TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter boot retainer

Gdavenport

Im new here so first off sorry if this topic has been beat to death, I have a 08 gt500 and it already had an aftermarket shifter ball installed which was a bit of a pain to get loose, the boot retainer was all scratched up looked bad so I got a new ball that I liked and new boot retainer. The ball screws on nicely but the boot retainer will not screw on at all and I bought the ball and retainer they said I needed at the shelby store. Anyone else have this problem?

Im new here so first off sorry if this topic has been beat to death, I have a 08 gt500 and it already had an aftermarket shifter ball installed which was a bit of a pain to get loose, the boot retainer was all scratched up looked bad so I got a new ball that I liked and new boot retainer. The ball screws on nicely but the boot retainer will not screw on at all and I bought the ball and retainer they said I needed at the shelby store. Anyone else have this problem?

First of all Welcome to Team Shelby, as for the boot retainer & ball I just finished installing one bought from the Shelby Store & had no problem installing it. The boot retainer is plastic & maybe a little tight on the threads , I used a small crescent wrench on the retainer as it has two flats on it making easier to turn with a wrench.I never even used the lock nut supplied , as the thread on the ball was tight so when had the ball screwed on & in position I just locked the retainer against keeping the flats on the retainer in line with the shifter. The hardest part was getting the boot over the new retainer..

Ok, you need a 12mm x 1.25 metric hex die to clean up the rough threads on the shifter arm. PM me your email address if you want a picture of it and/or if you want to borrow it. I got it at NAPA.

:thumbsup:

Edit: I'd like to post the pic here but the file upload size limit is tiny.

Edited by Secondo