TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSM Numbers

rsr

Just ordered a 50th anniversary Super Snake Whipple 750HP - As I understand it they are just doing 500 of these with the bulk going to Europe - My CSM# 17SS0500 - I have no idea about the VIN# as the car has not been built yet but they do have the donor car in Vegas. Can someone out there enlighten me about the CSM numbers? Thanks much!

RSR

Just ordered a 50th anniversary Super Snake Whipple 750HP - As I understand it they are just doing 500 of these with the bulk going to Europe - My CSM# 17SS0500 - I have no idea about the VIN# as the car has not been built yet but they do have the donor car in Vegas. Can someone out there enlighten me about the CSM numbers? Thanks much!

RSR

Welcome to TS.

You may want to contact Shelby in Las Vegas directly via phone or email. SAI typically does not use the Team Shelby website to respond to such inquiries. If your donor car is out at the SAI Vegas Facility, I would think they would have the VIN since the Super Snake is currently built off the Ford Mustang GT. If I recall correctly, it was advertised that the Super Snakes would be limited to 500 units. In regard to CSM numbers, they aren’t always in sequence so your CSM number of #17SS0500 may not mean it is the last one built. SAI can give you more definitive answers. Best of luck in getting your inquiry addressed.

What colors did you chose?

Edited by mhr1961

Welcome to TS.

You may want to contact Shelby in Las Vegas directly via phone or email. SAI typically does not use the Team Shelby website to respond to such inquiries. If your donor car is out at the SAI Vegas Facility, I would think they would have the VIN since the Super Snake is currently built off the Ford Mustang GT. If I recall correctly, it was advertised that the Super Snakes would be limited to 500 units. In regard to CSM numbers, they aren’t always in sequence so your CSM number of #17SS0500 may not mean it is the last one built. SAI can give you more definitive answers. Best of luck in getting your inquiry addressed.

What colors did you chose?

Thanks for the quick reply as I am new to the board, I got the white with the blue painted stripes, upgraded interior barton short throw shifter. I grew up around muscle cars back in 60's - we had no idea what we had back then.

RSR

rsr,

I'm not sure exactly what info you're looking for in regards to CSM numbers but in general CSM numbers should only be looked at as a Shelby issued serial number and never as a build sequence number. As you can see with your SS build, you were issued CSM #500 even though 500 anniversary cars have not yet been built which means there will be cars built after your car with a lower CSM number than #500.

While you're more than welcome to ask questions here on Team Shelby you will receive a more timely response by dealing directly with your salesperson at Shelby American. Don't ever fell like you're bothering them, that is why they are there. From answering questions before the sale to handling any issues during & after the build your Shelby salesperson will be right there with you.

Also if your salesperson located a donor car at a local Vegas dealership you should have no problem receiving the VIN number from either the dealership or the sales department. In fact I'm surprised you don't have the VIN already as it would have been on the sales contract from the selling dealership.

If you have any specific questions on CSM numbers feel free to reach out to me or to your Shelby salesperson for an answer. And congrats on your SS Anniversary build.

Steve

I read what he said as, The GT Mustang is at SAI Waiting to be Built.

I guess it depends on what he means by "has not been built." If he means Ford hasn't built the Mustang then it makes sense he doesn't have a VIN. But if the "donor" car is in Las Vegas then it has a VIN. Whether or not SAI has built the SS is irrelevant to a VIN. What he wrote is just very confusing.

Edited by Al G.

rsr,

I'm not sure exactly what info you're looking for in regards to CSM numbers but in general CSM numbers should only be looked at as a Shelby issued serial number and never as a build sequence number. As you can see with your SS build, you were issued CSM #500 even though 500 anniversary cars have not yet been built which means there will be cars built after your car with a lower CSM number than #500.

While you're more than welcome to ask questions here on Team Shelby you will receive a more timely response by dealing directly with your salesperson at Shelby American. Don't ever fell like you're bothering them, that is why they are there. From answering questions before the sale to handling any issues during & after the build your Shelby salesperson will be right there with you.

Also if your salesperson located a donor car at a local Vegas dealership you should have no problem receiving the VIN number from either the dealership or the sales department. In fact I'm surprised you don't have the VIN already as it would have been on the sales contract from the selling dealership.

