TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear End Noise - Bad Bearings? or NORMAL ?

2010 Shelby GT500 (23,500 miles)

Can anyone confirm this is Normal....While rear seats are laid flat. (Down) I'm sure this happens all the time, But this is how I started to notice the "Problem"

While accelerating, I hear a noise that resembles Static - or two pieces of metal rubbing slightly together creating a constant Shhhhhh sound. When the accelerator is let off into coasting in gear, the noise will fluctuate for a second or two, then continue. When Clutch is depressed noise disappears. There isn't any loud clunking going on, just this.

I brought this to the Ford Dealership Service Department - Mechanic there informed me this is normal gear noise in the Mustangs since there isn't any dampening materials.

Please HELP with your experiences and knowledge.

Thanks!

Edited by PghFANATIC

Do you notice it when the seats are in their normal upright position? There will be some noise but not excessive or annoying. Driving with the rear seats down is like putting your ear on a glass on a wall to hear through it, it magnifies the road and car noise.

Edited by Secondo

No - I do not hear this when the seat are up - or the radio is on for that matter. But - it is still there and concerned that this isn't a "normal" operation of the car.

It just doesn't seem right and it shouldn't be "Mustang Specific" like the Mechanic suggested.

Can you see if you have the same "noise"? by trying to duplicate - (put your seats down and listen) Static sound, scratching or rubbing of two objects. Goes away when clutch is pressed in.

Thanks!

Edited by PghFANATIC

You do know this is a Mustang, right? Part of its muscle car charm are the various creaks, moans, groans it makes. The clutch in my '09 GT500 is the noisiest clutch I've ever had.

What you've described sounds perfectly normal to me. Go drive your car & enjoy it.

Lee

If it gets louder or changes when you are turning then be worried. I had a carrier bearing go on mine last year. I changed both outer axle bearings and the noise was still there. Didn't know I needed to use a pry bar on the ring gear to check the carrier bearings otherwise I might not have gotten stuck in the middle of the freeway 2,000 miles from home. First car I've had or known of where the carrier bearings went. It's quiet now.

If the trailing arms have been changed out with either solid or poly bushings, there will be a lot more NVH coming into the cabin. I noticed it right away when I changed mine to poly bushings. People I know say the solid end links drive them crazy with whine.