TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Final GT500 production numbers Covert/Coupe

AHH with so many rumors and inside supposed spy's and friends of a friend and who said whats and who knows who... we might as well wait for the press release. :redcard: We go on conjecture time and time again. :banghead: Every thread claims to know. I agree with Shelbydude in that the numbers are not counted of official yet. :rant: I think they made more than we think to take advantage of a first year market. :doh: I also think 2009 will NOT happen, no reason with so many other Mustang project surfacing. The GT500 will be old hat after 2008.

All we really need is ONE reliable person, or we wait and hear it with the rest of the world. But until then, still a crap shoot and just a bunch of hear say. :banghead:

Dan if read my post

this was in there

If you want believe them.

If not that's ok too.

Just passing on the info I have

time will tell.(But just fyi as of this past monday svt calculate all the numbers they just havent realeased them yet. )

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AHH with so many rumors and inside supposed spy's and friends of a friend and who said whats and who knows who... we might as well wait for the press release. :redcard: We go on conjecture time and time again. :banghead: Every thread claims to know. I agree with Shelbydude in that the numbers are not counted of official yet. :rant: I think they made more than we think to take advantage of a first year market. :doh: I also think 2009 will NOT happen, no reason with so many other Mustang project surfacing. The GT500 will be old hat after 2008.

All we really need is ONE reliable person, or we wait and hear it with the rest of the world. But until then, still a crap shoot and just a bunch of hear say. :banghead:

Dan - this is what we do here. What you say makes just too much sense. We speculate, pontificate, soap box-icate, regurgitate - time and time again. Let's now kick it up a notch - what do we think the ADMs for '09 will be? :headspin::lurk:

Dan if read my post

this was in there

If you want believe them.

If not that's ok too.

Just passing on the info I have

time will tell.(But just fyi as of this past monday svt calculate all the numbers they just havent realeased them yet. )

They must know the #s.

This is the computer age, every car is counted, they know how many are shipped, how many are sitting on the lots, colors, options,ect.

It will be interesting to see WHICH reliable source is correct with all the different numbers being giving out.

Son-of-GT's reliable source saif 12,775

This source says 10,864

When I just talked to SVT on Monday they told me they didn't have the numbers yet and would not have them until August. They said they were in the middle of working on that now. They said it was a complicated task because they have to pull all the vins out for the GT500 and then figure out what each build number is from that. I asked if they at least had a total number built and they said not yet.

So according to SVT who is doing the count and build numbers on these, they said they didn't have any totals yet. Yet other sources claim to know the numbers before SVT has even completed an actual count!

So either SVT was just not releasing it yet and they did know, or someone is in the know before SVT has completed the count! If that was the case then why does SVT need to do a count if someone else already knows the actual numbers????

The "Gee, we're just now working on it and won't be done til Thanksgiving..." thing is an absolute crock. I can tell you exactly how many GT500s were produced through my production date. I have it in writing from Ford. I guarantee you they didn't simply lose count or stopped counting after June 27th of last year (my build date).

While Ford Performance/SVT may be involved or even head up any effort to document our cars, they didn't build them.

Remember those pesky things called "material hold"? The factory has about a 48 hour supply of materials for any given car at any given time. That's impossible if they don't know exactly how many cars and when they're being produced.

We can speculate all we wish, but the facts lead to that they absolutely know the numbers, but have more important things to do.

And a special note to SVT. If you REALLY don't know the production and sequence numbers, try this:

Get an Excel list of all VINs from the AAI line in MY2007. Isolate the 8th (I think that's it) digit of the VIN when it's an "S". That denotes the 5.4 liter engine and it's the only vehicle off that line that has a 5.4 and will include all verts and coupes, in order. There, you're done. I'm just guessing it won't take til August. I can do it on my freakin' TREO 700 in about 60 seconds if you'll give me the VIN list. Just trying to help.

:waiting:

bj

I guess the more I think about it, I don't care how many they built or will build in 2008, I think so long as we do not see a third year, I will be happy! :happy feet: A third year will make us all mad as prices WILL come down, the market will saturate, and this will be all over the palce.... then what? Lets just hope no 2009. :banghead:

Hate to burst your bubble Dan, but it will happen. Ford makes the same no matter what the price of the car and they are selling. They also need them to take them through to the 2010 body change. If you choose not to believe it thats ok. They did it with every previous cobra and se. This reliable source is pretty high up on the totum pole. Just because you don't want them to doesn't mean ford will not build it. The only way it wouldn't get built is if they changed their mind on the boss and but it into this body style. You know that won't happen because everything is ready for the 2010 body. Sorry dude, but ford being late in its body change estimates has a lot do do with it. Anyone notice DHG is offically listed a color for 2008. LA auto show the bullitt will debut.

Roger

just my .02...

It matters not what we specilate here or whether opinion is 90/10 pro or con. Ford told the press in April '06 that it's a three year run. That was their stated intention at a point in time, but it might change, imo, if the refresh moves in a year or Ford winds up having to offer rebates to move the late '08s (rather unlikely).

Ford is in the car business to make money, not subsidize exclusivity. When they state anticipated production numbers, it's a recognition that it matters to a particular audience (otherwise they don't usually state that); it's not a commitment to limit (or produce) that many -- the marketplace demand, supply contracts, production logistics, plant capacity, competitiive positioning, etc. can all affect it.

Even with a 3rd year it is far more exclusive than the 'vettes -- even if you subtract out all those wussy automatic 'vettes :lol: GT500 production is only 60-something percent of that ...pretty darn exclusive, imo!

Numbers... I don't know which are right, but I guarantee it isn't SVT who counts them. And even if SVT knew right now (and they might), SVT customer service will be about the last to know.. they'll find out just before it's officially released by Ford (same as any other model) lest they accidentally tell one of us over the phone before the nums are official. Customer Service is only told what they need to know and when they need to know it.

Does Ford already know how many were produced? Of course!! Within moments of the last one officially clearing the striping plant, the data was available (actually, before it went). The nums have to get scrubbed, reflect any adjustments, get validated and signed-off. Then they'll get rolled up with the GT and V6 nums, etc. When the business process has run it's course, the nums will be officially released. Those will be the official production numbers that will go in the books and are likely already known. Just judging from Ford Media release dates for monthly production, the lag seems to be a week or so after month-end, but that's just an observation having nothing to do with the Mustang per se.

My guess is that we'll see Ford-blessed official numbers very soon (this coming week??).

Then we can all collect on our 'bets' <lol>

;)

It will be interesting to see WHICH reliable source is correct with all the different numbers being giving out.

This source says 10,864

When I just talked to SVT on Monday they told me they didn't have the numbers yet and would not have them until August. They said they were in the middle of working on that now. They said it was a complicated task because they have to pull all the vins out for the GT500 and then figure out what each build number is from that. I asked if they at least had a total number built and they said not yet.

So according to SVT who is doing the count and build numbers on these, they said they didn't have any totals yet. Yet other sources claim to know the numbers before SVT has even completed an actual count!

So either SVT was just not releasing it yet and they did know, or someone is in the know before SVT has completed the count! If that was the case then why does SVT need to do a count if someone else already knows the actual numbers????

SD you yourself have posted nurmorus times exactly how many Gt 500's ,what colors, body types and where they are located that are available today. Of course Ford knows exactly how many have been made both verts and coups.

The #'s that black shelby has given us reflect the total # of verts and the total # coups. They are very specific . I believe do them.

I believe the reason Ford doesn't want to release the #'s yet is to allow some more time to sell the last 07's . The reason they now say the 08 #'s will be smaller may be to keep the interest in the car and thus the thought that they will still be a scarce commodity. This may also be true too and there may only be 8000 or so but they want prospective buyers to know now.

This source says 10,864

My guess is they have known the numbers for a long time. They have to project the number of parts to order in all departments, they have weekly meetings, they have forecasts like any major corporation. They have probably known the total build months ago...now the question is...do they want to release this information to the public at this moment. BTW, if they didn't know the numbers by now I would sell all of my Ford stock, because this would tell tell me their business model is out of control and nobody knows "who's on first".

SD you yourself have posted nurmorus times exactly how many Gt 500's ,what colors, body types and where they are located that are available today. Of course Ford knows exactly how many have been made both verts and coups.

The #'s that black shelby has given us reflect the total # of verts and the total # coups. They are very specific . I believe do them.

I believe the reason Ford doesn't want to release the #'s yet is to allow some more time to sell the last 07's . The reason they now say the 08 #'s will be smaller may be to keep the interest in the car and thus the thought that they will still be a scarce commodity. This may also be true too and there may only be 8000 or so but they want prospective buyers to know now.

The reason they now say the 08 #'s will be smaller may be to keep the interest in the car and thus the thought that they will still be a scarce commodity. This may also be true too and there may only be 8000 or so but they want prospective buyers to know now.

The reason is because they are building less. If this was just for the purpose of keeping the interest and thought they will be scarce then they would not have stripped all the SVT Dealers away from getting their 2008 allocation like they got in 2007 which they were contractually obligated to give these dealers.