If you have any specific questions on CSM numbers feel free to reach out to me or to your Shelby salesperson for an answer. And congrats on your SS Anniversary build.

Steve

Thank you Steve, let me clear up a couple of things from some of the replies here. I talked to SA back in early June to see if the orders were full, SA told me they still had a few slots left and if i was interested they would put me with the right dealership here in the Southeast. While I was on the phone with SA they pulled out the sales order form and we discussed what options I might be interested in. Hey guys I'm 61 and all I know is late model 60's and 1970 muscle cars and believe me I've been in just about all of them expect the Shelby back in 65 but knew a couple of guys that had one....let me get back to my order that day. As we discussed my options I could not believe that I was actually getting ready to order this extremely beautiful beast. By the way, the car is just like the prototype on Lou's car story at SA with Gary Patterson - same color with painted stripes, 750 Whipple Barton throw shifter but did not order the track. This my friends is a car I will drive on the weekends and keep in the garage. Anyway the list was made up, and SA found a dealership here in the Southeast they gave me the guys name and told me exactly what I needed for the donor - GT Mustang 401A package. I told SA I would sleep on it which I did, got up the next morning called SA (they are 3 hours behind us here in the SE) said its a go, got the OK from the wife of course called the dealership on the donor and could not believe that SA had already called this dealer and told them to expect a call from me - Gave SA a deposit and the dealer a deposit. About a week or so went by and received an e mail from SA to look over the sales order and reply back if all looks good which I did. Thinking back while on the phone with SA they had asked me what my favorite number is and I said I guess 5 - My sales order has a CSM #17SS0500. As I said above, I'm 61 and was thinking maybe this is the last on built, it so happens that the 500 number was not taken so it was mine. I realize that the donor car has a vin# and the CSM # somehow will correlate to be put in the Shelby register - Anyway these guys at SA are wonderful and I'm getting ready to go back into my teens - I can't wait guys - I am having another garage built just for this Shelby and maybe another special car one day - Yes, it took me this long to get one of my dream cars... a little over a 100 grand - sorry if I've confused everyone but I'm new at this thing. I didn't even know they weren't making the GT500 any longer.....duh! And yes, I do feel like I am a bother to SA to ask these questions, that's why I signed up here -

RSR

Edited by rsr

RSR,

Congrats, I know the feeling well of ordering a Shelby, it cannot be beat! Enjoy. :cool:

Yes be sure to register the new beast with Shelby Registry a link can be found belowif helpful when ready.

David

RSR,

Congrats, I know the feeling well of ordering a Shelby, it cannot be beat! Enjoy. :cool:

Yes be sure to register the new beast with Shelby Registry a link can be found belowif helpful when ready.

David

Thanks David

Ed,

I went over to the sales department and looked up your build, I see who the dealership is that is supplying the base car and as of this morning there is no VIN listed. I would suggest reaching out to the dealership in regards to obtaining your cars VIN number as we may not have the VIN until the car actually arrives here at Shelby American.

Your Shelby salesperson Mike is a busy guy but don't ever feel like your bothering him if you have any unanswered questions. Emailing Mike is probably best but a phone call will also work.

Steve

Ed,

I went over to the sales department and looked up your build, I see who the dealership is that is supplying the base car and as of this morning there is no VIN listed. I would suggest reaching out to the dealership in regards to obtaining your cars VIN number as we may not have the VIN until the car actually arrives here at Shelby American.

Your Shelby salesperson Mike is a busy guy but don't ever feel like your bothering him if you have any unanswered questions. Emailing Mike is probably best but a phone call will also work.

Steve

Thank you! Mike has been very helpful and you're right he is very busy.

Congratulations in joining the Shelby family. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy the car and always watch out for the idiots on the road !!

Been years since i've been in a true muscle car! As I've mentioned, we had no idea what we had back then. What they are making today would blow the doors off of the old muscle!

Edited by rsr

Congratulations! I had the thrill of driving the blue/white stripe prototype SS back in April. Amazing and beautiful car..

Tell me more about this rocket, I ordered the same color scheme - black interior blue inserts, barton short throw shifter, 750hp whipple 17SS0500 what a number!

upgraded interior, standard seats - hope to have it later September early October --will post pictures!!

