TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Mark ups - what is eveyone seeing

KRman68

When the Shelby was introduced, I really wanted to get one but I didnt want to pay any markup. I held out for the 03 Cobra and paid list a few years back.

I knew out of the gate that the dealers would be raping customers and it happened. I fully expected it to tail off as time went on but it doesn't seem to be the case.

My local dealer has a white GT500 sitting on the lot - which surprised me to see it sitting out there. I stopped to see what they were looking for and it was marked up $20k in addition to the typical dealer rip off - undercoating, paint sealant and upholstry treatment of 2k.

What is everyone else seeing out there for mark ups now?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When the Shelby was introduced, I really wanted to get one but I didnt want to pay any markup. I held out for the 03 Cobra and paid list a few years back.

I knew out of the gate that the dealers would be raping customers and it happened. I fully expected it to tail off as time went on but it doesn't seem to be the case.

My local dealer has a white GT500 sitting on the lot - which surprised me to see it sitting out there. I stopped to see what they were looking for and it was marked up $20k in addition to the typical dealer rip off - undercoating, paint sealant and upholstry treatment of 2k.

What is everyone else seeing out there for mark ups now?

I paid $5000 over MSRP about 2 months ago. I found the car on E-Bay. There are typically 50 or so new cars on E-Bay that dealers are selling at any given time. I've seen a few others going for $49500-$53000. Not much below that. My local dealers in Northern Calif. are getting $10k over. That is down from $20-$25k 6 months ago.

Good luck

I paid $5000 over MSRP about 2 months ago. I found the car on E-Bay. There are typically 50 or so new cars on E-Bay that dealers are selling at any given time. I've seen a few others going for $49500-$53000. Not much below that. My local dealers in Northern Calif. are getting $10k over. That is down from $20-$25k 6 months ago.

Good luck

I've been tracking E-Bay pretty much daily for the past two months. Here's what I've found...Very few bidders are willing to go higher than $50k, with the red-stripe package being the exception at around the mid $50's (although these seem to be decreasing too as of late). Virtually no one is using the Buy-it-Now option, as nearly all are set at $55+. From what I can see, few cars are being sold as the reserves never seem to reached. As such, many of the same cars are being re-listed a few days later, and the cycle continues. I suppose that some of the dealers might be contacting the highest, unsuccessful bidders post-auction to try and make a deal, but this, of course, is not known (has this happened to anyone?). Lastly, a secondary market of used GT500's appears to be growing. The max bid on these is about $45k, with again few being sold due to the higher reserves not being met. Conclusion: not a great deal of inventory is moving through this channel, certainly not at the prices that are being demanded. With the 08's about to appear, IMO, I would expect the new, remaining 07's will go for a lot closer to MSRP.

Some members here, including myself have gotten cars for 5k over. Some have purchased cars on ebay for the same amount as well. I refrain from saying 5k is the average or norm. Many areas are still higher than that and there are some buyers looking for a 5k over deal. If you are patient and willing to wait I am sure you would be able to find a deal for less. Just no way of knowing how long that will be and how much legwork you will have to do to find it. If you are looking for a specific color with specific options, your best bet is to try to make a deal for an 08' order. If you are flexible on color/options, many dealers still have 07's and may be willing to sell for less in the coming weeks or months. Every dealer is different and you just need to find the right one to make the deal you are looking for. Good luck.

I am sworn to secrecy ... per my dealer who i work for

Shhhh mums the word

I've been tracking E-Bay pretty much daily for the past two months. Here's what I've found...Very few bidders are willing to go higher than $50k, with the red-stripe package being the exception at around the mid $50's (although these seem to be decreasing too as of late). Virtually no one is using the Buy-it-Now option, as nearly all are set at $55+. From what I can see, few cars are being sold as the reserves never seem to reached. As such, many of the same cars are being re-listed a few days later, and the cycle continues. I suppose that some of the dealers might be contacting the highest, unsuccessful bidders post-auction to try and make a deal, but this, of course, is not known (has this happened to anyone?). Lastly, a secondary market of used GT500's appears to be growing. The max bid on these is about $45k, with again few being sold due to the higher reserves not being met. Conclusion: not a great deal of inventory is moving through this channel, certainly not at the prices that are being demanded. With the 08's about to appear, IMO, I would expect the new, remaining 07's will go for a lot closer to MSRP.

