TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RASP and DRONE!!! Help Borla SS Axle back, LT Kooks

Mlpugh

Gambled and ended up with annoyance.... (was trying to get close to 2013 supersnake sounding exhaust)

GT500 691RWHP on pump.. Pulley 2.4/Throttle body 65mm, JLT cold air/ Tune

Ok so I made the jump and put in KOOKS LT headers, KOOKS 3inch H-pipe (no cats), Borla SS axle back..

Loud, heavy and throaty before you get past 2500 RPM, then Loud RASP!!! Drone at 1800 RPM in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th... Awful combo choice

Have about 200 miles on it since I had the work done.

Is it fixable? Or am I just screwed! From reading it looks like it's better to loose the warp speed and go back to stock.

My shop wants to put kooks 14 resonators to kill rasp and drone by 30 to 40 percent... Is that my best option?

Borla is sending me venturi's and say they will minus drone.. Should I just do those?

Or should I do both?

Have a day to decide.. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Hopefully the experts will weigh in for you. May have to post at another forum to get answers quickly. I can only tell you from what I have read and can remember. P.S. I am old so memory and that. When you go headers and no cats, some combos get raspy and drone. Not saying all, but some do.

I have read many recommendations that to kill the drone and rasp is to put the factory mufflers back on. It will sound awesome and remove your problems. Still, firsthand knowledge will be better for you than what I can relate to you. Good luck.

Appreciate the advice.. Happy I didn't sell the factory mufflers! It looks like that is the route I will need to choose.. Trying the Venturi that Borla sent me in the next couple of days.. Hope it will do the trick

Thanks for your reply

Best

Yes, I was looking at the green cats by kooks. Was suggested to go with the kooks resonators by the shop. They said the resonators are a much better option.

Have been told now to throw in the kooks X pipe and 3 inch flow to the axle back,,. finished with the 3inch kooks racing muffler. Haven't even seen a gt500 with that setup.

Lol trust me I didn't sleep good..

i have a 2010 gt 500 ,i think we all have tried to make the correct choice so we don't get that drone, the rasp i am not sure of, i have ford racing shorty ceramic coated headers which they don't make anymore,the point i am trying to make is with my headers i had more choices of the mid pipe with in my opinion is a big difference in the drone at least,i have brothers polished mid pipe with high flow cats , with kooks and american racing long tube headers you have to use there set up (mid pipe) and not sure what exhaust you have to use. i started with magnaflow exhaust,i had no sound, i now have corsa which i finally have the sound i wanted, i tried a few different ways to get the sound i wanted ,like you it can get costly to find the right combo, but i have no drone in any gear,like i said before as far as the rasp i don't know where that is coming from,i hope you find the right combo good luck , i would say start with the mid pipe but i think your choices are limited because of the long tubes, just my opinion i could be wrong but i have seen a lot of people on this web site looking for ford racing shorty headers not sure if they have the same problem as you , i don't know if u can change your mid pipe but i would try,good luck

i have a 2010 gt 500 ,i think we all have tried to make the correct choice so we don't get that drone, the rasp i am not sure of, i have ford racing shorty ceramic coated headers which they don't make anymore,the point i am trying to make is with my headers i had more choices of the mid pipe with in my opinion is a big difference in the drone at least,i have brothers polished mid pipe with high flow cats , with kooks and american racing long tube headers you have to use there set up (mid pipe) and not sure what exhaust you have to use. i started with magnaflow exhaust,i had no sound, i now have corsa which i finally have the sound i wanted, i tried a few different ways to get the sound i wanted ,like you it can get costly to find the right combo, but i have no drone in any gear,like i said before as far as the rasp i don't know where that is coming from,i hope you find the right combo good luck , i would say start with the mid pipe but i think your choices are limited because of the long tubes, just my opinion i could be wrong but i have seen a lot of people on this web site looking for ford racing shorty headers not sure if they have the same problem as you , i don't know if u can change your mid pipe but i would try,good luck

Advice much appreciated! I have the Kooks H-pipe that goes with the Kooks LT headers.. Thinking about trying the X pipe and going 3' all the way through. I'm 3' then after H-pipe, 2'75 with the SS borla axle back. I went to Shelby in Vegas to talk to Vince. He designed the SS borla axle back. Unfortunately he was not in. Hopefully he will have good advice. I know they use that axle back and LT headers on the 2014 1000. Looking forward to hearing his suggestions. I will keep you guys updated

Note: just in the case of anyone looking to throw resonators in.. In doing so I created a much stronger exhaust smell in the car and trunk.. Definitely keep that in mind that it is a possibility.

Note: just in the case of anyone looking to throw resonators in.. In doing so I created a much stronger exhaust smell in the car and trunk.. Definitely keep that in mind that it is a possibility.

I don’t see how resonators would increase the exhaust smell in your car unless there is a leak ,or perhaps you were smelling the manufacturing oils/lubricants that burn off after the system heats up a few times.

I've had multiple setups on my SGT with LT's. CATS/Resonators will only dampen the drone. The Borla S types are good mufflers but they are notorious for drone. Options that will kill the drone are Borla ATAK's, Borla Touring, KR mufflers, Basani's race mufflers (my current choice). The smell is from not running Cats, resonators won't get rid of it. I only run without my cats on track days. I've run MAC's, FRP GTA's, Borla S type, Borla Touring, Borla ATAK's, FRP KR's, SVE's, Magna Flow Race mufflers (sound great drone horribly) and now the Basani's sound great and zero drone. Hope this helps

Borla ATAK's

https://youtu.be/ZxyR_PgF-2g

Borla ATAK's on the gas

https://youtu.be/ab6icb_bkIw

Basani's LT's off road x

https://youtu.be/7L5NAanaSMQ

Archived