So IF this was merely a tactic on Ford's part, then not only are they lying to the public and dealers about it, but they are breaching a contract to give the SVT Dealers their promised allocation for 2008 and merely using this to as an excuse to take their 08 allocation away from them just to feed more allocation to the big dealers to give them more than they already got in 07.

I do not think Ford would just take the SVT Dealers allocation away just to feed the bigger dealers more than the 7 - 15 extra units they already got in 07. So they must be really cutting the production since they have taken 08 allocation away from a lot of dealers as a result of that.

If they're saying 8,000 for '08 that's sort of no change in a "corporate-speak" way. Remember, '07 was supposedly 9,000. In '08 they'll be 1000KRs. Subtract that from the business-as-usual 9,000 rate and you get 8,000 '08s But in '07 9,000 meant (for round numbers sake) 11,000. So, 8,000 for '08 could well mean 10,000 if nothing else changed.

The fact that Ford made more than they said in their original estimates does not necessarily adjust the process by which those estimates are provided. This is a corporate animal... it speaks in its own language.

I predict we'll be revisiting this topic in about a year -- about when Ford says the '09 production will be n,nnn ;)

The the Boss could debut for MY '10 (mid-'09) in 'parallel' with the Mach using [a vriant of?] the GT500 motor -- for two years which woulr give Ford the 5-year run [min] they've reportedly planned for the 5.4 S/C motor. My guess is that's the plan-of-record at this point in time -- and always subject to a 'better' plan getting baked.

Another option is for Ford to split the 5.4 production across a lower-volume '09 GT500 and a Mach (or rebrand the production run a Mach) -- to steal some Camaro thunder with a 'new' car to advertise (<- how a corporation would think), but I don't think Ford would 'dilute' the Shelby brand like that this time around (not that it wouldn't be historically correct <yikes!>). Then again, SA might be making a 850HP King Cobra by then that would deflect any perceived brand 'dilution' :spiteful:)

Ya gotta love this whole game!

They must know the #s.

This is the computer age, every car is counted, they know how many are shipped, how many are sitting on the lots, colors, options,ect.

I agree with you

there is value in not releasing the number until all of them are sold too :hysterical2:

The reason they now say the 08 #'s will be smaller may be to keep the interest in the car and thus the thought that they will still be a scarce commodity. This may also be true too and there may only be 8000 or so but they want prospective buyers to know now.

The reason is because they are building less. If this was just for the purpose of keeping the interest and thought they will be scarce then they would not have stripped all the SVT Dealers away from getting their 2008 allocation like they got in 2007 which they were contractually obligated to give these dealers.

So IF this was merely a tactic on Ford's part, then not only are they lying to the public and dealers about it, but they are breaching a contract to give the SVT Dealers their promised allocation for 2008 and merely using this to as an excuse to take their 08 allocation away from them just to feed more allocation to the big dealers to give them more than they already got in 07.

I do not think Ford would just take the SVT Dealers allocation away just to feed the bigger dealers more than the 7 - 15 extra units they already got in 07. So they must be really cutting the production since they have taken 08 allocation away from a lot of dealers as a result of that.

Are they really "cutting " production or are they just keeping the total # close to the 18,000 over two year period projection with a loaded first year amount because they were afraid the CARB restrictions would be worse in 08? Just wondering...

Anyway with a lesser # produced in 08 the demand & interest will likely stay high.

Sheeez, I didn't buy the car hoping to make a killing selling it...the more cars built & on the street is a win/win for us with Manuf. & Aftermarket support for years to come IMHO !! Drive & enjoy it !!

+1

Thanks for bringing reason to the table.

There's nothing wrong with producing more cars as long as there are buyers for them. Why can't we all be happy??

the rediculous thing is, if they say 9000 then that it what they should build cause all the hype was a RARE CAR ,not many to be made so dealers could get as high a mark up as possible which is BULL!!!! really what it was, was a lie...When I bought the car there was only supposed to be 6000 made. It's all hype they will do it in 08 then 09 and so on and so on!!! I will never fall for that again. I didn't buy the car to sell it either but the should not throw #'s out there if they dont stick to them. If I paid 1,000,000 for a picaso and after I bought it I was told there are thousands of those out there I would be pissed and that's what happened to the shelby's!!! Someone should tell the dealers to stop saying this is a rare car cause they are also representing FORD!!!!

Are they really "cutting " production or are they just keeping the total # close to the 18,000 over two year period projection with a loaded first year amount because they were afraid the CARB restrictions would be worse in 08? Just wondering...

