TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I counted 30 of the 2016 GT-H's for sale.

I wanted to share my buying experience with everyone. I was in a quandary as my 2007 convertible is #79. 2016 #79 is available, as stated above. I couldn't bring myself to buy that car with the horrible repair work done to it. I wanted an accident free and complete (all Hertz GTH parts there) car. I had narrowed my search down to a top 5. All of them were in California. I am in Virginia, so I was going to have to add in transportation fees, or airline tickets to get it. I found car #54 in Winston Salem, NC which is drive-able from where we are. Car #54 was missing the winglets and the floor mats, which scared me, since I had been reading they were no longer available. I called Jeremy at Shelby and asked if these parts were available if I purchased this car and he advised yes they were. The car was accident free, so we took the plunge.

We purchased Car #54 with this in mind. I was able to negotiate the price of the car by advising Hertz of the missing parts and how much they cost. My wife and I drove to Winston Salem and picked up the car. I was able to order the parts I needed from Jeremy and am in the process of getting the car put back to complete.

My advice is to find the best car for what you want. I read the dealer in Arizona wouldn't budge on the price for #79, which is a shame for a car that needs stripes and a grille.

We are very happy with our purchase and finally took it to our local cars and coffee this morning.

Ken

5 hours ago, cougarss428 said:

I wanted to share my buying experience with everyone. I was in a quandary as my 2007 convertible is #79. 2016 #79 is available, as stated above. I couldn't bring myself to buy that car with the horrible repair work done to it. I wanted an accident free and complete (all Hertz GTH parts there) car. I had narrowed my search down to a top 5. All of them were in California. I am in Virginia, so I was going to have to add in transportation fees, or airline tickets to get it. I found car #54 in Winston Salem, NC which is drive-able from where we are. Car #54 was missing the winglets and the floor mats, which scared me, since I had been reading they were no longer available. I called Jeremy at Shelby and asked if these parts were available if I purchased this car and he advised yes they were. The car was accident free, so we took the plunge.

We purchased Car #54 with this in mind. I was able to negotiate the price of the car by advising Hertz of the missing parts and how much they cost. My wife and I drove to Winston Salem and picked up the car. I was able to order the parts I needed from Jeremy and am in the process of getting the car put back to complete.

My advice is to find the best car for what you want. I read the dealer in Arizona wouldn't budge on the price for #79, which is a shame for a car that needs stripes and a grille.

We are very happy with our purchase and finally took it to our local cars and coffee this morning.

Ken

Ken.......once again, congratulations. Looks as though you may have gotten the last GTH from Hertz available on the east coast. The dozen or so cars Hertz has left for sale are in California, plus 1 each in New Mexico, Texas and Arizona.   

Edited by HERTZ II

16 hours ago, cougarss428 said:

Ken

Good story Ken! Congratulations with #54!

Brent

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, mhr1961 said:

Its all good, have a nice day.

I still think these cars wont sell well until they hit a $37k to $39k price point and if Hertz keeps futzing around they will be at that point in 4 to six months.

My Crystal Ball Price prediction was correct........it is now six months later……..the last few 2016 Shelby GT-H Hertz cars left are now selling for sub $40K…………..get your blue light special here……..only $38,900………..

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certified/Ford/2016-Ford-Mustang-7c45a9150a0e0a170ad749954585cb28.htm

7 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

My Crystal Ball Price prediction was correct........it is now six months later……..the last few 2016 Shelby GT-H Hertz cars left are now selling for sub $40K…………..get your blue light special here……..only $38,900………..

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certified/Ford/2016-Ford-Mustang-7c45a9150a0e0a170ad749954585cb28.htm

Crazy, didn't they start at like $150K or something like that?  The sad part is they had to pay for the overhead this entire time and I bet if they priced them at $49K off the bat they all would've sold in a month or so.

Here is the sad part now that the New Mustang has been upgraded so much I think it is still overpriced, it has 34K of beat on miles on it.  I would buy the New GT in my choice of color and options with no beat on miles for a little more, the transmission alone is worth the price difference.

