TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Max Horsepower

​Whether you on a Shelby GT or GT/SC who has gotten big horsepower numbers out of your 4.6 and what did you do??

​Our cars are basically 10 and 11 years old and the 5.0 Coyote is so far advanced beyond the 4.6 its not even worth talking about it. Then add all the GT350's with the 5.2 and those are making big power even ridiculous numbers with a power adder. Even a GTE has way more power and its a messed up name!

​I been considering an engine swap for awhile but adding the numbers up damn I can buy a used 2013-2014 GT500 for the cost of say a 5.2 crate or 5.4 GT500 engine plus 6R80 and all the other parts they add up real quick. Of all the Mustangs I own my 2008 Shelby GT/SC is my favorite and will never sell it as long as I am breathing but its lacking power with the newer Stangs and Camaro's and Challenger's

​Any opinion's?

Umm, don't say go drive the Terlingua with all that power as the GT/SC still my favorite

That's the problem with more horsepower, it's never enough no matter what you do as someone else will always have more money to throw at it.

I'm perfectly content with both my SGT's (one for street one for twisty tracks) being NA.

I don't know what the question is we're supposed to answer but I think it boils down to progress. Computers get bigger (actually smaller), faster, better with time. The same thing happens with cars and toasters and refrigerators (and neither, just like cars, lasts as long as their 20-year-old ancestors

Build the bottom end of the 4.6. Stroke it out, Add performance heads w/cams (if don't have them already) and you'll be in the 700-750 range easily. Pulley will get you higher obviously once the bottom end is forged. That's my plan at least.

NO, bottom end is not built out yet and no hot cams. 4.6 w/ Kenne Bell from SAI factory, has a Jon Lund tune w/ Kooks Headers and full Kooks exhaust

I talked with Livernois about a 4.6 build and their cost umm might as well put in a brand new crate

Who has the top 4.6 stroker kits

I don't know what the question is we're supposed to answer but I think it boils down to progress. Computers get bigger (actually smaller), faster, better with time. The same thing happens with cars and toasters and refrigerators (and neither, just like cars, lasts as long as their 20-year-old ancestors

True....just look at what's on the roads in Cuba. :cool:

NO, bottom end is not built out yet and no hot cams. 4.6 w/ Kenne Bell from SAI factory, has a Jon Lund tune w/ Kooks Headers and full Kooks exhaust

I talked with Livernois about a 4.6 build and their cost umm might as well put in a brand new crate

Who has the top 4.6 stroker kits

I agree, it's gonna be some coin regardless of which direction you choose. I was thinking more along the lines of preserving the numbers matching engine of your GT/SC and keeping the original block with it. Installing a new crate motor would prob be way more cause the KB on the 4.6 wouldn't work on the 5.0 coyote, that would need to be replaced with a new SC. As far as best stoker kits go, it just depends on what your preference is on name brands really. SCAT makes some good kits for the 4.6.

Something else you can do to your current setup is upgrade your KB kit to a stage 2 as they call it, which is basically adding the 130mm monoblade TB

I've looked into going the short block route and then moving all my stuff over to it, but in the end I think Id rather have my engine rebuilt.

http://www.blowbyracing.com/20mugtbbrsh.html

http://www.modularmotorsport ing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_61

http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-298e-2005-2010-3v-mustang-stroker-short-block/

Jeff

Edited by MyBlueHeaven

Wouldn't it be almost as cheap to buy an aluminator block as to fortify an existing block?

They don't make the aluminator block anymore, I've looked, it's been a few years since it's been available.

4.6 that is, I believe the aluminator is now a 5.0.

Edited by MyBlueHeaven

Most engine builders were running specials and you could get a built shortblock 4.6 or 5.0 for around $4000 about 5 years ago. Those days are long gone now. I'm happy with my JDM 302 stroker. 25,000 miles on it so far with 700HP crank and not a single issue. Since you're in Florida, I would talk to VMP.

bwh302.jpg

Edited by TheKurgan

Most engine builders were running specials and you could get a built shortblock 4.6 or 5.0 for around $4000 about 5 years ago. Those days are long gone now. I'm happy with my JDM 302 stroker. 25,000 miles on it so far with 700HP crank and not a single issue. Since you're in Florida, I would talk to VMP.

attachicon.gifbwh302.jpg

Good Stuff, I hope to be where you're at with power one day.

The SGT has an intrinsic value as it is. Why ruin it by changing out original components? You could go get a 5.0 Mustang and aftermarket it for the cost of a new engine system (yes, you have to swap ALL of the electronics too).

For me the reason was pretty simple. 325 horsepower is now a joke. And yeah you can swap motors etc all day long but you're talking about either a whole lot of labor cost, tuning, etc. or spending 6 months every night in your garage doing it yourself like I did.

The SGT has an intrinsic value as it is. Why ruin it by changing out original components? You could go get a 5.0 Mustang and aftermarket it for the cost of a new engine system (yes, you have to swap ALL of the electronics too).

I agree 100%. Also the values of a stock SGT is all over the board.

Also there will be almost be no stronger in value in the GT/SC until they stop making the package, it is close now. The engine will soon be too old to justify the cost of Sc'ing the car. Even mine with 1900 miles++/-- is too old to try to add more HP the thing is 10+ years old. I'm keeping mine the same it is fast enough as is.

Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Build the bottom end of the 4.6. Stroke it out, Add performance heads w/cams (if don't have them already) and you'll be in the 700-750 range easily. Pulley will get you higher obviously once the bottom end is forged. That's my plan at least.

This.

If you can't find an Aluminator, this is the way.

I got one of the last 46x strokers. Love it.

Y'all remember Big Carl's car. That thing was badass!

He built existing motor and over-the-top suspension.

Coolest Mustang I've ever seen, IMHO.

I think he had around 550whp that virtually nothing on the road (in the real-world) could catch.

Don't care about the value I drive it and as long as I am alive I will never sell my GT/SC its my favorite Mustang and very true when you add the cost of all the components needed you could buy a low mileage GT500

• 4 weeks later...

Over the years I've been chasing the HP game. It came to a halt when my 2014 GT500 and 662hp was almost useless on the street. Tried different tires still not solved. O to 60 in first 3.6 and no shifting required boring. Got rid of her after too many second gear sideway road situations. Now driving a 2017 460hp grand sport that doesn't try to kill me @ wot situations. It's got 335's on the back and sticks like glue. Fun car and enough HP to outperform any car on the track or street in its price range. 2017 z06 another car that will bite you in the ASS. Back on topic the SGT is another fun car and I would not modify it one bit . It sounds awesome and has the old car look. Great stance and the tires fill the wheel wells perfectly. 13 boss 302 with lowering springs car looks good still has that old car look. Like I said I'm done chasing HP for good. 2019 Shelby GT500 I'm not even interested anymore. 2019 mid engine corvette probably. Hellcat never been a dodge fan. Hell why stop there go get a 1000hp Shelby.

Edited by mach 1 1970