TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Indy 500

Shelbyville

101st is now history and it was a great race. One spectacular wreck that I'm sure will be the only thing the major news channels will show of the race. While watching it I wondered why it seems that the official vehicles are pretty much always GM. Does Ford not have an "in" at this event or are they just not interested? Also, any chance Ford will build an engine that could be used in Indy Car?

Ford used to rule Indy. Gave up a long time ago when the series split up because of Tony George. When I saw him give the 'Start Your Engine" announcement, I cringed. Made me sick.

Not sure the series will ever recover from that debacle.

Ford used to rule Indy. Gave up a long time ago when the series split up because of Tony George. When I saw him give the 'Start Your Engine" announcement, I cringed. Made me sick.

Not sure the series will ever recover from that debacle.

If it wasn't for Tony George, there wouldn't be a Brickyard 400 in NASCAR at Indy.

If it wasn't for Tony George, there wouldn't be a Brickyard 400 in NASCAR at Indy.

All the more reason to dislike Tony George....

Yes, it would be good to see more engine manufacturers involved with Indy. Ford would be an excellent competitor if they wished to participate. The race was a good one and I'm not a big fan of any oval racing. Was disappointed that Alonso's Honda failed him with only 25 laps to go. My first thought was, "well.... Alonso is used to Honda power plants failing". He had a great race and brought a lot of international attention to the race. All good for Indy. Maybe this will inspire more engine manufacturers to get involved in the future.

Ford has stated recently that it has no plans to return to IndyCar racing. If they did, I would certainly return as a fan.

That doesn't make sense.

Let me spell it out for you: N A S C A R B L O W S. Anyway, this thread is about the Indy 500. Why you would bring up NASCAR doesn't make any sense.

:lurk:

Was a great race. Many lead changes, fantastic driving and of course the big wreck.

Sure beat the heck out of the F1 race at Monaco, where there were zero lead changes, no wait there might have been one. :whistling:

That wreck was scary stuff for sure. As I mentioned previously, I'm not a big fan of any oval racing, but it is hard not to like the Indy 500 with average speeds over 230mph. Alonso commented on his first day of practice that his brain and right foot were not in agreement. Brain said "foot down" and right foot said "NO". Gotta trust the downforce and mechanical grip more than any other type of race car at those speeds.

Off topic - Monaco was a good race. Not a great race, but a good one. Haas F1 got both their cars in the top 10 for the first time ever and Hamilton worked his way through the field and made up lots of positions and the attrition was high. No one had an answer for Ferrari although I would have like to see Kimi on the podium. It is nice to see someone beating Mercedes.

Back on topic - I think Indy would be much better with at least 4-5 engine manufacturers. It is an international field of drivers so let's bring in international engine developers as well. How about Ford, Chevy, Honda, BMW, Mazda? All have great racing pedigrees.

Let me spell it out for you: N A S C A R B L O W S. Anyway, this thread is about the Indy 500. Why you would bring up NASCAR doesn't make any sense.

Now that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. You actually think open wheel racing is more exciting than NASCAR racing??

Now that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. You actually think open wheel racing is more exciting than NASCAR racing??

Yeah... Vipor favors tea and crumpets. :poke:

Not a beer and burger NASCAR fan. But to each their own. :hat_tip:

Last Shelby connection was the Series 1 and the Aurora engine from Oldsmobile. Used to love hearing the cranking Offenhauser power toys. Interesting, if not weird, having the digital timers for the pit stops on the sides of the cars.

Edited by 66GT350PS

Yeah... Vipor favors tea and crumpets. :poke:

Not a beer and burger NASCAR fan. But to each their own. :hat_tip:

Correction... I'm a craft beer and custom burger guy! :skateboard:

Having grown up in NASCAR country and driving one on track, I find it rather boring. The only time it gets interesting is when they head to the road courses. I feel the same way about INDY for the most part, although the INDY 500 is definitely a great race.

Tony George starting the race was terrible-he is the big reason for the CART split which started the decline of the Indy 500.

Did you see the empty seats on Sunday?

Not too long ago a ticket to the 500 was one of the hardest sporting event ticket to secure; not anymore.

Hopefully time will bring the fans and prestige back to the 500.

The Brickyard 400 hasn't made money in years.

Looking forward to the Shelby convention with classics and new Shelbys of all types running the Brickyard road course and part of the straights. Indy has always been on my bucket list to check and doing it at a Shelby automotive event makes it sweeter. I also like the Charlotte Motor Speedway (okay, Lowes to the purists) as I attended and ran on that track for four Shelby conventions. The banking is scary the first few times. But then you remember the instructions to stay above 80 mph or go below the yellow line.

As far as the different types of auto racing (F1, quarter mile, NASCAR, Indy series, etc.) I enjoy them all without comparison. Trying to compare them is like comparing different sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc. All are good in their own design. :cool:

As a young'n, I couldn't wait till May...sat (laid) in front of the Zenith console and watched every second (Commercials be damned!!)

Today, I seriously cannot remember the last time I even remembered it was Race Day. :shrug::(

I've been thinking about this post. EXACT same story for baseball for me. Same Zenith console. :whistling: After the strike, I was done.

:backtotopic: