TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Three more GT350s going to auction at Barrett Jackson!

All three cars are selling at no reserve  (lot 1261) 2012 Shelby GT350.....(lot 1473)  2011 GT350  and (lot 1477)   2012 Shelby GT350 Convertible (blue),  It will be interesting to see the $$$ they 

will sell at!  I would kinda like to have the blue vert!  I wished I lived closer to Arizona...would be fun to go!

Edited by MNStang

Results of auction on these 3 shelbys,

2012 GT 350    $57,200.

2011 GT 350   $72,600.

2012 GT 350 Conv. $63,800.

Prices include buyers premium   Seems like prices holding ok for now.....these are great cars for this money!

• 11 months later...

2019 Barrett Jackson Auction :     2011 Shelby GT350R {8200 miles)  CSM  0000029 sold for $82,500 in no reserve auction .   Seems I have read on a previous post that someone

said that SA didn't sell a so called R model for 2011.  I don't know for sure,  might have been something added by SA after the fact..   Maybe Steven can tell us!

Car was listed as a 2011 Shelby GT350R         with the following description                                                                                                                                                                                                 Lot #511 - This 2011 Shelby GT350R Fastback, CSM00029, was ordered new on January 22, 2010 from Shelby Automobiles. This real, Shelby-numbered GT350R was the recipient of the new Shelby hand-built 5.0-liter V8 R-option engine that produces 624hp through the chrome polished Whipple supercharger, backed by a 6-speed manual transmission. The MSRP for the base 2011 Ford Mustang GT was $41,399, the GT350 package option was an added $33,995, and the R-option upgrades suggested by Shelby America totaled $9,994, including the supercharger and rear brake kit, bringing the total cost for this Shelby GT350R to $85,388. The GT350R upgrade by Shelby includes Watts-link rear suspension, Goodyear street/race tire package and painted body stripes. The interior is trimmed in full leather with contrast stitching throughout and embroidered GT350 on the seat backs. The upgrade also included Superlight forged Shelby/Cragar wheels, exterior styling enhancements, upgraded stereo, track-oriented Shelby/Baer 6-piston brakes, Shelby caster camber plate kit, nickel anodized painted brake calipers, Shelby/Baer Eradispeed rear rotor and brake pad upgrade, front and rear brake duct and cooling kit and Shelby/Borla unique center-exit dual exhaust. This GT350 includes its original pre-purchase order, original Window Sticker and original invoice. This Shelby has 8,671 actual miles and is one of 159 built in 2011, and one of 80 built with the R package. It is signed by Carroll Shelby on the dash and has a Shelby factory Trim Tag.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, MNStang said:
Car was listed as a 2011 Shelby GT350R         with the following description                                                                                                                                                                                                 Lot #511 - This 2011 Shelby GT350R Fastback, CSM00029, was ordered new on January 22, 2010 from Shelby Automobiles. This real, Shelby-numbered GT350R was the recipient of the new Shelby hand-built 5.0-liter V8 R-option engine that produces 624hp through the chrome polished Whipple supercharger, backed by a 6-speed manual transmission. The MSRP for the base 2011 Ford Mustang GT was $41,399, the GT350 package option was an added $33,995, and the R-option upgrades suggested by Shelby America totaled $9,994, including the supercharger and rear brake kit, bringing the total cost for this Shelby GT350R to $85,388. The GT350R upgrade by Shelby includes Watts-link rear suspension, Goodyear street/race tire package and painted body stripes. The interior is trimmed in full leather with contrast stitching throughout and embroidered GT350 on the seat backs. The upgrade also included Superlight forged Shelby/Cragar wheels, exterior styling enhancements, upgraded stereo, track-oriented Shelby/Baer 6-piston brakes, Shelby caster camber plate kit, nickel anodized painted brake calipers, Shelby/Baer Eradispeed rear rotor and brake pad upgrade, front and rear brake duct and cooling kit and Shelby/Borla unique center-exit dual exhaust. This GT350 includes its original pre-purchase order, original Window Sticker and original invoice. This Shelby has 8,671 actual miles and is one of 159 built in 2011, and one of 80 built with the R package. It is signed by Carroll Shelby on the dash and has a Shelby factory Trim Tag.

This has been discussed and seems B-J did not do their homework as there is NO R model or R package! Some car owners opted for the 624hp and the rest got 524hp and the Automatics had 460hp if I am right, but there is no R just that goofy dealer in Canada thinking there is even after he was told NO there is not. I laughed at the TV when they said R model

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, MNStang said:

I agree carnut.     Maybe the R here stands for Ripped...….Ripped off!

That “R” model that recently sold is now the rarest Shelby on the planet. We have all heard of the mystical One of  One  Shelby Vehicles that exist such as the 1967 Supersnake, The Green Hornet, “Little Red, etc. This vehicle is rarer than that because it is a ONE of NONE…….(sarcasm intended)

The R model term was media hype, as I mentioned elsewhere, much like calling an early 1965 (Ford term)  Mustang a 1964 and a half (media term still in use today).  

