TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New guy needing some help

Eric Hansen

Hello everyone out there in Shelby country. My wife and I recently purchased a 2008 super snake and I could use some guidance on probably some basic things to you guys but any input will be appreciated

1. Insurance company I am talking to tell me they will only insure for 50,000. They say may consider insuring for more if I get an appraisal.

2. Who is a company that can do a good appraisal in my area, or do I need to find a different insurance company?

3. Are you guys taking your vehicles in to ford if you have work done or just want to have things checked over. I have never had any experience with a machine like this and last thing I want is someone that doesn't know what is going on under the hood.

I am located in South Dakota.

Thanks again.

Congratulations on your purchase Eric, and welcome to Team Shelby!

There are others here with more expertise than I, and I'm sure they will chime in at some point.

These forums are full of advise/experiences. Try running some searches and you'll likely find your questions, at least parts, answered.

1. I drive my car, not a garage queen. My first policy just listed my car as a Mustang GT. I switched and now insure with State Farm, and was very specific about the car's description (SGT/SC), with acknowledgement from the underwriter in writing, including a final number if written off. It took a couple days of back and forth to get it right. Your SS is as unique as my SGT/SC. Most insurers will list your car at its base - a GT 500 ($50,000). Your rare Super Snake won't be listed in their database, just like my specialized ride.

I should add that I don't drive in the winter here and my insurance changes to a lower rate during the "parked" period. Just let them know when you'll be storing your SS for winter and they should adjust.

2. I'm not as familiar with this route, but did some looking into specialized insurance with an appraisal. I found some of the insurance limitations didn't fit my driving lifestyle. Something to consider while you research.

3. I originally took my car into a local Ford dealership when I purchased in 2014, figuring this would be the way to go. Problem was; different mechanics, so I brought the car to an old mom/pop shop I've trusted for years, and now its either the owner or their best meticulous mechanic that works on it, even for oil changes. I feel the most comfortable with this arrangement. If I have an engine/SC issue, I know of another shop that specializes in supercharged Ford products.

Ultimately, it was my research here on the TS forums that garnered the info I needed in being aware of potential issues. Others here might add different advise, and you should take all into consideration, even those that oppose my route. Just my two cents.

1. This will depend greatly on how many miles you plan to drive the car. I contacted Hagerty when I bought my car, and they have an 'agreed value' plan. I suspect other insurers may have something similar. Of course there are the usual restrictions on where you plan to keep the car as well. I suspect in SD you have a garage.

2. Call around. I found that AAA was very inexpensive. Again, without knowing your age, your driving record, or other factors it is hard to do an internet assessment

3 I take my car to Ford. I feel it's worth having the dealer records in the long term. However, I do my own basic maintenance like oil changes.