Edited by carnut12

3 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

I stopped watching 6 or 7 months ago.  Kinda lost interest.  Would still like to get one in the future but for now I'm looking at other car options.

QSS

No need to be in a hurry, there are going to be some of these 2016 GT-H's for sale between $25 k to $28k in the regular car market within the next year or two. 

22 minutes ago, mhr1961 said:

No need to be in a hurry, there are going to be some of these 2016 GT-H's for sale between $25 k to $28k in the regular car market within the next year or two. 

I highly doubt that.  It took 10 years to see the 06-07’s hit that price.

If you are right, I’ll have one in the garage.

Most of the 2016 Shelby GT H left from Hertz have high miles plus some have been in accidents. I have a 2006 Shelby GT H {which I really like} but there is no comparison to my 2016 Shelby GT H. The 2016 is awesome!!! But I also like all Shelby's...You can never go wrong with a Shelby.

GT-H fans, there was no disrespect meant. Some people got defensive when I stated several months ago that the way Hertz was going about selling these 2016 GT-H’s by backing in to a market price was going to drive the prices down. Back in March when I posted that in the next six months these cars were going to be selling for $37 to 39k , some people got offended. The way Hertz went about selling the 2016’s helped drive the price from  a ridiculous $150k down to $38.9k within about 18 months . They are going to keep dropping in the open market. Trying to compare depreciation rates to the 2006/7 Hertz cars is fallacious logic. The 2006/7 were hugely popular and helped kick off the modern Shelby craze.  For the 2016 GT-H, there was nothing trend setting about them, there was barely any media buzz about them, they weren’t that popular in the rental fleet, and they really didn’t have any historical significance and it has taken almost 18 months for Hertz to dump them. Again, no disrespect meant, they are nice cars ………I stand by my comments …we can revisit the topic in a couple of years and see if I am right…...again!.....

Phyllis, define high miles……The average rental car usually gets about 2400 to 2600 miles per month logged on it. The cars are typically in a rental fleet for 18 to 24 months and are usually run up to 35,000 to 50,000 miles. Then they are dumped.  Many 2016 GT-H’s only had  12,000 to 14,000 miles on  them and those barely sold even at $42k . The ones that are left do have some higher miles but not higher than normal ……….the biggest factor that hurt market prices was Hertz’s club fisted way of dumping these cars.

I can identity with your dislike/frustration with Hertz but Phyllis is correct and you’re not taking into account the shape of the vehicles that went sub 40.

The last 20 all had money spent on repairs and many had a marked carfax.  NONE of the clean cars made it to 40.

we could debate all day and I’m not defending them in any way (that’s where we agree) but I’m of the mindset there will always be 150-200 people that want the cars so they will reach a bottom like the 06-07 (even if they didn’t reenergize the brand)

9 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

GT-H fans, there was no disrespect meant. Some people got defensive when I stated several months ago that the way Hertz was going about selling these 2016 GT-H’s by backing in to a market price was going to drive the prices down. Back in March when I posted that in the next six months these cars were going to be selling for $37 to 39k , some people got offended. The way Hertz went about selling the 2016’s helped drive the price from  a ridiculous $150k down to $38.9k within about 18 months . They are going to keep dropping in the open market. Trying to compare depreciation rates to the 2006/7 Hertz cars is fallacious logic. The 2006/7 were hugely popular and helped kick off the modern Shelby craze.  For the 2016 GT-H, there was nothing trend setting about them, there was barely any media buzz about them, they weren’t that popular in the rental fleet, and they really didn’t have any historical significance and it has taken almost 18 months for Hertz to dump them. Again, no disrespect meant, they are nice cars ………I stand by my comments …we can revisit the topic in a couple of years and see if I am right…...again!.....

