TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Totaled

ledfoot73

Bought her new in 2008, have been on the forums kind of hit and miss since then. My wife and I were driving in to work and were in the process of exiting the highway when an suv comes flying out of the traffic and hit us at full speed, through us into a spin. I looked out of passenger side window where my wife was sitting and saw him coming at us from the side. After he hit us the second time I thought theres probably no coming back from this. The guy that hit us had a medical event and passed out at the wheel, he didnt regain consciousness until after the wreck. The crash took out the left quarter, trunk lid(bent, and warped), rear bumper, bent chassis, (floor pan and supports), right quarter, door, damage to front fender, damaged 2 wheels. Totaled. Thought I would buy it back but decided not to when I got underneath and saw the chassis damage. Hard hit that was worse than it looked. Amazed at the cars ability to take a hit like this and keep us intact. The structural supports in the door probably kept it from coming in on my wife. Absolutely loved this car and had 0 intentions of parting with it, now but its off to look for something to replace it that I can take to the track( Boss maybe:).

Glad everyone is OK. It is a good thing that the engineering has gotten to the point that we can get through these kinds of events pretty much physically unscathed. The trade off is that the vehicle that provides our cage doesn't always come out so good. I know which I prefer. You can always get another car!

Amen to everything said! I just know that if we had been hit in the 65 GTO it would not have held up to the side impact like the Shelby did. Thank God for the newer vehicles with all of the safety features. I won’t complain about the added weight again! Of course actually having seat belts was pretty huge. It sure could have easily been worse for all of us. We were in rush hour traffic on the highway and the initial impact was on the left rear spinning us to the right toward the grass instead of back into the highway traffic. When he hit us the second time it deflected his vehicle away from the traffic and into the grass in the inter loop. I remember after the first hit thinking, I can save it, they can still fix it, lol, after we got hit on the side and I knew Linda was ok, I just thought there is no coming back from that.

Amen to everything said! I just know that if we had been hit in the 65 GTO it would not have held up to the side impact like the Shelby did. Thank God for the newer vehicles with all of the safety features. I won’t complain about the added weight again! Of course actually having seat belts was pretty huge. It sure could have easily been worse for all of us. We were in rush hour traffic on the highway and the initial impact was on the left rear spinning us to the right toward the grass instead of back into the highway traffic. When he hit us the second time it deflected his vehicle away from the traffic and into the grass in the inter loop. I remember after the first hit thinking, I can save it, they can still fix it, lol, after we got hit on the side and I knew Linda was ok, I just thought there is no coming back from that.

It's strange how it all happens in slow motion isn't it, and by that I mean all the thoughts that go through you're head in an instant makes it seem like slow motion.

Glad everyone is ok. See if you can keep a few parts for your grief. You are right about the lack of safety in old cars. I always was a little nervous taking the wife for a ride in my 66 vette or old Shelby. We take all these safety devices for granted these days.

The important thing was you & your wife walked away. After my former Bullitt got creamed/rear-ended, I wanted to cry but the car sacrificed its 'life' for me. What I learned from that was, even tho I deeply loved that car, it was just a car, a man-made device, nothing more.

Glad you folks are ok.

Lee

Very Sorry, but glad you both are ok. I know the feeling of wrecking my car. I had a collision on the track, but was able to rebuild and save my 07SGT. Get something new and have more fun.

I bet someone will rebuild it, probably should have taken the ID plate and didn’t realize the satellite radio module was separate, had a lifetime Sirius radio subscription which was non transferable. I did end up pulling some of my suspension mods, control, brackets etc in the rain and putting the original pieces back on. They really came through decently on the buy out, I think I would have felt a bit guilty if I had liberated it of to many parts. Hope someone rebuilds it so that it’s not a real mess. I know it went to the auction in Tulsa but I couldn’t track it down after they took it. Thought about buying it back but they wanted 8k for buy back, then salvage title, repair cost, then that it had the structural support damage underneath that would weaken the chassis to some degree after it was pulled out. Just decided it was best to move on. It’s funny, I was talking to a friend of mine who’s on these forums to, about buying it back and repairing it a couple of days before I let the insurance company have it. I got to the office that Monday that I let them have it and had a message from him that said don’t do it, (don’t fix it) lol. He just knew I was going to go through a moment of weakness!

Wow, like many stated: glad that you and your wife are OK.

I just looked at your gallery, where I see you posted pics of the damage. Like you said, the car did well taking the hit.

Hopefully you'll be able to replace it with something that gives you just as many good memories! ??

So sorry to hear this. Always sad to lose a great car like the Shelby but especially one that you, as you said, have zero intentions of parting with. When I brought mine home 10 years ago, a good friend told me " you never sell a Shelby". I've thought about that a lot as I've never kept a car this long.

Anyway, just glad you're both ok. Hope you can find something you enjoy as much.

Guest markham51

Glad everyone is OK. It is a good thing that the engineering has gotten to the point that we can get through these kinds of events pretty much physically unscathed. The trade off is that the vehicle that provides our cage doesn't always come out so good. I know which I prefer. You can always get another car!

+1 Happy you and your wide are OK

• 2 weeks later...