Anyway with a lesser # produced in 08 the demand & interest will likely stay high.

They never said why they were cutting back 08 production. I only ASSUME it was to keep the total number at the 18K - 20K they said they would build over two years.

the rediculous thing is, if they say 9000 then that it what they should build cause all the hype was a RARE CAR ,not many to be made so dealers could get as high a mark up as possible which is BULL!!!! really what it was, was a lie...When I bought the car there was only supposed to be 6000 made. It's all hype they will do it in 08 then 09 and so on and so on!!! I will never fall for that again. I didn't buy the car to sell it either but the should not throw #'s out there if they dont stick to them. If I paid 1,000,000 for a picaso and after I bought it I was told there are thousands of those out there I would be pissed and that's what happened to the shelby's!!! Someone should tell the dealers to stop saying this is a rare car cause they are also representing FORD!!!!

Where did you ever hear 6,000 from?

The SGT is suppose to be only 6,000

The GT500 has always been 8K - 10K each year for two years only. At first, long before they ever went into production they talked about 8K per year. Then in March/April of 2006, which was still before they went into production they said 9K - 10K each year with an approx. total of 19K over two years.

I have never heard anything about only 6,000 on the GT500.

The enrollment forms we signed when we had to sign up for the car said approx. 8,000 each year.

Z06 is in a different class. The se will be the boss. But I think it will be NA not supercharged. Or they could revert back to the termies blower and rate it at 4xx hp.

Curious what MY you're saying the Boss will be the SE for. I think MY'10 (spring/summer '09).

If the Boss is supercharged it will be a huge mistake, imo. The Boss should be a [preferably highly] oversquare rev-happy NA alloy motor in a no-frills uber-handling road-car package (within the realities of todays manufacturing and regulatory constraints ;-). I can not even conceive an acceptable supercharged 'Boss' (a Boss in name only). I would be very gut-wrenchingly disappointed if Ford disregarded the marque's heritage in that regard.

Besides, Ford desparately needs a serious, updated and affordable DOHC-mod intake in the FRP parts bin ...and desparately needs to update the the DOHC-mod's forgotten alloy block (last seen @ 320HP in the '01 Cobra?) to be useable with the Ford-GT-500 heads at 400+HP.

I'd also be ecstatic over an alloy H/Boss-powered 3V (DOHC unnecessary @ 4.125" bore), but I'm not holding my breath for summer '09 for that.

Anyhow, appologies for the off-topic excursion -- just the thought of a S/C Boss makes me a little nuts (at least I tihnk that's the reason). :hysterical: ;-)

Dan

Curious what MY you're saying the Boss will be the SE for. I think MY'10 (spring/summer '09).

If the Boss is supercharged it will be a huge mistake, imo. The Boss should be a [preferably highly] oversquare rev-happy NA alloy motor in a no-frills uber-handling road-car package (within the realities of todays manufacturing and regulatory constraints ;-). I can not even conceive an acceptable supercharged 'Boss' (a Boss in name only). I would be very gut-wrenchingly disappointed if Ford disregarded the marque's heritage in that regard.

Besides, Ford desparately needs a serious, updated and affordable DOHC-mod intake in the FRP parts bin ...and desparately needs to update the the DOHC-mod's forgotten alloy block (last seen @ 320HP in the '01 Cobra?) to be useable with the Ford-GT-500 heads at 400+HP.

I'd also be ecstatic over an alloy H/Boss-powered 3V (DOHC unnecessary @ 4.125" bore), but I'm not holding my breath for summer '09 for that.

Anyhow, appologies for the off-topic excursion -- just the thought of a S/C Boss makes me a little nuts (at least I tihnk that's the reason). :hysterical: ;-)

Dan

Ford has said the Boss was going to be 09 model. I read here from posts saying it was being pushed back to 2010 now. I think because of issues over a motor.

Where did any official word from Ford come from saying the Boss mustang will not come out in 09? I have not seen anything from Ford on this. The only thing I ever heard was 09 which came from Ford. I have not seen anything about it since.

Is there any source from Ford stating they will not have the Boss in 09?

Ford never said anthing about the GT500 being rare (car mag spin?).

What I recall from Ford Media was 7,000 '07 GT500s, which was later upped to 9,000 last summer ...I never heard any '08 nums stated back then. In June '06 at least three separate car journalists reported (after the GT500 touchy-feely Ford did in April '06), that the GT500 would be made for three years. At the time Ford had only talked about '07 and '08, but never stated in anything I read that it would be made for only those two years.

Dan

Archived