Phyllis, define high miles……The average rental car usually gets about 2400 to 2600 miles per month logged on it. The cars are typically in a rental fleet for 18 to 24 months and are usually run up to 35,000 to 50,000 miles. Then they are dumped.  Many 2016 GT-H’s only had  12,000 to 14,000 miles on  them and those barely sold even at $42k . The ones that are left do have some higher miles but not higher than normal ……….the biggest factor that hurt market prices was Hertz’s club fisted way of dumping these cars.

What if you are wrong?  Will you be posting on here to tell us about that?

17 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

The way Hertz went about selling the 2016’s helped drive the price from  a ridiculous $150k down to $38.9k within about 18 months . They are going to keep dropping in the open market. Trying to compare depreciation rates to the 2006/7 Hertz cars is fallacious logic. The 2006/7 were hugely popular and helped kick off the modern Shelby craze.  For the 2016 GT-H, there was nothing trend setting about them, there was barely any media buzz about them, they weren’t that popular in the rental fleet, and they really didn’t have any historical significance and it has taken almost 18 months for Hertz to dump them. 

……….the biggest factor that hurt market prices was Hertz’s club fisted way of dumping these cars.

I share your assessment on how this all developed.  I think Hertz really blew it.

QSS

2 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

Funny :lol:

QSS

Thanks QSS, I'm not bashing Hertz. I like them and use Hertz almost exclusively when I rent cars, however it has been hard to overlook that they chose such a bone headed way of selling the 2016 GT-H's. There is no doubt it hurt the value of them.

Well I think there is something special about the 16 GT-H and if there will only ever be 171 of us that appreciate it, then that is what it is. If nothing else, the 50th Anniversary and the most HP that that made it's way into the Shelby Hertz rental fleet set these apart. The 06/07 body style (which I like a lot) was still retro. I rented #135 06 and loved that experience. The 16 is modern styling, leaving retro behind. To be honest, I did not care much for the current body style until I spotted the GT-H. The 16 GT-H treatment brought out the beast in that car. I just didn't see it before. Now I can't stop looking at it.

I agree that Hertz employed poor marketing in unloading the cars. But secondary market determines the value over time and we are no where near that time yet to determine what the market value of these cars will be. Respectfully, I don't see these dropping into the $20's. 

As far as the last dozen left, they are said to be bottom of the barrel cars. I find it very difficult to accept a blank statement that 16 GT-H's are valued at $38K now,  based upon the last of a poor marketing campaign. With these cars, it is all about condition, condition and condition.  And then condition.

Hertz has them priced at in the $38-39K range, but many of the non-Hertz cars for sale are above that.

We need to get these last 12 out of the way. And depending on condition, we may see them re-appear again. 

I am guessing most of us will be die hard owners, and the supply on the market will not be that great. 

On another note, there seems to be about 5% of the 06/07's for sale at any given time. So, if 5% is the norm, then once the 16's are all off the market, we could see 8=9 cars for sale at any time. I would guess lower.

I remember posting a while back that I thought the 16 GT-H's would sell out December 2018. We will see!

Good discussion with differences of opinion. Time will tell. Frankly, I don't care much - I doubt you will ever see my #130 up for sale. When I am gone, my son wont sell it either. 

If you are reading this and a long term owner, read my post about the Engine ECM - once I write it up. Brent

Edited by blz57
added more opinion

• 4 weeks later...

Bwahahahahahaahha!

I just called about this one: https://www.valleyfordtruckinc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2016-Ford-Mustang-GT_Premium-Cleveland-OH/3169166683
I was wondering how and why they were asking over $80,000 for it when it appears to be one that was rented (over 20k miles), auto, etc. Nothing special right? It belongs to the owner of this commercial truck dealership and apparently he thinks it's worth a whole lot more than it really is. This is higher than the 2 Vantage Motors still has that were never rented. 

People are crazy.

19 hours ago, 06H014 said:

Bwahahahahahaahha!

