TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Old Stock Tires sold as brand new

JensenBreck

Hello,

If a shop sells you 1+ year old tires as brand new, (and they technically are new with the sticker on it). do you have any recourse to get a full refund or ask for a significant discount?

it was my own fault for not checking before i picked them up. i was tired and forgot to check. and they had already bagged them so it slipped my mind to check the date at the time.

but i am royally pissed off at this shop. the shop has decent reviews here and on other car forums. but it hasn't been a good experience.

i don't drive much so intended to keep them for the full 5 years which tires are generally good for. but now i lost 1+ years of usage yet paid full price.

For more details: story telling videos

Hello,
If a shop sells you 1+ year old tires as brand new, (and they technically are new with the sticker on it). do you have any recourse to get a full refund or ask for a significant discount?
it was my own fault for not checking before i picked them up. i was tired and forgot to check. and they had already bagged them so it slipped my mind to check the date at the time.
but i am royally pissed off at this shop. the shop has decent reviews here and on other car forums. but it hasn't been a good experience.
i don't drive much so intended to keep them for the full 5 years which tires are generally good for. but now i lost 1+ years of usage yet paid full price.
For more details: story telling videos

Tires can last a long time if stored in climate controlled warehouses its when you use them & expose them to the climate (UV rays) wear & tear. Tire experts will tell you most tires if properly cared for will last 10 years. Most tires won`t last that long as they will be worn out.especially the back ones on Shelby`s . ;)

This happened to me and I had the same feelings knowing full well my tires would age expire before getting worn out on my limited use Shelby. In my case I just asked them to put fresh tires on the car and they ended up "warrantying" the new/old tires. I bought them from a shop that specializes in fitting tires for classic cars and such so they were much more sympathetic than if I had purchased my tires from a chain store.

I don't see tires a year old as a problem. Heck, most new cars have tires that were delivered to the factory and put on many months before the car was bought off the dealer lot. Add the Shelbys that were at the SA factory for months for modifications, and a year is nothing. I would not be concerned. The only tires that have a short life span of a year or two are track slicks due to the softer compound. Maybe some tire experts here can expand on this.

Agree; tire life is 6-8 years if tread-wear doesn't overcome them first.

When I changed my original 07SGT tires a few years ago I asked the repair shop to check the tire mfr date with Tire Rack before they shipped (got 3 month old BFG's).

The sidewall rubber deteriorates with time and loses its ability to support the weight of the car.

Always like guys at car shows telling me how they drove to the show on 20 year old tires because 'the tread is still good.'

Tires can last a long time if stored in climate controlled warehouses its when you use them & expose them to the climate (UV rays) wear & tear. Tire experts will tell you most tires if properly cared for will last 10 years. Most tires won`t last that long as they will be worn out.especially the back ones on Shelby`s . ;)

Agreed.

1 year old tires are NOT a problem. 6-8 year old tires are. When I'm spending my money I want to make sure I didn't already lose 15% of my tire life before even taking delivery. If so, show me an appropriate discount (:

HAH! When I picked up my garage queen '09 back in April '16, the OEM Goodyears were still on. Near zero wear and worked just fine... until I wore them out.

As long as it's black & round & still got tread...

Lee