TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which Ceramic Brake for '09 GT500KR?

Bruce2009KR

I have a track day coming up and at the advice of many I will change to high quality Motul 600 fluid and I have that but wanted to try the Autozone Ceramic pads many are suggesting but I believe the KR gets different brakes than a standard '09 GT500. True? As the brakes (front only??) are Brembo.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm running out of time! And if not Autozone, I'm open for suggestions for low dust pads for the KR.

Thanks!

I have a track day coming up and at the advice of many I will change to high quality Motul 600 fluid and I have that but wanted to try the Autozone Ceramic pads many are suggesting but I believe the KR gets different brakes than a standard '09 GT500. True? As the brakes (front only??) are Brembo.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm running out of time! And if not Autozone, I'm open for suggestions for low dust pads for the KR.

Thanks!

KR brakes are the same as the GT500. Personally I'm not sure I'd run Autozone branded brake pads on the track unless I had proof they were a reboxed big name manufacturers pads.

Steve

The AutoZone ceramic pads are very good for the street to minimize dust. I tried them on a limited track day but they overheated quickly and cracked -- not good.

Took back to AutoZone and they honored the lifetime warranty and gave me a new set (which I now only use on the street). Have Hawk pads for the track. Effective track pads are going to leave a lot of dust. Get used to it.

Edited by The Chairman

I've run AutoZone ceramics on a short track as a beginner and they fade very quickly. Great for low dust and no noise (street driving), but not good under HPDE conditions when temps get too hot.

Carbotech, Hawk, Porterfield and PFC are all well known manufactures of high performance pads.

If you are a beginner with HDPE, you may be able to get away with a hybrid pad (Hawk Street/Race, HP+ or HPS). But typically, you will be trading dust\noise for better stopping power, especially under high temps.

Once you get conformable driving at higher speeds and pushing the car, you will want to a dedicated pad for HPDE and swap it out prior to the track day. I run Carbotech XP10 up front on track days and love them. They take all the abuse I can throw at them and never fade...but they dust like crazy and squeal when cold, so I don't run them on the street.

Edited by barspen