I just called about this one: https://www.valleyfordtruckinc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2016-Ford-Mustang-GT_Premium-Cleveland-OH/3169166683
I was wondering how and why they were asking over $80,000 for it when it appears to be one that was rented (over 20k miles), auto, etc. Nothing special right? It belongs to the owner of this commercial truck dealership and apparently he thinks it's worth a whole lot more than it really is. This is higher than the 2 Vantage Motors still has that were never rented. 

People are crazy.

To your point of "asking over $80,000"..........I've monitored this car since Valley Ford listed it back in April. They've RAISED...yes RAISED THE PRICE 3 TIMES since listing. And folks think Hertz had a strange marketing strategy with the GT-Hs.    lol   

Edited by HERTZ II

I'm sure they will eventually sell. They just gotta keep dropping the price and they'll get em sold.  

For me, I just don't care anymore.  Hertz lost my interest 9 months ago.  The only car that really interests me at this point is jnhrvy's supercharged executive car.

QSS

I'm sure they will eventually sell. They just gotta keep dropping the price and they'll get em sold.  

For me, I just don't care anymore.  Hertz lost my interest 9 months ago.  The only car that really interests me at this point is jnhrvy's supercharged executive car.

QSS

Here ya go..........

https://www.teamshelby.com/topic/78992-06-07-16-gt-hs-currently-for-sale-on-various-websites-updated-102318/

Edited by HERTZ II

11 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

QSS

jnhrvy's car is at Vantage(Don) now.

2016 Ford Shelby GT-H CSM 12 1 of Only 16 Supercharged w/ 6 Speed 670 HP

dC0OhKkqTW221Av3chv8uw-542x404.jpeg

$150k............... too bad.  I don't think 1,336 miles, a 6 spd and a supercharger justifies a $100k premium.   I suppose I shall consider other car options again.  I'll throw my application in for a NFGT on November 8th, ya never know, I might get lucky.  

QSS

Edited by QuickSilverShelby

9 minutes ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

$150k............... too bad.  I don't think 1,336 miles, a 6 spd and a supercharger justifies a $100k premium.   I suppose I shall consider other car options again.  I'll throw my application in for a NFGT on November 8th, ya never know, I might get lucky.  

QSS

Yep, it’s posted on Vantage Sports cars for sale. Don has sold about 8 of the 16 so he has a pretty good grip on the market. As with most collected cars the posted price is a starting point. We’ll see what kind of fair offers come in to see where it lands.  As you know this was a painful decision but I would have more fun at this point in my life with something I can modify and not worry about. I’ll probably regret it someday. 

26 minutes ago, jnhrvy said:

Yep, it’s posted on Vantage Sports cars for sale. Don has sold about 8 of the 16 so he has a pretty good grip on the market. As with most collected cars the posted price is a starting point. We’ll see what kind of fair offers come in to see where it lands.  As you know this was a painful decision but I would have more fun at this point in my life with something I can modify and not worry about. I’ll probably regret it someday. 

Don is awesome and a good guy. He knows his stuff on the Shelby GT H cars. I bought my 2016 Shelby GT H from Don.  I would definitely buy from him again. 

QSS

If you have trouble coughing up 150K for this, wait until the NFGT price hits you.  My local dealer contact just said one of his customers placed an order and it was $650K and it wasn't even one of the special ones.  A 2019 Heritage (the 2019/2020 Heritage are the Gulf colors) was over 700K.  And they now have an enforceable means to prevent sales - Ford Credit holds a 2 year lien. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

8 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

If you have trouble coughing up 150K for this, wait until the NFGT price hits you.  My local dealer contact just said one of his customers placed an order and it was $650K and it wasn't even one of the special ones.  A 2019 Heritage (the 2019/2020 Heritage are the Gulf colors) was over 700K.  And they now have an enforceable means to prevent sales - Ford Credit holds a 2 year lien. 

at least Ford managed to sell these NFGT's in a way that stopped people from complaining about those unfair ADM's...........here is your new MSRP.

Edited by mhr1961