TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keep it stock or not?

cb09

I own a 14 with only about 1k miles on it. I only drive it when the weather is perfect so no sure i want to do any upgrades on it. Thoughts on hurting the value if you do upgrades like mufflers or an x pipe?

Once we start this process, it's like Pandora's box. We always want more. I look back on some of the high-value, collectible cars I've owned and modified. Would I do it again? After 4 years with this car, I'm not so eager to repeat the process. You've got a few things to consider. Are the mods reversible, and how easily? Some things about today's cars, such as tunes, may not be easily reversible. Something to consider when it comes time to sell or even just the periodic smog testing. Also, what is your goal with the modifications. Go faster? We're in pretty good shape with the stock configuration, to say the least. Sound better? That may be worth it, but it is something that will appeal to everyone else? It may or may not matter to you. Economics enter the picture, big time. Would you get the same value or better if you spent it on something else? Just sayin'.

I have a 1700 mile 14 and personally wouldn't want to change a thing about the exhaust. I think they sound great but to each his own. I think as long as the guy wanting to buy your car someday intends to mod it too nothing you do will keep that individual away. However, you are likely excluding those people who don't want a modded car even though the mods are reversible so you are limiting your market pool of potential customers when sale day comes. I personally can't imagine 662 hp not being enough but again just my opinion.

The only mod I did is wider tires, which triggered the necessity of wider wheels, to gain some traction but if I had it to do over I would first have tried just lowering the car an inch in back to throw some more weight on the back. Lowering the rear, coupled with a better tire like Michelin, Toyo or whatever might have been enough, allowing me to stay with my stock SVT wheels which I prefer over anything aftermarket. I just wish I had thought of the lowering thing before spending $1700 on wheels. Might not have worked but it would have been worth a try.

My personal preference was to buy two if I have the means. I have one to keep bone stock and one to modify. I learned long ago that modifying can open a pandora's box like another poster stated. The more I modified, the more I wanted. When I went to sell that car, most people viewed it as a science experiment and wanted no part of it. I dropped well over $80k modifying a car that I sold for less than $20k. I knew when I bought my first 2013, I could not bear to do with it as I had done previously with another car. What is tasteful and worth it to some may not be acceptable to others.

I would do some personal mods to make it unique, but all of them would be easy to change back to stock. I do not drag or beat on my cars, I see absolutely no reason to try to make it more powerful, but adding some sound might be a good idea.

I would probably do Wheels and Exhaust and call it a day. Maybe some interior mods to spice it up a little inside.

It depends on what you want to do with it. I have a 13 and spent $1500 on some pulleys, CAI, SCT X4 tuner had it dyno tuned and I'm at 670 at the wheels. Cheap money to make most cars that want to mess with you on the road gasp for air. A recent trip on the highway made a Challenger SRT 392 never want to mess with a Shelby again ! Tires and rims will always change the look as well. Do the mods for your taste, not others. Most people keep their Shelby stock so the ones that are modified usually are very nice. Keep every stock part you take off for later down the road if you want to return to stock or sell. Good luck.

It depends on what you want to do with it. I have a 13 and spent $1500 on some pulleys, CAI, SCT X4 tuner had it dyno tuned and I'm at 670 at the wheels. Cheap money to make most cars that want to mess with you on the road gasp for air. A recent trip on the highway made a Challenger SRT 392 never want to mess with a Shelby again ! Tires and rims will always change the look as well. Do the mods for your taste, not others. Most people keep their Shelby stock so the ones that are modified usually are very nice. Keep every stock part you take off for later down the road if you want to return to stock or sell. Good luck.

+1 and liked. Exactly. Great job on the Challenger and advice!! :thumbsup:

Like everybody says, to each his own. I had a 2011 and added the VMP pulley and tune. Really made a fast car faster as well as drivability and mpg. When I got my 2014 I was amazed at how much faster it felt stock than my 2011 with the mods. I decide not to do any big mods as the stock car was fast enough. However, I did do the VMP tune only. It make the car easier to drive and got rid of a slight hesitation on acceleration. I'm making 603 rwhp, have better drivability, and recently got 25.2 and 26.1 mpg on two of the tanks of gas during my recent trip to Carlisle for the All-Ford Nationals.

