TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H vs. GTE

Sean Wright

I have an interesting question for you guys ... well maybe not interesting, but one that I have been thinking about.

If you were to get one of the two above Shelby's which would it be and why? Right now I am thinking about either or and not sure which one.

On the GT-H side you have:

Pros:

The GT-H checks all the right boxes

The black and gold has always been my favorite color combo

It would hold it's value better (although I would mod both cars so idk if value is really a consideration here)

It has the premium package which I would prefer over the base model

I have always loved the GT-H/GT350 H

Cons:

It costs more than a GTE the way I would option it

I would be getting a car that has 9-13,000 miles on it

It has an automatic in it

On the GTE side of things:

Pros:

The GTE I can customize colors & stripes

It is cheaper than the GT-H

It would be a brand new car

I would have a manual

Cons:

It would be a base model which would mean I would spend more money to do what I wanted to do with it ie. quad tip exhaust

The negativity surrounding the GTE ( I get the stereotypical why would you spend 17k+ for 21HP comments when just asking about the GTE)

This is stupid, but I don't like the C-pillar emblem, I wish it had the GT's C-Pillar emblem. Maybe someone at SAI would be kind enough to let me swap emblems :D

Either of the two cars I would end up modifying anyway. I mean I took a pre-production Boss 302 Laguna Seca and put in a custom engine and am now making 609 to the tires All Motor, so maintaining a car's originality I guess isn't a factor there.

I have never driven a GT-E however I have seen a few and I wasn't really impressed. I think the H cars are much better looking (I'm biased a bit) and I agree the H might hold it's value a bit better, but really, the 16 has a long way to go before that should be a consideration for you. I doubt I would get what I paid for my '06, and it has less than 20,000 miles.

Have you driven both?

What mods are you considering?

I sure do wish my GT-H had a manual, but other than that, I love the car!

How important is the manual for you? Otherwise, it sounds like the GT-H matches your color options and includes the premium package. One option not listed is to wait and see what SAI does with the GTE for 2018 redesign, though this will likely not be your cheapest option.

I have never driven a GT-E however I have seen a few and I wasn't really impressed. I think the H cars are much better looking (I'm biased a bit) and I agree the H might hold it's value a bit better, but really, the 16 has a long way to go before that should be a consideration for you. I doubt I would get what I paid for my '06, and it has less than 20,000 miles.

Have you driven both?

What mods are you considering?

I sure do wish my GT-H had a manual, but other than that, I love the car!

I haven't driven either, just a 2016 GT a little while ago. That's essentially what a GT-H is regarding power. The handling is going to be better out of the box because of the handling pack.

For mods, I plan on doing Venom wheels and tires, some small suspension components to help put a little bit more power down smoother, a performance air ride setup probably from Ride tech, a JPC turbo kit along with the supporting mods to get the most out of it and to keep components from braking as best as possible and the GT350 brake setup. I mean I had no issues digging into a Laguna Seca with suspension components then digging into the engine bored stroked, heads, cams, intake, exhaust but it stayed true to the character of the car. With the GT350 H it has always been a N/A engine so by putting a turbo kit on it, I'm not sure how I feel about that and possibly mudding up its lineage if that makes any sense.

How important is the manual for you? Otherwise, it sounds like the GT-H matches your color options and includes the premium package. One option not listed is to wait and see what SAI does with the GTE for 2018 redesign, though this will likely not be your cheapest option.

I'm not certain, I've always had a manual (granted I'm 28 and have only had 2 Mustangs) and don't know how I feel about an automatic Mustang. It's nice to be able to row through the gears and have that connection with the car. With the auto, you kind of lose that connection a bit, and I'm not certain if the performance the 6R80 brings to the table is enough to make me not miss rowing through the gears.

I would like to see what SAI brings with the 2018 since the Gen 3 Coyote is amazing in what Ford has been able to do with it, but as you said, it won't be the cheapest option since new 2017's are selling for 25-26k vs. mid to high 30's for base GT on X-Plan. If I knew that SAI was going to do something with the 2018 and I could see what it could look like I would know for sure if I should wait and save my pennies or jump on a GT-H or a GTE since I love the styling on them. A crystal ball would be nice at this point in deciding what to put my focus on.

In that price range I would be all over a 13/14 GT500, but between the 2 I would probably pick the GTE. Manual tranny, no miles, and pick your colors. At current prices I am not so sure about the GTH holding its value better, maybe when they get in the low 40's.

I would be too, but there are 2 guys that have them in my club and a few more in the surrounding clubs that we hang out with. I like to have something that is unique that no one else really has which is why I saved up and worked for the Laguna Seca. Not to come across snobby even though it might sound that way. I'm slightly leaning more towards the GTE at this point though for those exact reasons you stated.

I just rented a GT-H and was sceptical about the automatic. I was presently suprised at how much I enjoyed it by putting it in sport mode. IMO, I would rescue a GT-H rather than purchase the GTE.

You're not the only one I have talked to that has said that they loved the automatic in the car as previously stated they are fun to drive, just a manual would make it even more fun haha.I would like to do both, but sadly I can't at the moment. Hopefully in a few years though :D

Just a couple thoughts on rarity/collectibility between the two cars.

Comparing overall build numbers the GTH would be a rarer car with 171 being built as compared to the GTE which should have more than 171 builds but with that said lets look at this closer. I assume by GTH you are talking about the retail rental version with an automatic transmission and if so we need to remember all rental GTH cars were built identical which would mean there would be another 152 GTH cars just like yours out there so you would have a 1 of 153 build.

