TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500 CAT Converter Not working-smog check required

Shelby95322

The problem is the front right Cat Converter in not working properly anymore so I have the engine light on my dashboard, trying to pass required smog check in California, anyone can give me advice about what to do?? Replace the CAT which cost over 2K with the dealer or go for an after market exhaust system?( in this case, how can turn off the code on my computer so I don't get the engine light on dashboard anymore??, Thank you in advance

The problem is the front right Cat Converter in not working properly anymore so I have the engine light on my dashboard, trying to pass required smog check in California, anyone can give me advice about what to do?? Replace the CAT which cost over 2K with the dealer or go for an after market exhaust system?( in this case, how can turn off the code on my computer so I don't get the engine light on dashboard anymore??, Thank you in advance

Unless you have a scan tool that will clear the trouble code(s) you'll need to disconnect the cars battery to clear the codes. IMPORTANT REMINDER: if you disconnect the cars battery do NOT immediately go for a smog check as you will fail the smog test. You'll need to drive the car for a day or two as the cars computer needs to register several starts and some miles driven before it will pass smog.

California has very strict rules on replacement cat converters, replacements must have date codes and serial numbers on them that are approved by CARB. If you are sure your cat is bad I'd try to find a used one from say a low mile wrecked car or one that was removed from a car that had an exhaust upgrade.

Steve

You're going to have to get a repair. Anything that you do to "disable" the catalytic converters will also cause an emissions test failure. Nevada closely follows CA so they have similar requirements.

First, the catalytic converters have to be present. That is a visual inspection. Some muffler systems have "bumpouts" where the cats would be but when I had my emissions in Colorado they knew about that system and rejected it,

Another way would be a "tune" that disables the O2 sensors, but all such tunes will disable the system that monitors the cat/O2 sensors and you will be left with one or more "system not ready" states in the OBDII readiness test list. That is what causes the problem: CA (and NV) is an OBDII system readiness test. NV allows one "not ready" (which cannot be evap) but I've heard that now CA requires all systems to have passed the diagnostic.

That is the reason Steve cautioned about clearing codes. Clearing the CEL by using a OBDII tool or pulling the battery forces the ECU to go through a power up diagnostic sequence and clear all the system readiness indicators while it relearns all the adaptives. [This is why it is usually ill advised to clear the code for an Evap Pnnn code, usually caused by a leaky gas cap. The code will clear after two purge tests and won't require the car to relearn all of the other adaptives.]

I'll add that a full blown OBDII reader (bluetooth) is about $20 + a free smartphone app. I got mine from Amazon.com. It even has some fairly complete real-time data logging capability.

An annoying side story: The registration on my truck is due at the end of the month. I went to breakfast with some friends and was going to get the emissions test on the way home, and d*** if the check engine light didn't come on on the way to the restaurant. et home pull the code reader out and it's P0456 (slow evap leak). Yep, gas cap. Can't just get the gasket, have to buy a whole new cap. Why? Code cleared the next day and all systems ready and passed emissions.

Edited by twobjshelbys

By the way, doesn't the emissions system have a longer warranty? I think the feds require 10 years. Are you sure it's out of warranty? It's possible you're just in the window.

In California I believe its something like 7/70 or 8/80 and thats only if the car has not been modified.

Shelby95322, what year is your Shelby?