Here are some of the media statements calling the 624 HP an "R tuned" model (yes, we know it was not a special edition by that name from the factory, but nobody stopped the media folks) at the time) and it caught on.  The reporters in these articles used the factory photos.  So "R tuned" evolved into "R model", I guess.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1050211_2011-shelby-mustang-gt350-final-specs-new-624-hp-package

https://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/07/shelby-releases-final-specs-on-gt350-mustang-power-output-range/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1050737_rpm-member-warren-faris-takes-delivery-of-624-hp-2011-shelby-gt350-r-mustang

https://www.motortrend.com/news/what-gt500-shelby-announces-624horsepower-r-tune-for-2011-gt350-9172/

So it is an R tune not R model.  Not sure if that is a Ford Performance term or a Shelby factory term or just mis-spoken hype.  But I do like having the 624 HP no matter whatt it is called.:cool:

I found the source for the medias' use of the "R' term for the 2011 GT350.  It comes from a Shelby American press release  dated 10/7/2010 and refers to the release of the 624 HP model.  I have a copy but am unable to do a poto post.  I can fax a copy or scan and email it to someone if they want to post it. 

The release from www.shelbyautos.com/viewnews states in part:

" LAS VEGAS-October 7, 2010-Shelby American. a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. (CSBI:PK) has released the official performance spec of the supercharged and normally aspirated packages for the Shelby GT350, as well as a new higher horsepower option for the 5.0 liter powered car.  With up to 624 horsepower on tap via an optional "R" tune, the 2011 Shelby GT350 is one of the most powerful limited production cars in the world.

"Our goal was to build the ultimate small bolck muscle car," said John Luft, President of Shelby American.  "The results show that the Shelby GT350 takes American performance to a new level. In recent tests, the standard supercharged car it 60 miles per hour in just 3.7 seconds and ran the quarter in 12 seconds flat.... We believe the "R" tuned GT350 will be even faster."

Note: the press release goes on the use the "R"tune term for the 624 HP version a couple more times to differentiate that model from the 525 HP supercharged model.  This is where the media and, subsequently,  the buyers probably latched on to the GT350R designation.  It is not for an R model racer, but a for higher horsepower tune as noted from the factory. 

12 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

I found the source for the medias' use of the "R' term for the 2011 GT350.  It comes from a Shelby American press release  dated 10/7/2010 and refers to the release of the 624 HP model. 

Yes and that takes us right back to the original question, what came first the chicken or the egg. Did enthusiasts start tossing around the 'R' designation and Shelby's PR people picked up on it or did Shelby's PR people float the idea and the enthusiasts picked up on it.

Either way it doesn't really matter. Press releases and sales material are produced way in advance of the start of vehicle production and are always subject to change. No where physically does the letter 'R' appear on the car and no where on the vehicle order form or the final sales invoice is a 'R' option listed.

I myself would prefer to believe what the factory/manufacturer says over what a third party Public Relations firm writes. 

Steve

I agree, Steve.  I am just saying the R term was adopted by multiple media from the SA President John Lund quotes (alleged by him, but most liked penned by PR) and owners to differentiate the R tune model from the others.  To be specific at the auction, it should be called a GT350 "R" tune, not a GT350R.  Like I said before, it is like the early 1965 Mustang that has evolved to be called a "1964 1/2", a media term, not a Ford term back then.  Now the repeated usage becomes the standard.

You would be surprised at the amount of people who contact Shelby American about their 2007-08 Shelby GT350 so if an SGT owner can't get something like that correct I suppose 2011 GT350 owners referring to their car as an 'R' model isn't that big of a deal.

Now if we can only get 605/725hp 40th Anniversary owners to stop referring to their car as a Super Snake ;)

Steve

6 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

You would be surprised at the amount of people who contact Shelby American about their 2007-08 Shelby GT350 so if an SGT owner can't get something like that correct I suppose 2011 GT350 owners referring to their car as an 'R' model isn't that big of a deal.

Now if we can only get 605/725hp 40th Anniversary owners to stop referring to their car as a Super Snake ;)

Steve

Maybe an Almost Shelby 1000 edition,   The  GT500 AS 1000?

• 8 months later...

The 2011 had 1,071 miles and the 2014 had 189 miles and was promoted as a one of four in the "Gotta Have It" Green color (not my favorite) and 1 of 1 when factoring in some of the other options it has. It seemed like a pretty decent price spread between the two and I'm not sure I understand why. I was under the impression that the 45th's where considered just as, if not slightly more desirable than the 2012 - 2014's.The 2011 also sold at BJ Scottsdale in 2017 for $70k ($77k with buyers commission) and is referenced in the third & sixth post above.

I'm curious as to what is considered a good price range for these cars as a 2011 with 8,611 miles sold in BJ Vegas 2018 went for $44k and was sold 3 months later with 70 more miles on it at BJ Scottsdale 2019 for $75k (both not including the 10% buyers commission). That is quite a spread and a nice profit for whoever had it.

Edited by herewer