TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replace brake pads and fluid for track days?

Poppadeizal

I've never tracked a car before. Ive found a place to got to with a reasonable price. But now I am wondering. What don't I know? Total newby. I'm gonna show up all excited and ready to learn and find out there's twenty things everybody there is already prepared for and I have no idea.

Common my shelby brothers! Any advise to make this first track day not miserable? 

After. Chances are your pads, rotors and fluids are fine if all you've done is daily driving.  Then you get to drive on new ones until the next track day. 

And if you've never tracked before, chances are you'll be fine even after.  Try hard as you might you're probably not going to wear a set out on your first track day.

Edited by twobjshelbys

I say this from experience.  At Bondurant they watch the brakes and give you feedback on your use.  On the 4 day class noone needed changes.  On my advanced class I got 1 day (out of a car that had 1 day before me) before they changed the pads.   As you get more experience you brake later and harder. 

And I'm completely inexperienced. I'm planning on going to Sebring. I've been reading about guys saying 80 to 90 percent. Im thinking 75? and no more. 

At least for the first time out. Last thing I want is to damage the nicest car I've ever owned.

On 5/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, Secondo said:

You'l need to change your brake fluid to a higher boiling point racing-type DOT4 or higher fluid. Motul RBF600 is a good fluid. If you don't, you risk losing your brakes from the repeated hard braking you'll do at the track.

^^^^^^^^^ This!

Noticeably better bite! DOT3 is squishy compared to DOT4, even during daily use.

Just got done with a track day with Team Shelby Nationals at Summit Point raceway in WVA. Compared to last year I have added significant HP so I wanted to be confident the brakes were trustworthy at this event.  Last year it was new rotors and ceramic pads along w Motul 600 fluid. All went well but there were times I was a bit scared as they felt like they could have done a better job. 

So this year, new Hawk Pads and resurfaced rotors. Same fluid. Front Hawks were their Street / Race pad and HP plus in the back. Well, the car can stop on a dime and I had a lot of confidence at the track.  Now, a day after however on our Team Shelby trip to Carlisle my brakes squeak and even groan!  I might have to switch back to my ceramics!  Also, the brake dust after the track was thick as can be and a pain to clean. It's a trade off but I wanted stopping power!!

17 hours ago, Bruce2009KR said:

Just got done with a track day with Team Shelby Nationals at Summit Point raceway in WVA. Compared to last year I have added significant HP so I wanted to be confident the brakes were trustworthy at this event.  Last year it was new rotors and ceramic pads along w Motul 600 fluid. All went well but there were times I was a bit scared as they felt like they could have done a better job. 

So this year, new Hawk Pads and resurfaced rotors. Same fluid. Front Hawks were their Street / Race pad and HP plus in the back. Well, the car can stop on a dime and I had a lot of confidence at the track.  Now, a day after however on our Team Shelby trip to Carlisle my brakes squeak and even groan!  I might have to switch back to my ceramics!  Also, the brake dust after the track was thick as can be and a pain to clean. It's a trade off but I wanted stopping power!!

Great job on the brake system! Yeah the Ceramics aren't going to hold up on the track they're more for comfort and Street driving they are quiet and don't dust as much. But the Hawks are definitely going to bite at the track but not so much comfort on the street they will cause a lot of dust and noise. Since you have a GT500 with the Brembo brakes they are designed for quick pad changes you can quickly put the ceramic back in for street driving and vice versa.

• 11 months later...

I have so me of the same questions as original post. M first track day with my 2018 Shelby gt 350 is scheduled for June 22 2019 at Sebring. Does anyone know if the ford Shelby gt350 comes with the high temp break fluid from factory or not. It seems to be pretty track ready so I was thinking it may but need to find out  I have just 2000 Miles on mine so am thinking breaks and tires will be fine for a 2 day track HPDE event   Btw I’m a total novice as well to the track.  

Edited by TequestaShelby

+1 Motul RBF600 and brake pad upgrade (I use Hawk HPS all the time...no squeal here). There's also a glaze on the rotors from the previous pads that should be cleaned off before installing new pads. Then the pads/rotors should be properly bedded in so they function at their best. Then if you actually want to have fun the cooling system needs to be upgraded both the radiator and heat exchanger (it's a drag when the power goes away due to heatsoak).

I created a checklist before every track day of things that need to be checked or changed. I once was in a situation where my car was used by two different drivers in back-to-back sessions...the car was driven non-stop for 40+ minutes. I was glad I had properly prepped the car...it ran flawlessly.

Be careful...you might get addicted to the 3rd and 4th gear pulls...listening to the supercharger and exhaust...it's a fun rush. Enjoy your time. :)

• 2 weeks later...