Edited by rsr

Tell me more about this rocket, I ordered the same color scheme - black interior blue inserts, barton short throw shifter, 750hp whipple 17SS0500 what a number!

upgraded interior, standard seats - hope to have it later September early October --will post pictures!!

The only warning I can say is be careful of the Performance Tires when they are Cold. Not when IT is Cold but when the Tires are Cold. They are harder and not so grippy.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club Ed. I will tell you the waiting is truly the hardest part, but it is worth it.

You seem excited to have #500, but as cool as that is, I do think you should be prepared to see some other random numbers above 500.

Case in point- the new Terlingua was limited to 50 here in the states, and I just saw #55 rolling through the shop. An earlier car I had built was a 07TRT00XX, and yet the car is an 2008. Lol. It happens that way sometimes. CSM numbers often elude a clear protocol to us owners, but every one is special all the same. Enjoy it like I know you will!

Welcome to the club Ed. I will tell you the waiting is truly the hardest part, but it is worth it.

You seem excited to have #500, but as cool as that is, I do think you should be prepared to see some other random numbers above 500.

Case in point- the new Terlingua was limited to 50 here in the states, and I just saw #55 rolling through the shop. An earlier car I had built was a 07TRT00XX, and yet the car is an 2008. Lol. It happens that way sometimes. CSM numbers often elude a clear protocol to us owners, but every one is special all the same. Enjoy it like I know you will!

Do I or does SI register my shelby once built and thanks for your post!

Do I or does SI register my shelby once built and thanks for your post!

Either way works. You can wait for the sales department to submit your build info to the Registry, they do this several times a year, or you can Register the car yourself from the Registry homepage. If you decide to Register the car yourself please wait until you take delivery of your car as technically is is not an official build until you take delivery after the build is complete.

Warren,

Did you see a dash plaque with a CSM number 50 or did you see a Terlingua with a gumball sticker with the number 50 printed on it? Huge difference between a SAI issued CSM serial number and a owners choice of a cosmetic gumball sticker. Yes some owners have chosen a gumball sticker to match their CSM number but not all have.

Steve

Either way works. You can wait for the sales department to submit your build info to the Registry, they do this several times a year, or you can Register the car yourself from the Registry homepage. If you decide to Register the car yourself please wait until you take delivery of your car as technically is is not an official build until you take delivery after the build is complete.

Thanks Steven!

RSR

Warren,

Did you see a dash plaque with a CSM number 50 or did you see a Terlingua with a gumball sticker with the number 50 printed on it? Huge difference between a SAI issued CSM serial number and a owners choice of a cosmetic gumball sticker. Yes some owners have chosen a gumball sticker to match their CSM number but not all have.

Steve

I did not see the CSM, but Chris posted a picture of 55 still in the SA shop. I was not given an option on my gumball number, so I was unaware that was even possible. In the past, CSM numbers were not limited to a certain range for number of builds though either. The 2011 GT350 had numbers all over the place. It isn't anything negative, but if Ed thought 500 was the last in the range of CSMs, I didn't want him disappointed down the line if that didn't turn out that way.

I did not see the CSM, but Chris posted a picture of 55 still in the SA shop. I was not given an option on my gumball number, so I was unaware that was even possible. In the past, CSM numbers were not limited to a certain range for number of builds though either. The 2011 GT350 had numbers all over the place. It isn't anything negative, but if Ed thought 500 was the last in the range of CSMs, I didn't want him disappointed down the line if that didn't turn out that way.

I never could understand why they were not numbered in order and limited to the given number to be built. If 500 is the set number then why would any be numbered 501 or higher? I would think the CSM Number wouldn't be assigned to a Vehicle until the last day of the Build of that Vehicle.

The photo you saw of a Terlingua wearing a #50 gumball is a Terlingua with a much lower CSM number. As mentioned gumball numbers are not connected to the CSM number although most owners choose to just go with the a gumball matching their CSM number. Other owners have gone with their favorite racing number, the model year of their car or even Carroll's #98 as their choice of gumball number.

Although I'm pretty sure the OP was aware from the beginning that his SS was not going to be the last one built it never hurts to clarify things as other enthusiasts reading the thread might not know that so there's a good chance your post is or will help another Shelby enthusiast down the road.

Steve