TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford to auction off the Shelby Cobra "Daisy" Concept car

SAI-Steven

It was not well received, especially after the GR-1 concept was shown some months later. Ford brought in Jay Mays from Audi in Europe to do the Cobra concept. He was very successful with the Audi TT design. But it looks like he transferred too much of that look to the Cobra.

It will not have a VIN # or Title......it WILL start and run. I wonder, since it is a One Off Concept car, if you take it a part and Photograph yourself building the Car, could you get a "Kit Car Title so you could drive it on the Street................ :whistling:

It was not well received, especially after the GR-1 concept was shown some months later. Ford brought in Jay Mays from Audi in Europe to do the Cobra concept. He was very successful with the Audi TT design. But it looks like he transferred too much of that look to the Cobra.

I agree on the appearance part but without this concept would we all be here on Team Shelby right now talking about 2005-2017 Shelby's?

Not street legal. This car will be rendered inoperable. Heck even CP1 would drive, even if at only 5MPH.

It has a 3 gallon gas tank.

I remember how incredible it sounded when they fired it up, and drove it at Carrolls 85th Birthday Bash

Wish I had video from that day

Not street legal. This car will be rendered inoperable. Heck even CP1 would drive, even if at only 5MPH.

From page 7 of the .PDF auction brochure...

"NOTE: For liability purposes, Ford Motor Company will render the car completely not drivable, however, the engine will remain functional. Specifically, before auction, Ford Motor Company will remove components and perform operations to disable the drivetrain permanently. These precautions must be taken since the car never went into production."

Wonder if it would be possible to "undo" Ford's disablement of the drivetrain?

-Pockdog

From page 7 of the .PDF auction brochure...

"NOTE: For liability purposes, Ford Motor Company will render the car completely not drivable, however, the engine will remain functional. Specifically, before auction, Ford Motor Company will remove components and perform operations to disable the drivetrain permanently. These precautions must be taken since the car never went into production."

Wonder if it would be possible to "undo" Ford's disablement of the drivetrain?

-Pockdog

Wouldn't it be funny if all they did was remove the Drive Shaft.............. :whistling:

• 2 months later...

This thread sort of died off after the announcement that the 2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Concept was going up for auction. Here is an update: It sold in mid-November for $825k at GAA Classic Cars auction in Greensboro, North Carolina, The individual who bought it was also a Former Ford engineer and enthusiast who was involved with the development of the car. He plans to make it road worthy again even though it can probably not be registered as street legal. Good to see this important piece of Shelby/Ford history went to someone who is an enthusiast and also plans to keep it in the public eye from time to time.

For anyone who is interested here is link about the sale and who bought it.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1113805_engineer-buys-ford-shelby-cobra-concept-he-helped-develop

Also including an 8 minute video featuring “The Man” talking about its development, it also includes him driving it and putting it through its paces about a decade ago. It’s cool to see that he could still drive the hell out of a car at 81 years old.

Edited by mhr1961

It has a 3 gallon gas tank.

I remember how incredible it sounded when they fired it up, and drove it at Carrolls 85th Birthday Bash

Wish I had video from that day

John Moore with Ford was driving it at the 85th when it broke at the road course. It was drivetrain, I believe the rear differ that broke.

Tom

I think Ford really missed a great opportunity with Daisy. At the end of the video, one of the engineers stated that it has to be delivered to the executives in such a way that they would say, "why wouldn't we build this car?" At the time when Ford was releasing the Ford GT and the new retro Mustang design, releasing a triple play and offering a new Cobra would have been fantastic. I think they could still release the Cobra now and it would be an instant classic/collectors car... and probably an awesome car to drive! :shift:

I think Ford really missed a great opportunity with Daisy. At the end of the video, one of the engineers stated that it has to be delivered to the executives in such a way that they would say, "why wouldn't we build this car?" At the time when Ford was releasing the Ford GT and the new retro Mustang design, releasing a triple play and offering a new Cobra would have been fantastic. I think they could still release the Cobra now and it would be an instant classic/collectors car... and probably an awesome car to drive! :shift:

A third vehicle would have confused the market, and at the likely price point, diluted Ford GT sales. Nice car but releasing it at the time would have been bad marketing. Now it might fly especially if they did:

1. Make as many as people want

2. Use the same kind of distribution strategy used on the new Ford GT: Ie, buyer purchases through Ford dealer with a car assigned to a buyer for no markup.

That makes it a special order but the numbers are known

Ford has said for decades they don't want to compete with the Corvette, but if a mid-engine 'Vette happens (I still think it is never going to happen) then Ford would be left with a gap this could fill.

Edited by twobjshelbys

A third vehicle would have confused the market, and at the likely price point, diluted Ford GT sales.

I guess that is possible, however in 2005 the markets were booming, real estate was booming, money was flowing.... they could have done a single year release of the Cobra as a very limited production run and I don't think that would have diluted Ford GT sales at all. If anything, the people buying the GT might have bought both at the same time. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..... (Wayne Gretzky).

A third vehicle would have confused the market, and at the likely price point, diluted Ford GT sales. Nice car but releasing it at the time would have been bad marketing. Now it might fly especially if they did:

1. Make as many as people want

2. Use the same kind of distribution strategy used on the new Ford GT: Ie, buyer purchases through Ford dealer with a car assigned to a buyer for no markup.

That makes it a special order but the numbers are known

Ford has said for decades they don't want to compete with the Corvette, but if a mid-engine 'Vette happens (I still think it is never going to happen) then Ford would be left with a gap this could fill.

Tony, how on earth can you say the mid-engine Vette aint happening?? :headscratch:

Edit- Sorry OP......we are getting way off topic.

Edited by BIKEBOY

Tony, how on earth can you say the mid-engine Vette aint happening?? :headscratch:

Edit- Sorry OP......we are getting way off topic.

What makes you think they will -- in your lifetime? It's been "next month" for the past 10 years (since the Ford GT)... It was going to be within a year after the new Ford GT was announced. If we don't see an announcement by the January Chicago show it won't be this year... And the new ZR1 certainly makes a mid-engine in the same class and that will just confuse the market (and shift volume to the equivalent performance lesser cost version)

Edited by twobjshelbys

What makes you think they will -- in your lifetime? It's been "next month" for the past 10 years (since the Ford GT)... It was going to be within a year after the new Ford GT was announced. If we don't see an announcement by the January Chicago show it won't be this year... And the new ZR1 certainly makes a mid-engine in the same class and that will just confuse the market (and shift volume to the equivalent performance lesser cost version)

They could already have it, we don't know. Ford built the latest GT with out ANYONE knowing until THEY wanted us to know. Why can't GM do that. They could just be waiting to see if the Ford GT is worth going up against before they spend the money.

I have a strong feeling that the Kentucky plant is closed to ALL because of secrecy with this very project / early production.

I think they would have done so already if their market base desired a mid engine Vette. Call me crazy, but the Corvette purists I have spoken with recently hate the idea of a mid engine Vette. When Porsche moved their engine forward in the RSR, it was supposed to dominate on the track... but it didn't. You can't tell me that the Corvette boys were not paying attention to that result. And at the end of the year they won the IMSA championship in a car that was deemed "uncompetitive". Now with that said, I realize BOP comes into play here and quite a bit of excellent timing/strategy/luck with the Corvette squad. I think the new ZR1 is a statement from Chevy that the Corvette will be a front engine beast moving forward well into the future. Maybe a mid engine car at some point when the demographic for the Vette is a different crowd.

• 2 months later...