TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-H Air Conditioning - how good is yours?

Perhaps it's the hood that doesn't allow heat to escape the engine compartment, or the way the cowl is covered by the Hertz hood as well...thing is, after multiple A/C evacuations and refills I just can't seem to get the A/C to work well enough on hot days. I also have the Whipple, which adds considerable heat under the hood. I wanted to check with other owners to see if they have had any issues with the A/C being cold enough. I realize there aren't likely any other people in here running a blower and the stock hood still, so it may be hard to compare experiences.

Thanks,

Troy

Edited by ITHERTZ66

I've replaced every component of my AC except the hard lines. Some more than once. I'm on my 3rd compressor, for example. It was just done again a month ago. Pressure testing for leaks OVER NIGHT and no pressure drop. My system is leak free, full of coolant and has all new dryer, evaporator and compressor. Still, it can't keep my car cool enough for my liking in 85+ degree sunny temps. Max vs normal A/C mode makes no difference. Even on cooler days when most would not dream of running A/C my car gets toasty in the cabin. Luckily, it's very pleasureful to roll down the windows in these cars, but I get no cool air, even when it's relatively cool outside through the dash vents once the engine is fully warmed up.

Edited by ITHERTZ66

Troy, while not the whipple, my Paxton also got warm under the stock hood with no problems with AC. The deep draw hood did not change the performance of the AC, only under hood temp so it may be something other than the AC system.

Is the condenser unobstructed aside from the radiator? Nothing plugging the fins Actually I think the condenser sits in front of radiator so may be moot point

Well, the heat exchanger / intercooler is there, too. I'll check and see if the cotton woods have clogged it up today before heading out to Indy. My temp gauge never swings much past the middle of normal, so I don't think I have an overall cooling problem with the thermostat and radiator. Coolant is fresh as well. I'm still running the Ford stuff, but would consider water wetter if it wasn't for our MN weather. I don't want to risk freezing, and I don't want to change out the coolant 2x/year.

Just put on 1300 miles in some fairly warm/hot weather. Manged to stay comfortable with 2 passengers in the car and AC on MAX, fan 2 or 3. My passenger was cold and kept shutting the vents on his side, so I must have a different tolerance for how cold I like things.