TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires

RmGardner

Well my Shelby is 10 years old and has about 26,000 miles on the tires. I think it is time to buy new ones. First because they are old and second because it seems they have gotten very noisy. I bought the car new and they have been getting worse. What kind of tires has anyon bought to replace the original tires. Rick Gardner

Rick I went with OEM. Pirelli P Zero. Same size as original. Close to 25,000 and wearing very even. Had rotated twice in those miles.

I vote for the Continental Extreme Contact DW Tuned I got last year. I don't know if these are still available, however they are smooth, quiet and grip very well.

I vote for the Continental Extreme Contact DW Tuned I got last year. I don't know if these are still available, however they are smooth, quiet and grip very well.

They are even better now, called Extreme Contact Sport, I have them on my S2000, love them!!! Quiet and great grip, supposed to be comparable to Mich SS for cheaper price.

• 3 weeks later...

Rick, I was in the same situation, bought my '07 new and coming up on my 10 year anniversary next month (Sept 21). With 24,000 miles, the tires were in good shape, just old. General thought is tires should be replaced every 8 years +_, depending on who you talk to. I went with Michelin AS +3's in the original size. Grip and ride are great and are much quieter than the original Pirelli's. I've found that as tires age they get harder and noisier though so that may be the reason for the quietness of the Michelins. Let us know what you decide on.

Jim

Rick, I was in the same situation, bought my '07 new and coming up on my 10 year anniversary next month (Sept 21). With 24,000 miles, the tires were in good shape, just old. General thought is tires should be replaced every 8 years +_, depending on who you talk to. I went with Michelin AS +3's in the original size. Grip and ride are great and are much quieter than the original Pirelli's. I've found that as tires age they get harder and noisier though so that may be the reason for the quietness of the Michelins. Let us know what you decide on.

Jim

Don’t know where you are getting your “general thought” of an 8 year replacement time. The Tire Safety Group recommends replacement within 6 years from date of manufacture. The Safety Research & Strategy's Inc at the 2014 NTSB Safety symposium concluded 6 years as well. Most major car manufacturers now note to replace your Tires within 6 years of age. Ford lists 6 years in most of their owners manuals.

The clock starts ticking on a tire the moment it is manufactured due to oxidation. There are several other studies that support the six year recommendation. Many major tire manufacturers are also now issuing statements or warning to replace tires within 6 years or less from date of manufacture. This six year recommendation is whether the tires are stored in a warehouse or used on your vehicle.

from Fords website:

Tires degrade over time depending on many factors such as weather, storage conditions, and conditions of use (load, speed, inflation pressure, etc.) the tires experience throughout their lives. In general, Ford Motor Company recommends tires should be replaced after six years regardless of tread wear. You should replace your spare tire when you replace the road tires or after six years due to aging even if it has not been used. Your local Ford Dealership has the right tires for your vehicle and is the best place for any other service your vehicle needs, including tire rotation, wheel alignment, and more.

Edited by mhr1961

Don’t know where you are getting your “general thought” of an 8 year replacement time. The Tire Safety Group recommends replacement within 6 years from date of manufacture. The Safety Research & Strategy's Inc at the 2014 NTSB Safety symposium concluded 6 years as well. Most major car manufacturers now note to replace your Tires within 6 years of age. Ford lists 6 years in most of their owners manuals.

The clock starts ticking on a tire the moment it is manufactured due to oxidation. There are several other studies that support the six year recommendation. Many major tire manufacturers are also now issuing statements or warning to replace tires within 6 years or less from date of manufacture. This six year recommendation is whether the tires are stored in a warehouse or used on your vehicle.

from Fords website:

Tires degrade over time depending on many factors such as weather, storage conditions, and conditions of use (load, speed, inflation pressure, etc.) the tires experience throughout their lives. In general, Ford Motor Company recommends tires should be replaced after six years regardless of tread wear. You should replace your spare tire when you replace the road tires or after six years due to aging even if it has not been used. Your local Ford Dealership has the right tires for your vehicle and is the best place for any other service your vehicle needs, including tire rotation, wheel alignment, and more.

In our litigious society everyone makes certain to cover their respective butts. Edmonds somewhat agrees with your research but goes on to say.

How Long Does a Tire Last?

Carmakers, tire makers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

If you feel better changing tires every 6 years, by all means do so. A lot depends on how the tire has been used, whether the inflation has been monitored closely, curbs and pot holes hit etc. My tire shop said 8 years, thus my responce...not meaning to set any safety standards here.

Jim

Tire size. Has anyone gotten 315/35/20 tires on a 07/08 Super Snake. Currently running 305/35:20 with widened 11" wheels and brake cooling ducts removed. 305s fit fine. Thx

You are posting in the Shelby GT Forum, you are more likely to get an answer if you post your question about Super Snakes in the Super Snake Forums.

Jim

Thank you for the info. Makes sense that the older the more noise. I went to Somerset Ky for their August Somernites and it was a noisey 1300 miles .

Check the date code on the new tires to be sure you are getting fresh ones!!

Yes, 6-8 yrs is the rule for replacing tires as the sidewalls lose their elasticity.

Always find it interesting to hear guys at car show bragging about their 20 yr old car that still has 'original tires.'

I usually try and leave the show before they do.....