Thanks for the responses and like some have said i might do a couple of small things but nothing extreme.

Has anyone put the X pipe on and left the stock mufflers? I want it a little louder but nothing that would get annoying.

All I did was hood lifts,Michelin ss,and strut brace.gotta do hood lifts.I was at car show stang next to me had the weak prop bar,window blew very hard hood lifted came down on top of prop rod denting hood and fender.

With 1000 miles on it, I think I would just keep it stock. There is no way you are going to enjoy mods driving it so little, so I think I would just leave it the way it is. Value on these things is gonna completely depend on the next GT500, but unmodified with those miles is the best hope for it to hold value. I do not personally believe that he GT350 will hurt the value of these cars long term and it may actually help them.

I find that I end up selling/trading the cars I do not drive. I do not drive in rain when I can help it, but it does get wet. I have had it on a couple of trips and I just love the car, In the end, it is your baby, enjoy it however you most desire.

It's your car do what you want to it. I get as much enjoyment working on mine as I do driving them. It's therapy to me. I couldn't care less if I have someone's approval or not. I do keep all of my stock pieces and if for any reason wanted to sell I could return the car to stock condition pretty easily, as I understand that is what most people are searching for. Many of the Shelby and FRPP accessories that I've used have long been discontinued, so personally I think that makes my car unique.

• 2 weeks later...

Lot's of easy mods that won't affect your warranty and are easily changed back:

Red line No Drill Hood Struts

Ford Performance Resonator Delete

Airaid non oiled Air Filter in Blue or Red

JLT Oil Separator [Pass side].

Front Mud Guards

Lot's of good Axle-back or Cat-back options if you want to change the sound..

Good luck!

As everyone has said "mod it to suit your taste" if you going to keep it forever. If you are looking at it as an investment leave stock as much as possible. I just installed a MGW T6060 Gen II shifter to help in grabbing 2nd gear on real hard accelerations in my 2014 GT500. I have been doing 1/2 mile rolling starts events in the Midwest, experiencing these issues with the car. I have already done numerous mods since 2014; smaller super charge pulley, lower heat range plugs, Borla X-Pipe, Borla CAT back exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake, BAMA Tune to make all work together. I have also added a few cosmetics changes, LED Licenses Plate Lights, HID 5000 LED Fog Lights, Red Line Hood Struts, battery hold down, battery cable covers, and Interior LED lamp lights keeping a stock appearance. It's not a science project by any means, but done tastefully with respect to Carroll Shelby for his development of his favorite car. All the mods were made to help the car do something better or to meet specs for track events I participate in the Midwest.

• 2 weeks later...

Lot's of easy mods that won't affect your warranty and are easily changed back:

Red line No Drill Hood Struts

Ford Performance Resonator Delete

Airaid non oiled Air Filter in Blue or Red

JLT Oil Separator [Pass side].

Front Mud Guards

Lot's of good Axle-back or Cat-back options if you want to change the sound..

Good luck!

Here is the dumb question of the week. What does the resonator delete accomplish. I have done the front mud guards and hood struts. I like keeping mine stock because I like to be reminded this is factory built monster. A tribute to Carrol's vision of a performance car for the average Joe.

Edited by C402

I've upgraded my 2009 to over 650 at the wheels, but throughout the entire process my goal was to never do anything that wasn't easily reversible and I still have 90% of the factory parts. Aside from things like the clutch, and the body parts I painted, everything can be unbolted and put back to stock if I decide to when its time to sell.

So i have decided that I am going to put some exhaust and a X pipe on the car to start with. So many options but down to either Corsa or Borla S type. I think they pretty much sound the same from the videos but anyone have experience with them on our car? I know it has been discussed a lot over this site but that also includes Shelby's from other years so might not be the exact same.

Edited by cb09