TEAM SHELBY FORUM

High Flow Cat Question

Cobrafreak

Hey guys, Im new to the form and new to owning a Shelby. I just bought a 2010 GT500 and the previous owner has done a few mods. One mod was gutting the cats and to me I cant stand the smell so I need some opinions on good high flow cats. First let me say that the few mods I have are stock SC with 2.6 pulley, tune and cold air. I have heard some say that if you run a smaller pulley/ higher boost that you will have trouble with cats breaking up. Is this true or is my application not really big enough to cause this problem? Do you guys have cats that you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I have LT's and run cats because I live in an inspection state. I have also read about higher boost causing cat failure, but don't remember the brand or boost level. My last dyno showed 19+  boost, but I've had no issues. Your best bet with stock headers may be stock cats. 

Pa._Mustang_show_415.jpg

Also 1Alibi 2, When I bought the car the guy gave me brand new long tube headers and off road X pipe. Would it be worth my wild to have some cats welded into the x pipe and install the long tube headers or just sell them and buy a catted pipe? Also with the cats gutted its a little on the loud side so if I did put the headers on with cats do you think it would be quitter or louder than stock manifolds and gutted cats? Thanks

10 hours ago, Cobrafreak said:

Also 1Alibi 2, When I bought the car the guy gave me brand new long tube headers and off road X pipe. Would it be worth my wild to have some cats welded into the x pipe and install the long tube headers or just sell them and buy a catted pipe? Also with the cats gutted its a little on the loud side so if I did put the headers on with cats do you think it would be quitter or louder than stock manifolds and gutted cats? Thanks

Headers will increase the noise level, an off road X pipe will be pretty much the same as gutted cats. Trying to modify the the X pipe with cats would be a waste of time & money. What kind of axle back, ( muffler ), does the car have, that could be the cause of a lot of your noise. What kind of headers ? This mfg. may market a catted X pipe for them. My current set up is headers, catted X pipe, stock mufflers. Quiet enough to sit next to a LEO at a stoplight & not get ticketed. Headers with cats vs stock manifolds & gutted cats, will be pretty close to the same noise level, to my thinking.

• 2 years later...