TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My latest issue and the Mod that ensued

So after I installed the Ken Bell, I had way too much power for the stock clutch and new it would only last as long as I was easy on it.  I babied it for a few years with the occasional spirited driving.  Well that got kind of boring, so a bunch of us decided to go to the local 8th mile and have some fun on test and tune night to see what our cars would do.  Needless to say the clutch didn't last much longer. I replaced it with a McLeod street extreme which was rated to 700hp and 700 torque, more than good enough in my opinion.

So now that the clutch was allowing 100% of the power/torque to reach the transmission and not slipping (like the stock one was), the weakest link was now my transmission.  The 3650 is not rated very high as far as how much torque it can handle, I think it's like 340.  Anyway, found out fast with a few more visits to the track that what fails first is the snap ring that holds 5th gear on the shaft. Since it's the last gear on the shaft, the tiny little snap ring holding it in place and the rest of the gears in front of it, all the torque is applied straight through it. The snap ring fails from the torque as you progress through the gears, launch through 3 or 4 if I reached it.  later when driving and all the pieces of the snap ring are now off, I shifted into 5th and it slid back on the shaft, so now no 5th gear. 1-4 worked fine so I was able to get home without issue. First time (yes first time) I bought a reman transmission, $1000. I got lucky, the shop that did the clutch said they would put it in at no charge so I didn't have to pay for labor. a little under a year later the same thing happened. fortunately it was under warrantee and all I had to pay for was remove and replace. was still $600.  This time it lasted 5 months and I have now given up in the 3650.  Had it fixed and removed to sell

I wanted something that would hold the power so I talked to Modern Driveline who were completely Awesome in my opinion and purchased the T56 Magnum XL 6 speed kit. It came with everything I needed for the complete conversion. It's only been a few hundred miles, so sill breaking it in, but it's really a night and day comparison. It shifts soo smoothly being a remote shifter and not having any external linkage.  The Only thing I didn't replace was the flywheel, it was only 6 months old (replaced at second trans issue), so the shop sent it out to have it resurfaced and it was good to go.  the kit has you reuse the TOB so I replaced it with a McLeod. 

Hoping this is the end of my transmission issues, and figured I'd share my story.

I will have a 3650, 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, hurst shifter, and McLeod clutch to sell if anyone is local and interested in it.   located in the VA Beach VA area, local only, wont ship unless buyer wants to pay shipping

Here's a few pics    

s-l1600.jpg

trans 2.jpg

trans 5.jpg

Edited by MyBlueHeaven
added pic

• 4 weeks later...

Installed a 6060 right before these came out and I sure wish I had waited.  

Designed almost exclusively with S197 Mustangs in mind, this new model draws from a combination of proven OE (Shelby GT500) and racing (Grand Am Cup) technologies. Featuring an application specific ‘direct-shift’ extension housing, the Magnum solves the issue of numb, inaccurate shifts offered by the factory semi-remote shifter; replacing them instead with crisp, clean, confidence-inspiring throws. The S197’s exceptional driver ergonomics are maintained; along with the added ability to custom tailor shift action thanks to TREMEC’s innovative “adjustable-bias” short throw shifter, standard on every new assembly!

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Shelby-Don said:

Did the transmission swap (6 spd for 5 spd) require a new tune ?

No new tune to drive it. However I will need to take it to someone to modify the tables in the ECU for the cruise control to work properly. The ratios for are slightly different and the addition of 6th gear throw it off. I haven't done that yet, but I can probably count on one hand the # of times I've used the CC in the last 8+ years of owning it. So not really in a big hurry.

Jeff

1 hour ago, MyBlueHeaven said:

No new tune to drive it. However I will need to take it to someone to modify the tables in the ECU for the cruise control to work properly. The ratios for are slightly different and the addition of 6th gear throw it off. I haven't done that yet, but I can probably count on one hand the # of times I've used the CC in the last 8+ years of owning it. So not really in a big hurry.

Jeff

Cruise Control ???? what is that ? lol

3 hours ago, MyBlueHeaven said:

Jeff

Thanks for the response, With 4:10's installed the gears are really short and I was thinking if I every have transmission problems maybe the 6 spd would be the way to go.

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, MyBlueHeaven said:

Lol, I know, but I'm one of those types that likes things to work the way they're supposed to, even if I never use it again.

Jeff

+1.....I'm exactly the same way Jeff!