TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking to buy another GT500. Tips on 09's???

Hi there! Traded in my 2007 about two years ago. Been driving a German sports car. Am looking to come back to the fold. Have my eye on an 09 vert. What do I need to remember? Questions to ask? Ad is below. This is in Canada in $cad. Price in USD is 29,750.

Gregg

Saw this 2009 Ford Mustang on autoTRADER.ca's iPad app

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/AdDetailInfo.aspx?srcID=5&frnID=30525956

Hi there! Traded in my 2007 about two years ago. Been driving a German sports car. Am looking to come back to the fold. Have my eye on an 09 vert. What do I need to remember? Questions to ask? Ad is below. This is in Canada in $cad. Price in USD is 29,750.

Gregg

Saw this 2009 Ford Mustang on autoTRADER.ca's iPad app

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/AdDetailInfo.aspx?srcID=5&frnID=30525956

Check to see if the clutch has done & when.

Is there any reason you're limiting your search to 09? The reality is that the 13 and 14 cars were not only the last but the best. By that time Ford had just about nailed all that the car could be power wise, and also delivered an almost fault free car. Yes, it will cost you more because of the shift in the depreciation cycle, but if you look there you won't be asking questions about clutches and all the other stuff.

Edited by twobjshelbys

The 2009 Shelby GT500 was my car. I traded it in this past February to Ogilvie Motors in Ottawa.

It has just over 38000KM and is the most clean car I have had at trade in.

Reason for trade was that I am getting a bit older and reaction time is not was it was and 540HP sometimes got out of hand.

Couple of known problems with the car are minor, I believe.

There is some pocketing on at least one of the front tires following a wheel alignment. I was told that driving for a few hundred kilometres would fix it, but never got the chance as I traded it instead.

One of the front tires is losing air over a period of, say a month.

The dealer was made known of these two issues and whether they did anything about them is unknown.

Their current asking price is not far off what I got as a trade.

I have a 2009 GT500 Vert, they are great cars and reasonably priced at the point that they will not depreciate much more if you keep it in good condition. Like others mentioned, only real thing to verify is clutch, easy fix if not updated but have to factor it in when determining price, mine was replaced by dealer under warranty. There is also a recall on airbags what will be address by dealer for free.

They respond very well to both minor and major mods and lots of options to tweak it to exactly how you want it. Good luck with purchase.

I had a complete safety check done about a year ago and one of my concerns was the clutch. My extended warranty was due to run out the following Spring and that is the reason I had a complete safety check performed. I had been hearing stories about problems.

The report I received back from the dealer, (yeah, I know), was the clutch was fine. That report and all others maintenance, upgrades, modifications paperwork was provided to the dealer when I traded it in so all those reports should be part of any deal.

Edited by rexrowsell

This is interesting to me. I got a dealer to send me the window sticker on the black 2008. It is attached. There are a couple of question I have from this.

First is that the pics show the car has no hood or trunk stripes. I know there was stripe delete, but that isn't on the window sticker, it seems to indicate that the car had white stripes. Am I reading that right?

Also, the window sticker shows "bright machined" rims. Does that mean aluminum colour? the rims appear to be stock rims, but they are black. Thoughts??

The car was imported from the US to Canada and I have been able to verify that was done correctly.

The Carproof he gave me is three years old, I will need to get an updated one of course.

All thoughts and advise would be appreciated.

GREGG

windowsticker.pdf

Over the top stripes were not available on convertibles. The wheels were either painted or powdercoated black or new wheels installed.

Edit: The car had side stripes unless it is a stripe delete car.

Edited by Secondo

. I know there was stripe delete, but that isn't on the window sticker, it seems to indicate that the car had white stripes. Am I reading that right?

Yes you are reading that right, the car had white rocker stripes that someone has removed.

Also, the window sticker shows "bright machined" rims. Does that mean aluminum colour? the rims appear to be stock rims, but they are black. Thoughts??

It appears someone has painted/powder coated the wheels all black.

According to Ford both airbag recalls have not been performed on this car.

Seller states car has been lowered and has more than 500hp so you might want to inquire about those modifications.

Steve

Seller states car has been lowered and has more than 500hp so you might want to inquire about those modifications.

As Steve says, you need to get info on this. If this car has been modified for HP then it is likely it was done with a tuner or a pulley/tune. It is IMPERATIVE that you also get the tuner box (SCT or other) that has the new and original factory tune on it. The tuner is locked to that car. You should get details of what the tune did, e.g if any intake path changes, e.g., throttle body. sometimes parts of the emissions systems will be "disabled" to avoid throwing check engine codes that aren't real because the tuner doesn't know how to make the "other side" changes. Don't ask me how I know this.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Yes you are reading that right, the car had white rocker stripes that someone has removed.

It appears someone has painted/powder coated the wheels all black.

According to Ford both airbag recalls have not been performed on this car.

Steve

The seller won`t be able to sell it until the drivers side air bag has been done.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

I talked to him about the comment about it being lowered. Asked if he had the oem parts. He seemed confused, then said he just thought it was lower than a regular stang by Shelby. I get the impression he's not a big car guy.

If I wanted to I could buy and reinstall the white side stripes right?

Could I also get the rims restored if I chose too?

About the over 500 hp comment, 08's were advertised as having 500 so it could be simply a slip of the tongue. He insists no mods have been done to his knowledge.

Shelby001, how would he be stopped from selling it here in Ontario? I haven't purchased or sold a car privately in years.

I'm going to see and drive the car tomorrow. I should learn a lot then. Price looks a bit too good to be true in my opinion.

Just called the seller. He took the stripes off. He is selling it as is. He just showed it to someone who said they are coming back tomorrow to buy it. Decided not to go. If he doesn't sell it tomorrow I may go later in the week. Again, thanks for all the help folks.

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...