TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt500KR Alcoa wheel value?

What are the GT500KR wheels worth? I have a extra set of KR wheels that came with my KR that I bought so I have a total of 2 sets now of the Alcoa Forged aluminum wheels. The original set has the KR tires still on them with less than 100 miles is since they still have the paint on the tread. I called Shelby a few days ago in Las Vegas, and they told me they only sold those wheels for 3 years after the KR's were made. At that time they were going for $2,000 a rim back then..wonder what they are worth now.

Edited by Kahler999

18" wheels, do you hear something? It must be the 90's calling, they want their wheels back!

You have your decades incorrect. 18" wheels and tires were stock on the GT500 through 2009. My view, which begins back when 15" wheels where tall, 18" wheels and tires are, for street use, the wiser choice over the lower profile tires that have to be used on the 19" and 20" wheels for our Mustangs. They are the better choice because they have the profile (sidewall) height to absorb most of the punishment dealt out by the far less than perfect roads many of us drive on. I have seen multiple instances where 19" or 20" wheels have suffered what I will call pothole damage that has required the replacement of the wheel. I understand if one's sense of esthetics is such that he or she prefers the look of the 19" or 20" wheels but, in terms of performance, the lower profile tires on the 19" and 20" wheels tend to be of benefit only to a person doing serious track work and, in that instance, they are superior. I still prefer 18" wheels and tires on the track but that may be just what I am used to for the last 10 years.

Jim

You have your decades incorrect. 18" wheels and tires were stock on the GT500 through 2009. My view, which begins back when 15" wheels where tall, 18" wheels and tires are, for street use, the wiser choice over the lower profile tires that have to be used on the 19" and 20" wheels for our Mustangs. They are the better choice because they have the profile (sidewall) height to absorb most of the punishment dealt out by the far less than perfect roads many of us drive on. I have seen multiple instances where 19" or 20" wheels have suffered what I will call pothole damage that has required the replacement of the wheel. I understand if one's sense of esthetics is such that he or she prefers the look of the 19" or 20" wheels but, in terms of performance, the lower profile tires on the 19" and 20" wheels tend to be of benefit only to a person doing serious track work and, in that instance, they are superior. I still prefer 18" wheels and tires on the track but that may be just what I am used to for the last 10 years.

Jim

I know what wheels were on the early '07-'09 GT500s, I owned one. The 18s are from another era and would be long gone if I still had my '08 Shelby GT500. 18s? Forget about 'em. Hang them on a wall or make bar stools out of the damn outdated things.

Edited by bossmango

I know what wheels were on the early '07-'09 GT500s, I owned one. The 18s are from another era and would be long gone if I still had my '08 Shelby GT500. 18s? Forget about 'em. Hang them on a wall or make bar stools out of the damn outdated things.

To each his own I suppose.

Jim

I'm one of those guys that still prefer the 18's also.

Certainly nothing wrong with the original 18s. I was not intending to offend anyone's preferences as we all have our tastes. Personally I would stay with 18s if I was not looking to change or upgrade a wheel package. 19s would be the choice most of us would elect for at that juncture.

18's were chosen by Ford engineers for the KR's because they handled better than the incorrectly offset 20" Alcoas.

While I have read the same thing I think it's ironic that in following years the GT500 came out with "19s & "20s. I've changed both of my KRs over to the "20 Alcoas & while the ride is definitely firmer I don't plan in ever putting the stock "18s back on, especially since I've got the Shelby/Baer 6S all on four corners.

While I have read the same thing I think it's ironic that in following years the GT500 came out with "19s & "20s. I've changed both of my KRs over to the "20 Alcoas & while the ride is definitely firmer I don't plan in ever putting the stock "18s back on, especially since I've got the Shelby/Baer 6S all on four corners.

Because Ford put the correct backspacing and offset on their wheels. The Shelby Alcoa 20" wheels were too far out offset and didnt make full use of the space within the wheel wells which compromised traction potential and resulted in a limited tire width of 275mm or risk rubbing the fenders. IMO the 20's do look better than the 18's but the 18's handle better overall.

Edited by Secondo

We'll everyone is entitled to their opinion. I had Eric Vaughn fix the back spacing issue on my rear wheels. I guess my first impression of the KR was at their unveiling and they were outfitted with "20s.

Because Ford put the correct backspacing and offset on their wheels. The Shelby Alcoa 20" wheels were too far out offset and didnt make full use of the space within the wheel wells which compromised traction potential and resulted in a limited tire width of 275mm or risk rubbing the fenders. IMO the 20's do look better than the 18's but the 18's handle better overall.

I am probably showing my age (67) because I cannot make myself like the look of 20' wheels on at least my version of the Mustang (2008). But, as others have said, to each his own. Nice to have so many choices.

Jim

We'll everyone is entitled to their opinion. I had Eric Vaughn fix the back spacing issue on my rear wheels. I guess my first impression of the KR was at their unveiling and they were outfitted with "20s.

^^^I totally agree, and with the 20" Alcoa's widened, an owner can go all the way out to 325's on the rear as shown below with no rubbing or bumpstop removal. If the 20" Alcoa's were offset further in (like the 18" KR's), widening them would not allow a 12" width and a 325, but instead "maybe" a 305 or a 315 on an 11" or 11.25? I also agree that the 20" wheels do look best and I am especially thankful to Shelby that they chose 20" instead of 18". If the Super Snake would have come with 18" Super Snake Alcoa's, those wheels too would be $1500-$2000 a set (new) instead of $6000-$8000 a set as they currently are, that is for correct original Super Snake engraved. Approx. 4 months ago a set of new 20" Super Snake engraved Alcoa's did sell for $7500, new in boxes. With the overwhelming interest in the 20" Alcoa's, original SHELBY FORGED, then 50 YEARS and the more rare Super Snake engraved, they must be desirable to many, many more owners than the very few who do not like them. Even now it is not uncommon for a nice used set of SHELBY FORGED or 50 YEARS 20" Alcoa's to sell in the $3000-$4000 range.

013_zpsrznssjzl.jpg

^^^^What really changed the handling on the front of my car was getting rid of those noodle 255's and installing the 10" 275 combination on the front, what a difference that made for tire foot print in a turn on a heavy nosed GT500.

R

Edited by Robert M

When I look at a car with oversized wheels, that's all I see - the wheels! I think it detracts from the overall look of the car because your eye focuses on the wheels only. To me the car looks more balanced with the 18's but again, to each his own.

• 3 months later...

When I look at a car with oversized wheels, that's all I see - the wheels! I think it detracts from the overall look of the car because your eye focuses on the wheels only. To me the car looks more balanced with the 18's but again, to each his own.

I think of a tire dealer/owner in Tampa Florida who had TV commercials a few years ago..............His famous statement was, "Tires ain't pretty, but you gotta have um". I agree, tires aren't pretty, the more sidewall there is, the more ugly black tire is viewed when looking at the car...............Tires ain't pretty, but nice wheels are.

And the original Silver/Blue 2008 GT500KR media car.............That was hot!! << It was the look that everyone fell in love with and expected...........and then it changed.............

R

Edited by Robert M

Robert, I remember the first Red / White 500 media car too...the wheels looked more polished and were 19"s.

Then 'it' changed. :(

Edit - Hood was different, and decklid letters were spread out. :whistling:

Chris,

Looks like a deep draw hood similar to the H cars