TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket wheels on GT350R

jadozzo

Just purchased a 2017 White / Blue stripe 350R!

I sure wish there were wheel options as I'm not a fan of black wheels... I don't see many aftermarket options.

Has anyone purchased aftermarket wheels for their 350R?

Umm, probably not :doh: because the R package includes the expensive carbon fiber wheels only available on the R. It's one of the major pieces that makes the R an R model. Maybe should have bought a non-R model? Do you plan on tracking the car?

Finding the right size wheels with correct weight and balance tuned for the R suspension might be tricky. Those Australian made carbon fiber wheels are very expensive and rare replacements due to small factory production, so hang on to them in case you ever sell the car.

Great suggestion, I hadn't seen these before...

I did find these...

https://www.mrrwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/m600

TireRack does not have any GT350R wheel options yet.

I do plan to track the car but I'm most definitely in the "gentleman driver" group not the 10/10th's club.

I plan to keep the CF wheels if I find an alternative I like.

Who knows... After owning and driving the car a while, perhaps the black wheels will grow on me. After all, I can't see them while I'm driving!

My "regular" three five OH has black wheels, and I feel your pain. I am not keen on black (snow) rims on performance cars, myself.

However, this generation Mustang is built in a period of black wheel popularity, and therefor is expected to have them. Replacing them for the duration of your ownership in a color / style you prefer is an OK ideer, but like's been said, you oughtta hang on to the stockers, as they're gonna be like hens teeth some day and you'll wish you had 'em. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

You need to understand that Ford doesn’t use anything but Black Wheels on a Brembo Brake system. The brake dust (support me everyone) is horrible. A 10 mile drive will coat the wheels. Catalac hates Brembo for that reason, no black rims on XLS and has become a service nightmare for them. Get used to them, you won’t get used to the wheel cleaning.

Isn't the magnetic suspension tuned to the weight of the c.f. wheels

I am betting there is no difference in the cars as they are sold but possibly there maybe a difference when tuned for racing. I was down at Daytona for the 24 Hour and I was at impound when Kahr Racing took the first 2 GT-350R GT4 models thru tech, but I forgot to ask them what their shock package was.

Just don't put heavy wheels on the car anyway.

Oh, and the CF wheels decrease 0-60mph times. Lighter wheels will spin up quicker. Seen head to head tests that prove this. I think their 20 lbs less (each) than alloy.

Not that much its only 50# total difference between the alloy and the CF for all 4. So about 12# per wheel and that sounds about right. A forged or flow-formed alloy wheel should weight in the 22-24# range in 19x11 so the CF wheels would be about 10-14#. That is a significant amount actually. When I raced in SCCA Touring 2 in my Mustang Cobra my first wheels were Cobra R wheels which weighed in at about 25# each in 17x9 size. I later switched to SSR Integral A2s in the same size and they weighed a little over 16# each. 9# was a big difference in the handling, partly from the total of about 36# less unsprung weight but also the fact it allowed be to dial my Konis down some. Tire wear was also better. Edited by photoracer18

• 5 months later...

Just received a set of Signature wheels specifically sized for the "R" Several styles and finishes available and weight is 20.5# for the SV104 version (as compared to 17# for the CF wheels). A bit pricey but beautiful wheels!!