TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Honey West Shelby Cobra wearing SAI 013 MFG plates

SAI-Steven

One of those retro TV channels were playing the 1960's Honey West TV series this past weekend where the main character Honey West drives a Shelby Cobra. Interesting to see the car sporting the SAI 013 MFG license plates. Simpler time back then when everything didn't have to hidden or changed, think 555-5555 TV phone numbers.

So far the best Cobra episode appears to be episode 3 where the show opens with the Shelby Cobra being driven at the Griffith Observatory and then proceeds to be involved in a car chase where the Cobra isn't driven as well as it should be.

Lots of other little things to chuckle at like the car phone where phone calls were made without going through the mobile operator.

Actually found this Honey West episode on you tube, see link below.

Honey West.jpg

Gee Steve, you're dating yourself!I
I admit I was watching it too. I started off with the Burke's Law on Saturday and Sunday until it switched to Honey West and caught a few episodes. Honey West was a spinoff from Burke's Law and the last BL episode shown was the HW pilot. I posted this pic on the Cobra forum from one episode that had a lot of the Cobra in it

post-12356-0-32547200-1505155031_thumb.jpg

Sorry, pic was taken with cell phone camera of the TV screen :)

It was sort of funny (knowing just how big a Cobra trunk really is) when she parked the car and someone got out of the trunk.

Re: the phone: Someone on the other forum mentioned it was a ship-to-shore phone being used. Burke had an old style FM phone.

Edited by twobjshelbys

That was a cool show. I remember watching it as a kid.

The car used in the show was Cobra# CSX 2540

Ps: The fat guy in the wheel chair in that episode is Leon Askins, better known as General Burkhalter on Hogans Heroes.

Poor Porsche!

I'm guessing that wasn't a real Porsche going off the cliff as the Porsche 911 was only in production for two years when this show was filmed, its not like there were junkyards full of 911's back then. Most likely the "cliff" car was some more common European roadster dolled up to look like a 911.

Now if we can only figure out how that 2 ton Jaguar sedan out handled the Cobra on a twisty canyon road, well thats the magic of television.

Speaking of television it was interesting to see that the Honey West TV show was produced by Aaron Spelling, now we know how the Charlies Angels TV show got a Cobra II in it.

Steve