2014 and below...thanks

Edited by Widesnake

I can totally relate to your passion for the older wide body Super Snakes they are extremely awesome rides. Looks are very subjective but as far as aggressive stance badassness goes they are right up there with anything on the road.  However, is just like any older car.  It does not take long for a car to seem very outdated. There is a huge difference in the interior fit finish and technology between a 2014 car and a 2018/19 model.  That is not even getting into the engine/transmission technology differences! I held out for the 2018(wide body) even over the 2017 for the new 10 speed auto/engine updates  and the new interior updates(digital cluster). All depends on what you want. Some people may not care about that stuff at all. I got a great deal on a 2007 Porsche turbo and it was a great car but the interior appointments seemed 100 years old compared to new models. Drove me nuts. I don't think you could go wrong with any wide body Super Snake new or old. Just know what you are getting or not getting by purchasing an older model. BTW this is my first Super Snake as well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Edited by Toddlaing12

While you’ve mentioning tech differences, I just happened to be cruising on the highway and a brand-new Mustang GT rolled up on me, got the drop and it took me some serious effort to catch his ass!!! Even with 900ponies under the hood, dumping the clutch to catch up..Makes me wonder what a late-model Snake could REALLY do, on open road. 

Please share your experiences with me, when you finally take possession of your new Snake!!! .....and, damn, there’s a lot more cheap plastic on these older Shelbys, but a blast to drive!!!

12 hours ago, Widesnake said:

While you’ve mentioning tech differences, I just happened to be cruising on the highway and a brand-new Mustang GT rolled up on me, got the drop and it took me some serious effort to catch his ass!!! Even with 900ponies under the hood, dumping the clutch to catch up..Makes me wonder what a late-model Snake could REALLY do, on open road. 

Please share your experiences with me, when you finally take possession of your new Snake!!! .....and, damn, there’s a lot more cheap plastic on these older Shelbys, but a blast to drive!!!

Going to be hard to match the speed of that new quick shifting 10 speed auto. That is the  main reason I waited on the 2018! 

Edited by Toddlaing12

I’ve never seen the drop-top, widened!! That’s gorgeous...?

Hell, it would probably look good on ANY level of Mustang, especially since Toddlaing12 stated the plain truth...even a 900hp monster can be tamed by the new gen tech. It makes me feel like the bad guy from the EYE-LAB commercials! 

But, we do look good (still) and keeping the driving record clean, is such a plus these days ?

Both cars are great or the 2019 will be great but the 2019 S.S. already has a big advantage and that the IRS is just a better handling suspension then what came on the 2014 plus the 2019 S.S. will have the Magna-Ride suspension as an option and that is just far superior to the live-axle with Eibach coil-overs.

However, the 10r80/10spd Automatic transmission is so superior to the 6spd Manual unless S. Vettel is driving the 2014 Manual S.S.

I am however a huge fan of the 5.8 GT500 engine and having my shop working on the programming for swapping the 10r80 into the 2013-2014 GT500 then I am going to do this swap

In case wondering why I would do this is because a severe injury doesn't allow me to use a clutch and I am a huge fan of those 5.8 engines and since Ford didn't offer one then I will build it

I currently have a 2016 Shelby GT350 and have a 2019 Super Snake with the 10R80 on order, cotus currently states 1 day till SA delivery.  I recently bought my wife a 2018 GT5.0 with the 10R80 and that thing is quick for stock for what it is.  I would like to stay updated on what you all experience with yours once built and I will share once I receive mine.  

If I were buying a Mustang today it would be a New one, the IRS, Tech, Build Quality, and significantly superior Automatic (If that is what you want) makes it an easy decision.

Being based off the Mustang GT in many ways is an advantage, lighter and handles much better.

That said if I were buying a car today for this much it wouldn’t be a Mustang, but that’s just me.  Viper is on my bucket list or possibly another Porsche, they are the best cars I’ve owned.

Good luck!!!

• 1 month later...