TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Throttle Response Issue

Shelbygolfpro

Hello guys, looking for some advice or answers to what seems to be a minor problem. Has anyone experienced hitting the gas to give our rides a quick rev and it feels as though it is laggy or not as responsive? This is what has happened to me a couple times now:  I go to give my Shelby a quick couple revs for some friends or another fellow enthusiast and it simply just doesn't feel as responsive. For how much gas I apply, the RPMs do not match what it typically would given the same amount of gas. If I wait a few seconds and do it again, it will feel normal and just as responsive as it should. It is kind of hard to explain the feeling but I have never experienced it before in either of my cars. It did not do this until about a month after I installed my Whipple back in September, car went into storage all winter and I brought her out last night and it did it twice to me but then once again, all felt normal. Each time this has happened, temperatures have been under 60 degrees if that means anything. It still drives and feels as powerful as it should (at least I think so, still pulls a couple cars on my friends Termi) when I am cruising but it worries me a bit. Would this have anything to do with my clutch and flywheel? I am replacing both as well as TOB and adding high performance clutch line in the next few weeks. Any input would help my mind ease a bit!

59 minutes ago, Shelbygolfpro said:

Hello guys, looking for some advice or answers to what seems to be a minor problem. Has anyone experienced hitting the gas to give our rides a quick rev and it feels as though it is laggy or not as responsive? This is what has happened to me a couple times now:  I go to give my Shelby a quick couple revs for some friends or another fellow enthusiast and it simply just doesn't feel as responsive. For how much gas I apply, the RPMs do not match what it typically would given the same amount of gas. If I wait a few seconds and do it again, it will feel normal and just as responsive as it should. It is kind of hard to explain the feeling but I have never experienced it before in either of my cars. It did not do this until about a month after I installed my Whipple back in September, car went into storage all winter and I brought her out last night and it did it twice to me but then once again, all felt normal. Each time this has happened, temperatures have been under 60 degrees if that means anything. It still drives and feels as powerful as it should (at least I think so, still pulls a couple cars on my friends Termi) when I am cruising but it worries me a bit. Would this have anything to do with my clutch and flywheel? I am replacing both as well as TOB and adding high performance clutch line in the next few weeks. Any input would help my mind ease a bit!

Could be a number of different things. Since you mentioned you had your car in storage all winter, I am guessing you got a little water that separated out in your gas. You could drain the tank and refill with fresh gas or just run through the current tank of gas and then fill 'er up afterwards to see if that fixes the problem before you go trying  more expensive trouble shooting, especially since you didn't mention any codes being thrown. Some people may say just put an additive in the tank to absorb the water. I don’t like additives because of potential engine damage, but that’s just me. I had some slight hesitation one time from driving my SGT after letting it sit in the garage for a couple of months. Just driving out the old tank of gas and refilling fixed it. Good luck.

I will definitely give that a try to see if that works. However, the first time this happened was back in October when I was still driving it regularly and getting fresh gas in it. Doesn't happen all the time either, have just noticed it on occasion. I'll drain this gas down and fill her back up and see what happens.

I’ll second on the gas and always try simple first. With so much additives in today’s gas the shelf life is very short.  I have been using Enzyme Eater for a while now and it makes a difference.   With that additive you should not have to drain the gas unless it’s too far gone.

Outside of that, next 2 things:  

Fuel delivery .  When installing the whipple was a new pump and rails installed?  

What tune is in the car?  A tuner, such as Bama would help you out as you could hook the tuner up, run the car and record the tune and send it to Bama. They will see what’s going on and send you back a custom tune to smooth it out. 

Edited by mfield2a

Excellent advise, run the gas tank through.

1 hour ago, mfield2a said:

Fuel delivery .  When installing the whipple was a new pump and rails installed?

mfield2a makes a good point regarding fuel delivery. You installed the SC last fall, was it a "Shelby" shop install?

The reason I ask is wondering if your fuel pump was upgraded (i.e., GT500 dual pumps, or a boost-a-pump)? If not; you're starving the engine. Not trying to sound condescending, just covering basic bases. 

OR ... maybe your Traction Control module is kicking in and reducing engine power to regain traction?

Thanks for all the advice and input so far! This only seems to happen when not in gear. I will try the additive as the first step. The Whipple install was done by Brenspeed, I am sure some of you guys on here have heard of the shop. They are not a "Shelby" shop but a very reputable Mustang speed shop. They did a fantastic job in my opinion and I had a very good experience with them. I do have GT500 dual pumps installed as well as new fuel rails, injectors, etc. and Brenspeed also did the tune and I have a tuner from them.

I put my summer wheels back on last night that are wrapped in semi-fresh Nitto INVOs and everything seemed normal as far as traction/RPMs goes when making a few rolling pulls,  like I said it seems to be only when not in gear. But my thoughts are, if it happens when not in gear it likely has to be happening on occasion when in gear it just might be harder to notice at that power level. Inclement weather for me for the next several days so won't get a chance to run the additive and see if it helps. 

7 hours ago, Shelbygolfpro said:

The Whipple install was done by Brenspeed, I am sure some of you guys on here have heard of the shop. 

Top notch speed shop for sure.

As crazy as this sounds, I wonder if they loaded a tune in for a auto trans by mistake.