TEAM SHELBY FORUM

10 years oil and filters changes

Hello guys, my Shelby GT has almost ten years... It's not a daily driver, so It has only 15k miles. The car runs perfectelly but the uniques things I've changed since new were engine oil and filter once a year. Should I change other fluids like coolant, transmission, brakes, transmission, differencial, or filters like fuel, for example? Are there others components I shoud change?

I would recommend a full fluid change. If it runs, replace it.

Also consider replacing belts and hoses. 

And most importantly, tires.  If you're still on factory tires recall that the recommendation is to replace high performance tires at around 5 years.  You're well past that.  I'd guess (but not recommend) that the current tires would be OK for driving on the street but any spirited driving or track would be risky. 

8 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

And most importantly, tires.  If you're still on factory tires recall that the recommendation is to replace high performance tires at around 5 years.  You're well past that.  I'd guess (but not recommend) that the current tires would be OK for driving on the street but any spirited driving or track would be risky. 

+1

17 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

+100

all filters including cabin filter

If those tires are original I would change them ASAP.  I had plenty of tread on mine when I changed them last year, not worth a blow out from dry rot.  They might have been fine, but I wouldn’t take that chance.

My 2005 S2000 had original tires when I bought it last year, I changed them right away.

Just my 2 Cents

Agree completely, not worth the risk. I changed out my original tires last year although probably half the tread remained, no visible rot or cracking. Still, I was past due. Most people advise 6 to 8 years max.

I've debated on the hoses and belt though. They look in great shape and how would you know you're not replacing them with 10 year old ones off the shelf? Thoughts?

Even if the tires are not dry rot, they will harden over time...like big old kockey pucks.  I immediately took off and kept my original tires and wheels, stored properly...but only to bring out in the event that maybe someday I or the next caretaker wants to take back to “concourse correct”.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an also a known issue on 2007 4.6L engines (SGTs & MGTs) which still have their original spark plugs. As many of you may already know,  the original spark plugs on higher mileage 2007 4.6L engines are a real bugger to remove due to carbon build-up and are also prone to breakage/separation if not removed with extreme care per an applicable Service Bulletin (related topics are elsewhere in the SGT forums). 

Apparently, 2008 4.6L engines had a different cylinder head design (and a different spark plug design too from memory) and don't have this issue.  So the above probably doesn't apply to SGT1035's 2008 SGT, but those with 2007 SGTs which still have their original spark plugs should consider spark plug replacement as another preventative maintenance task/item.

Happy motoring!

13 hours ago, 07SGT0086 said:

There is an also a known issue on 2007 4.6L engines (SGTs & MGTs) which still have their original spark plugs. As many of you may already know,  the original spark plugs on higher mileage 2007 4.6L engines are a real bugger to remove due to carbon build-up and are also prone to breakage/separation if not removed with extreme care per an applicable Service Bulletin (related topics are elsewhere in the SGT forums). 

Apparently, 2008 4.6L engines had a different cylinder head design (and a different spark plug design too from memory) and don't have this issue.  So the above probably doesn't apply to SGT1035's 2008 SGT, but those with 2007 SGTs which still have their original spark plugs should consider spark plug replacement as another preventative maintenance task/item.

Happy motoring!

Not all 2008's have the new plug design. My wife's is csm 1074 and has the two piece plugs. The easiest way is to look at the code on the coil. 3L3E coils have early style plugs and 8L3E coils have the new style plugs. I think the coils are also different colors with the early style being black and the late style brown. I changed my wife's plugs at 30000 miles and it was a piece of cake. I'm not sure what plugs are in my csm 1357 since they were changed when the Whipple was installed. 

Mark

Edited by KOBRA2848

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, KOBRA2848 said:

Not all 2008's have the new plug design. My wife's is csm 1074 and has the two piece plugs. The easiest way is to look at the code on the coil. 3L3E coils have early style plugs and 8L3E coils have the new style plugs. I think the coils are also different colors with the early style being black and the late style brown. I changed my wife's plugs at 30000 miles and it was a piece of cake. I'm not sure what plugs are in my csm 1357 since they were changed when the Whipple was installed. 

Mark

That is a correct statement, the change came in 2008, most 08sgts were built with cars that were built in Detroit in 2007, Mine is 1588 and was built in December 07 and shipped to Shelby shortly after and had the early plugs and coils.  change happened a few months into 08 CY. I would definitely change them if they're the originals and the old style 

Edited by MyBlueHeaven
added