Unfortunately ebay is not a good indicator of where the market is going unless you only look at the completed listings and look at the cars that actually sold.

Over 95% of all vehicles listed on ebay never sell on ebay. It has always been that way.

As for the GT500's, most that were listed on ebay usually sell after the listing ends. It's not dealers contacting bidders. It is usually bidders that contact the dealers after the listing ends and a lot of them will make a deal afterwards.

I talked to one dealer that use to list a lot of vehicles on ebay. Even the GT500's. He said he has NEVER sold a single vehicle on ebay where someone won it from bidding on it. But he has sold a LOT of vehicles after the ebay listing ended to buyers that found the vehicle on ebay.

But if you want to get a decent general idea of where the market is on these by going off of what sells on ebay, then check the completed listings and only look at the cars that actually sold on ebay. Those will give you a more accurate idea on where the market is. Forget the one's that didn't sell or where the bids ended at. Those mean nothing. It didn't sell, period. Over 95% on ebay never do sell.

Although, I have seen some of the better deals made on this car from one's that did sell on ebay. There has been a number of them that have sold in the $5K - $10K over range.

For example, here are some completed listings that did sell recently on ebay:

Blue Coupe ended with buy-it-now $54,995 7/3/07

Black Vert ended with buy-it-now $61,500 7/2/07

Black w/red stripes ended with $59,600 7/1/07

Black w/red stripes ended with $56,100 7/3/07

White w/red stripes ended with $54,820 6/29/07

White coupes USED w/800 miles $49,000 6/27/07

Black Vert USED w/1200 miles $57,000 6/27/07

White coupe blue stripes buy-it-now $57,995 6/28/07

Red w/white stripes buy-it-now $57,995 6/27/07

Red w/white stripes ended $51,101 6/26/07

Black coupe buy-it-now $50,760 6/26/07

Black w/red stripes ended with best offer $57,000 6/25/07

Black vert USED w/879 miles $53,699 6/23/07

Red w/white stripes buy-it-now $55,995 6/23/07

Grabber w/white stripes $52,505 6/20/07

White w/blue stripes No Reserve $53,000 6/20/07

Red Vert USED w/900 miles $53,500 6/21/07

That is every New & Used GT500 that actually sold on ebay over the last 13 days and the prices they sold for. That is what you can go by for a realistic number on where the market is on this car. All those others that didn't sell and regardless of what the bid amounts were when they ended mean nothing. Unless it sells it means nothing. If they started selling for those lower amounts then that would mean something. It is no different than having 20 people walking into the dealership and offering $49K or whatever and the dealer saying know and then selling it to someone later willing to pay the $10K or whatever over.

Unfortunately ebay is not a good indicator of where the market is going unless you only look at the completed listings and look at the cars that actually sold.

Over 95% of all vehicles listed on ebay never sell on ebay. It has always been that way.

As for the GT500's, most that were listed on ebay usually sell after the listing ends. It's not dealers contacting bidders. It is usually bidders that contact the dealers after the listing ends and a lot of them will make a deal afterwards.

I talked to one dealer that use to list a lot of vehicles on ebay. Even the GT500's. He said he has NEVER sold a single vehicle on ebay where someone won it from bidding on it. But he has sold a LOT of vehicles after the ebay listing ended to buyers that found the vehicle on ebay.

But if you want to get a decent general idea of where the market is on these by going off of what sells on ebay, then check the completed listings and only look at the cars that actually sold on ebay. Those will give you a more accurate idea on where the market is. Forget the one's that didn't sell or where the bids ended at. Those mean nothing. It didn't sell, period. Over 95% on ebay never do sell.

