TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Year GT500 for my friend!?

Bruce2009KR

Enabler that I am, I gave a close friend a ride in my '09 modified KR and rekindled his spirit for another hot car--specifically a GT500!  He's owned some bad boys back in the early '70's so he's no stranger to power.  He's in his 60's and doesn't plan on drag racing any; Mainly just enjoying all our Shelby's offer: class, comfort, power!

Today we test drove three:  2009 Vert (had a VMP Gen 1 and dealer couldn't say what else); 2012 Vert w 44k miles but clean as a pin, one owner (sweet ride); and 2009 all stock coupe w just 14k miles (had lousy old Goodyear stock tires) 

I'm not as familiar with the 2011-12 GT500's so appreciate any tips/suggestions/advice. If I recall, these have aluminum blocks with sleeves??  Is that now widely accepted or would you think these are something to steer clear of and stay with an all steel block of '07-09??  I guess I'm asking for your opinions on best years WITHOUT going up to a 2013 or later as budget is a concern here. 

Thanks!!

I have a friend who had a 2012 and traded it in for a 2014, it took him almost a year to admit he liked his 2012 better. He gave a lot of reasons but I think in the end it seemed to be every day driving.

My 2012 has been Super Snaked with a 3.6 Kenne Bell.  I added a Griggs suspension, and track day wheels and enjoy it! 

I have had no problems with the 5.4 engine - although I did obtain a follow on tune after the Super Snake package.  The 5.4 engine in the 2011-12 has a spray on high tech cylinder liner in the aluminum block.  The 5.8 requires sleeves as I understand it because the block has been bored and stroked from 5.4 to 5.8.  I believe I read that Ford applied a high tech spray into the cylinder sleeves on the 2013-2014 also.  The 5.8 is an awesome engine; it makes comparable HP with a smaller supercharger and lower boost as the 5.4  I know folks with both engines and they are great.  If you are not seeking maximum HP, a well maintained 5.4 should last forever.  Enjoy!

Nothing wrong with any of the years really. I love my 07, but I would love to go to the aluminum block at some point to shed some weight. As far as the body style goes, I am partial to the 07 - 09. 2010 and up are starting to grown on me, and they have nicer interiors and seats. I'm looking for a set of newer Shelby seats to swap into mine. You friend really can't go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...