TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking to Purchase Shelby GT or GT500KR

TEvans

I currently have a 2007 GT500 with 6600 miles. I am wanting to sell my current car and purchase either a 2008 Shelby GT/SC or 2008/2009 GT500KR.

Which one of these cars would be the better choice? Or would I be better off going with a 2013/2014 GT500?

Why dont you please give us more info, like what are you going to use the car for?, how often you will drive it?, are you going to do drag racing?, are you going to do autocross?, are you going to track it?, are you looking for handling or just plain straight-line hp, are you just going to use it for car shows?, is it a daily driver? is it a weekend cruiser, Is rarity important? Etc etc.

Asking which of the cars that you mentioned with no guidelines is going to get you dozens of different opinions and it may not be much help, perhaps narrow down your inquiry. I am not trying to be a smart ass but right now your question is so generalized it is sort of like posting and asking how long is a piece of string and what string do I need? Well, are you building a rope bridge?, are you flying a kite?, are you tying up somebody to kidnap them?, are you just practicing knot tying, do you need to mend a sock?, are you planning to hang yourself?, are you doing knitting? Etc, etc, etc.

even if you give more specifics you may still get wildly varying opinions but they may have more basis.

Edited by mhr1961

Will mainly use the car to cruise around on the weekends. Rarity is important. Not looking to track or race that car. Looking for a car that me and my wife and cruise around in and it stands out from the crowd.

Will mainly use the car to cruise around on the weekends. Rarity is important. Not looking to track or race that car. Looking for a car that me and my wife and cruise around in and it stands out from the crowd.

Understand the "rarity" myself. My 1 of 38 Gurney Saleen fits the bill for me. And with only 6700 miles on her, it's probably my all time fave! :cool:

Ford dealerships are asking way to much money for band new and used GT350s. Dealerships in Vegas are asking anywhere between 60 to 100K for a GT350. Used GT350s are between 56 and 65K (2016 and 2017).

I can get 2008/2009 GT500KR, or 2013 GT500 between 40 and 50K with very low mileage on them. Just hard to make a decision on what to purchase eventually.

Ford dealerships are asking way to much money for band new and used GT350s. Dealerships in Vegas are asking anywhere between 60 to 100K for a GT350. Used GT350s are between 56 and 65K (2016 and 2017).

I can get 2008/2009 GT500KR, or 2013 GT500 between 40 and 50K with very low mileage on them. Just hard to make a decision on what to purchase eventually.

You can get a nice GT/SC for around $30K plus or minus $2-3K, I absolutely love mine and it's more rare then your other options. You're in a Win-Win situation

What's the "R" stand for? I'm inclined to say- Red.

It's a "KR without any of the flashy expensive options" (just a figure of speech!).....only KR tune & CAI, KR shifter, KR exhaust, larger standard rear spoiler, front brake cooling.....none of the shiny wheels, flashy stripes or carbon fiber......custom ordered for a gentleman who collected "sleeper cars".

Note: custom built by dealer for customer....NOT SAI

Edited by blackcad55

It's a KR without any of the flashy expensive options.....only KR tune & CAI, KR shifter, KR exhaust, larger standard rear spoiler, front brake cooling.....none of the shiny wheels, flashy stripes or carbon fiber......custom ordered for a gentleman who collected "sleeper cars".

Was it modified at Shelby American or did it have KR parts added by a dealer or individual?

Was it modified at Shelby American or did it have KR parts added by a dealer or individual?

I am the third owner of the car, so I don't have all the details, but with the paperwork that is still with the car, it looks like it was issued an 08KR**** number, but then cancelled and sent to dealer for final modification. It's a very interesting car with some cool, unseen touches that have made the car a real joy to own. It is still in almost perfect factory condition, top to bottom.

I am the third owner of the car, so I don't have all the details, but with the paperwork that is still with the car, it looks like it was issued an 08KR**** number, but then cancelled and sent to dealer for final modification. It's a very interesting car with some cool, unseen touches that have made the car a real joy to own. It is still in almost perfect factory condition, top to bottom.

What would be more interesting is if someone from SAI would chime in here and validate that this car is officially considered an "R" or of its just a "KR".

I think the owner already answered that, mods were done at the dealer, that tells me it is a regular GT500 with dealer mods. Hopefully it was sold that way....

Could be more to it, but that's what I'm interpreting out of the above comments.

I know what the owner stated. that's why I said it would be interesting if someone from SAI would chime in here.

I currently have a 2007 GT500 with 6600 miles. I am wanting to sell my current car and purchase either a 2008 Shelby GT/SC or 2008/2009 GT500KR.

Which one of these cars would be the better choice? Or would I be better off going with a 2013/2014 GT500?

13/14 GT500 w/ 662hp is not really your 'cruiser' with that wicked power

Car Show and Cruising go for the GT/SC

I think the owner already answered that, mods were done at the dealer, that tells me it is a regular GT500 with dealer mods. Hopefully it was sold that way....

Could be more to it, but that's what I'm interpreting out of the above comments.

Yes, I have been in touch with SAI and you are correct....it is "officially" only a GT500 modified by the dealer. No GT500R were ever produced by SAI. It was a special-ordered, no option, 1 of 37 Torch Red Stripe-Delete car, customized by the dealer for a good customer who collected stripped-down "sleeper cars" (hemi Belvedere, COPO Camaro, Boss 429).....as per the second owner who I did speak with. Ordering a special KR from SAI was considered for increased performance, but dropped due to "flashy" options the original owner did not want. I give the dealer credit for producing a nice, neat, professional package for a customer.....making it a very unique ride for us subsequent owners.

Edited by blackcad55

Just for an FYI. There is no such thing as a KR conversion. Every single production KR was born a KR. You can not pay anyone to turn a GT500 into a real KR. With that said you can buy all the parts to make a very nice KR clone. Also you still can send a GT500 to SAI and they will turn it into a pretty sweet SuperSnake.

Just for an FYI. There is no such thing as a KR conversion. Every single production KR was born a KR. You can not pay anyone to turn a GT500 into a real KR. With that said you can buy all the parts to make a very nice KR clone. Also you still can send a GT500 to SAI and they will turn it into a pretty sweet SuperSnake.

I guess I should have stated, "ordering a special KR from SAI was considered"......since they were all brand new GT500's built in Flat Rock and shipped to Las Vegas for "conversion"

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, I was able to edit my post....check.

No problem...

I would love to see the paperwork you have. PM if you like.

Now back to the original topic....