TEAM SHELBY FORUM

California Jelly Blade for Drying Shelby GT350

Fstanbrough

A squeegee on paint? If there is anything, I repeat, Anything, left behind then this will just drag it in the paint. Maybe some colors won't show them, but if you've got a dark color (not just black) the microscratches will show after a few washings and you'll eventually need a polishing. Similarly, I no longer use the California Duster for exactly the same reason.

My washing/drying regimen is wash, rinse, then wipe off remaining water with microfiber towel. Then, immediately before it gets a chance to dry, remove the remaining water and the streaks with a second (mostly dry) microfiber towel. No streaks left behind.

Edited by twobjshelbys

My washing/drying regimen is wash, rinse, then wipe off remaining water with microfiber towel. Then, immediately before it gets a chance to dry, remove the remaining water and the streaks with a second (mostly dry) microfiber towel. No streaks left behind.

My added step: use the leaf blower to flush out those annoying drips before they have a chance to mar a perfectly-dried car.

My added step: use the leaf blower to flush out those annoying drips before they have a chance to mar a perfectly-dried car.

Urika! Why didn't I think of that? I usually use the air hose at the car wash on my daily driver before they wipe it down. I hand wash the Shelby and always have to dry around the mirrors and rear bumper three or four times. This solves the problem, still can't believe I didn't think of this. Thanks

DeWalt makes a similar 20V Battery blower. You can buy the charger, battery and blower for $199.00, or if you already have a DeWalt Charger and 20v battery you can buy the bare blower for $79.00. Available at Home Depot and Lowes, Amazon and dozens of other online retailers of Dewalt tools. Works great for blowing off the car and also blowing out the garage and blowing leaves off the deck.

This has been a lifesaver on both the Shelby and Raptor. The nozzle is soft rubber and it is very compact.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Mark

I have the same type of mini blower only mine is electric. Bought it at a Harley dealer and it works great on motorcycles. I'm sure it would also work great on a car. This small blower has some power and blows big time.

Edited by springer

A squeegee on paint? If there is anything, I repeat, Anything, left behind then this will just drag it in the paint. Maybe some colors won't show them, but if you've got a dark color (not just black) the microscratches will show after a few washings and you'll eventually need a polishing. Similarly, I no longer use the California Duster for exactly the same reason.

I don't see a difference here..........both would be dragging the same stuff left behind across your Paint.

I don't see a difference here..........both would be dragging the same stuff left behind across your Paint.

The difference is that the car is wet. Wiping water with a soft absorbant surface instead of dragging it with a hard surface.

Edited by twobjshelbys

As a professional detailer, that is the kiss of death !! NO blades scratching across paint and please NO California dusters either !! Use a Master Blaster or IF you have to, a leaf blower. It amazes me how people send $40,50, 60 thousand on a car and use crap to take car of it. Oh well, it keeps the money coming in.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm old school and hope I'm not harming my car but, is a Chamois taboo for drying !??

No problem, but it depends on color. If black, any contact will eventually give microscratches. I got two years of handwashes (using the method I described often) before I took it to a detailer for a professional polish.

What he said! ^^^

This has been a lifesaver on both the Shelby and Raptor. The nozzle is soft rubber and it is very compact.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Mark

I prefer the blaster sidekick. The air is warmed and makes drying super easy. No need for a blade.

post-25115-0-45801200-1496168033_thumb.jpg

I use a Water Blade, I use it at a 45% angle so the Water runs out one end of it instead of being pushed along PLUS, If you use a Towel, Rag, Chamois you would be catching the same stuff, if there is any, and dragging it across your paint. I only use the Blade after I have WASHED and Rinsed the Car.

Here is the Blaster Sidekick with Free Shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metro-Motorcycle-Dryer-Blower-Air-Force-Sidekick-Blaster-/191167577047?hash=item2c8279bbd7:g:vyIAAOSwOgdYsJyQ&vxp=mtr

Edited by tesgt350

It seems the big controversy is over dragging debris across the paint. But assuming you are starting with a dirty car - how is ANYTHING you use to wash it not going to drag debris across the paint? Would seem that a jelly blade used on a freshly washed (clean) car would be pretty inconsequential.

A side note - once tried an air compressor to dry the car - didn't work! Just blasted the water droplets into smaller drops and moved them around. And yes, I ran the air thru a filter :victory:

Edited by Shelbyville

It seems the big controversy is over dragging debris across the paint. But assuming you are starting with a dirty car - how is ANYTHING you use to wash it not going to drag debris across the paint? Would seem that a jelly blade used on a freshly washed (clean) car would be pretty inconsequential.

A side note - once tried an air compressor to dry the car - didn't work! Just blasted the water droplets into smaller drops and moved them around. And yes, I ran the air thru a filter :victory:

I've been thinking something similar, like when you're at the show and you want to clean it up after the drive there. Obviously there's no water source (unless you took your own), so how do you get road dust off the car without large quantities of water?

I've been thinking something similar, like when you're at the show and you want to clean it up after the drive there. Obviously there's no water source (unless you took your own), so how do you get road dust off the car without large quantities of water?

It is usually preferable to use water to wash off the dust , however if it is light road dust you can use a microfiber towel and a quick detailer spray. The detail spray has lubricants in it to help protect the finish and encapsulate the dust, and most detailers also have a wax booster in them. I have done this with my 2008 Vista Blue Vert dozen of times after road trips over the past 7 years using Meguires Quick Detailer Spray and the paint and stripes still look showroom after logging just over 30,000 miles. Also the car has lived in Florida and now Texas and it has survived the heat and sunlight, the Florida rains and Texas dust well.

Not going to wade in to the Jelly blade controversy except to say that TS is about the only site you will see a jelly blade discussion argued and dissected all the way down to the splitting of hairs into the sub-atomic level.

Edited by mhr1961

It is usually preferable to use water to wash off the dust , however if it is light road dust you can use a microfiber towel and a quick detailer spray. The detail spray has lubricants in it to help protect the finish and encapsulate the dust, and most detailers also have a wax booster in them. I have done this with my 2008 Vista Blue Vert dozen of times after road trips over the past 7 years using Meguires Quick Detailer Spray and the paint and stripes still look showroom after logging just over 30,000 mile. Also car has lived in Florida and now Texas and it has survived the heat and sunlight, the Florida rains and Texas dust well.

Not going wade in to the Jelly blade controversy except to say that TS is about the only site you will see a jelly blade discussion argued and dissected all the way down to the splitting of hairs into the sub-atomic level.

That's what I figured would work, but do you want to remove the dust first, or just use the detailing spray? Now that I have a really nice paint job, I'm gathering as much info as I can to keep it that way. I used to use just a California Duster, and even after all the years the old paint still looked pretty good in most places, and I never noticed any fine scratches.