Although, I have seen some of the better deals made on this car from one's that did sell on ebay. There has been a number of them that have sold in the $5K - $10K over range.

That is every New & Used GT500 that actually sold on ebay over the last 13 days and the prices they sold for. That is what you can go by for a realistic number on where the market is on this car. All those others that didn't sell and regardless of what the bid amounts were when they ended mean nothing. Unless it sells it means nothing. If they started selling for those lower amounts then that would mean something. It is no different than having 20 people walking into the dealership and offering $49K or whatever and the dealer saying know and then selling it to someone later willing to pay the $10K or whatever over.

Very logical and precise. Thx.

Got an email this morning from a dealer in Leesburg, Virginia, checking to see if I was still in the market. Said they have a tugnsten vert and a black coupe, and will "entertain offers of betwen 16k and 20k." Now, aside from how absurd the markup is, why would someone offer them 20 if they'll entertain 16, duh?

:headspin:

Got an email this morning from a dealer in Leesburg, Virginia, checking to see if I was still in the market. Said they have a tugnsten vert and a black coupe, and will "entertain offers of betwen 16k and 20k." Now, aside from how absurd the markup is, why would someone offer them 20 if they'll entertain 16, duh?

:headspin:

Between $16K and $20K??? I'll take both!!! That is over 50% off MSRP! :hysterical:

Hey Jack, haven't seen you @ SSOTN site in awhile...I paid $15,000 over MSRP Jan,3rd for my White / blue stripe GT-500...still worth every penny to me !! Got about 2700 miles on it so far splitting the driving between my 70' Mach !!!!Hows the 68' Shelby running ?? Chris

That is how I finally found my car. I was watching one that had a minimum bid of $54,995 and buy it now for $63,000. After the dealer didn't get any bids I contacted him. After a couple weeks of negotiating, we settled at $52,650 (net of $350 Shelby car cover he thew in). If I had been willing to take a red one there was a buy it now for $52,000 last week.

I think most of these dealers with "reserve not met" are just keeping them and trying to sell them locally for $10k+ From what I heard from our local dealer, they are still getting that in most markets.

Just keep being patient, the price drop comes when the new model year starts arriving on lots.

They are making 27,000 of these, to think the ADM will stay around for the entire run is just ridiculous.

I'm a patient man, and will not be paying over MSRP when I pick my car up once the dealers stop being greedy.

-DC

Just keep being patient, the price drop comes when the new model year starts arriving on lots.

They are making 27,000 of these, to think the ADM will stay around for the entire run is just ridiculous.

I'm a patient man, and will not be paying over MSRP when I pick my car up once the dealers stop being greedy.

-DC

Where do you get 27,000 from????

They made 10,864 for 07 and are only making 8,000 for 08. That is 18,864. A long way from 27,000! They would need to build it for a 3rd year to get that.

Don't assume that auctions that end as "sold" represent actual closed deals. There was at least one auction that "sold" at $60k, where the buyer and seller even left positive feedback where the exact same vehicle was up for auction again from the same dealer a week later.

Where do you get 27,000 from????

They made 10,864 for 07 and are only making 8,000 for 08. That is 18,864. A long way from 27,000! They would need to build it for a 3rd year to get that.

From what I understand this is being produced through 2009 so my number is correct?

Regardless, even if it isn't 27,000 the prices will come down to MSRP. There aren't 19,000 people that can afford to pay 60k for a Mustang at the end of the day I don't care how many people think that will happen.

This is a pretty unique car and has a good following but I don't think it has that many people that can afford to pay such a high price for the car at the end of the day.

I'll get mine for MSRP, I don't buy into the hype or 'omg they will be this forever get one now!!!" It just doesn't add up.

Things that will be helping drive down the cost to MSRP or under:

- Release of competition such as Camaro and Challenger etc..

- Saturation of the market, the dealers can't afford to keep sitting on them waiting for another fat fish to land.

My .02 cents.

-DC

Archived