Now lets look at the GTE. The odds of 153 GTE buyers ordering the car in the same body style, same paint color, same transmission, same Ford options, same Shelby options as you, well that would be pretty darn low in my opinion. And depending on how creative you get with the option ordering you could have a chance at a 1 of 1 build and not have to worry about an identical car showing up at a local car show.

Another item to consider is that with a GTE build you could be the cars original owner, something that you can't be with a GTH purchase. And with the GTE build you would have factory paperwork in your name, again something that wouldn't be there with a GTH purchase.

What I'm trying to convey is that with a GTE you very well could have a rarer car, no rental abuse, your choice of options and paperwork in your name which are all pluses for the GTE. The pluses for the GTH is the initial lower cost and the gold stripes which you couldn't get with a GTE.

So you still have a big decision to make and although the above might not help too much in that decision I thought I'd mention these items since you did bring up value and rarity is part of any value equation.

Steven

Just a couple thoughts on rarity/collectibility between the two cars.

Comparing overall build numbers the GTH would be a rarer car with 171 being built as compared to the GTE which should have more than 171 builds but with that said lets look at this closer. I assume by GTH you are talking about the retail rental version with an automatic transmission and if so we need to remember all rental GTH cars were built identical which would mean there would be another 152 GTH cars just like yours out there so you would have a 1 of 153 build.

Now lets look at the GTE. The odds of 152 GTE buyers ordering the car in the same body style, same paint color, same transmission, same Ford options, same Shelby options as you, well that would be pretty darn low in my opinion. And depending on how creative you get with the option ordering you could have a chance at a 1 of 1 build and not have to worry about an identical car showing up at a local car show.

Another item to consider is that with a GTE build you could be the cars original owner, something that you can't be with a GTH purchase. And with the GTE build you would have factory paperwork in your name, again something that wouldn't be there with a GTH purchase.

What I'm trying to convey is that with a GTE you very well could have a rarer car, no rental abuse, your choice of options and paperwork in your name which are all pluses for the GTE. The pluses for the GTH is the initial lower cost and the gold stripes which you couldn't get with a GTE.

So you still have a big decision to make and although the above might not help too much in that decision I thought I'd mention these items since you did bring up value and rarity is part of any value equation.

Steven

To me, I only count the Color of the Body, Color of the Interior, Interior Fabric, the Transmission, Stripe Color (or no stripes) and Wheels if more than one style is offered. That should be enough. Any other options to determine the value of the Car based on Rarity is just to picky. Before you know it someone will be saying theirs is a 1 of 1 because they have a rare set of Valve Stem Caps. Did any of them come with Nitrogen Filled Tires? Better include that. You can probably nit pick most Shelby's down a very low 1 of # but most of it is worthless when it come to actual Value. Just MHO.

My thought would be that the GTH wouldn't hold it's value if modifications are made. Personally I would go with the GTE and get what you want. Heck if you're gonna modify it, get a black one with the stripe delete and have gold stripes added later.... bingo, the best of both worlds!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

To me, I only count the Color of the Body, Color of the Interior, Interior Fabric, the Transmission, Stripe Color (or no stripes) and Wheels if more than one style is offered. That should be enough. Any other options to determine the value of the Car based on Rarity is just to picky. Before you know it someone will be saying theirs is a 1 of 1 because they have a rare set of Valve Stem Caps. Did any of them come with Nitrogen Filled Tires? Better include that. You can probably nit pick most Shelby's down a very low 1 of # but most of it is worthless when it come to actual Value. Just MHO.

David, I'm pretty sure I'm understanding the point you are trying to make but to say that it doesn't matter on any other options like if the car is 456hp vs 750hp, if the car has the carbon fiber option, 3.55 vs 3.73 rear gears, or say even the different brake caliper colors, well most collectors do believe it matters, at least to them. Since neither Ford nor Shelby offer different valve stem caps or nitrogen fill we don't have to worry about those items.

In my opinion, and I'm sure most collectors agree, that if an option was available from Ford or Shelby it should be applied to the cars rarity.

Steve

David, I'm pretty sure I'm understanding the point you are trying to make but to say that it doesn't matter on any other options like if the car is 456hp vs 750hp, if the car has the carbon fiber option, 3.55 vs 3.73 rear gears, or say even the different brake caliper colors, well most collectors do believe it matters, at least to them. Since neither Ford nor Shelby offer different valve stem caps or nitrogen fill we don't have to worry about those items.

In my opinion, and I'm sure most collectors agree, that if an option was available from Ford or Shelby it should be applied to the cars rarity.

Steve

I did say Engine, I do not see having the Only Shelby that came with a certain color of Brake Calipers would make any difference in Price or make anyone swoon over my Car, same for the Rear Gears and Carbon Fiber as they are not what I would call "Game Changers", but that just me. As far as the Val Stems and Nitrogen goes, I was being Sarcastic because I have met people at Car Shows trying to tell me that their Mustang or Camaro is worth $10K more then the other one because it has some little tiny piece that the other one doesn't have. BUT, like I said, that's just MY Opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine "Sport Mode" with a manual!

:drool:

06H275.....Beautiful collection, but how do you decide which one goes to a cruise , car show or sunny day drive. ? Nice problem to have Im sure. Ok back to GTE. Vs GTH. I havent driven a new auto in the mustang but Ive heard its very entertaining in sport mode. Will Shelby do a 18 GTH model with the 10 speed and upgrade in HP and all ? I would wait for that IMO. Edited by mach 1 1970