TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recommendation on Rotors

jdt1970

I am starting to get some pulsating when I brake and need to start thinking about new rotors. Is it normal for the stock pads to outlast the stock rotors? If you have experience with a aftermarket product that out performs the stock rotors I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

The rotors have never been resurfaced. I don't know the thickness or if they are warped. I will get them checked this week. I just noticed the pulsing this past week. It's very faint but I know the feeling from other vehicles I have owned. I suppose it could be something else but it really feels like rotors. The pulsing is very faint right now. The car has 45k miles on it and these are the original rotors and pads (never been resurfaced before). The reason I am leaning towards replacement is past experience on another vehicle with resurfaced rotors. I had rotors resurfaced before and the pulsing returned within a year on a Buick I use to drive.

Thanks

Warped rotors are more urban legend than fact, especially on a street driven car - Here's a good read on the subject - http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Pad deposits can cause the pulsating feeling and this would generally get worse over time. I still think that's odd for a street driven car with 45K and you are not swapping pads/compounds, but suppose it is possible.

I'd start by looking at the caliper and pads. If brake hardware gets seized up from dirt, rust, etc, it can press on the pads unevenly, with different force and cause weird issue. If you are DIYer, you can take the pads out, inspect them and clean all the parts thoroughly with brake cleaner. Look for things like uneven pad wear, glazing, broken\rusted HW. Then replace and grease the rear pins and dust boots. I also replace the front pins and anti-rattle plate every couple years for piece of mind.

Warped rotors are more urban legend than fact, especially on a street driven car - Here's a good read on the subject - http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Pad deposits can cause the pulsating feeling and this would generally get worse over time. I still think that's odd for a street driven car with 45K and you are not swapping pads/compounds, but suppose it is possible.

I'd start by looking at the caliper and pads. If brake hardware gets seized up from dirt, rust, etc, it can press on the pads unevenly, with different force and cause weird issue. If you are DIYer, you can take the pads out, inspect them and clean all the parts thoroughly with brake cleaner. Look for things like uneven pad wear, glazing, broken\rusted HW. Then replace and grease the rear pins and dust boots. I also replace the front pins and anti-rattle plate every couple years for piece of mind.

Good info! I will take a look at the article right now. I do like doing as much as I can myself so I will take them apart and take a look when I get an opportunity. I just did a pad replacement on my buddies 2016 Camaro this morning and the 4 Brembos were supper easy but I hear the rear stock brakes on the GT500 need a special tool. I need to read up on that more and see if AutoZone or similar has the tool to loan. I may just buy it but I am not convinced yet about keeping the stock rears. I know they don't do much but it would be nice to find a replacement pair of Brembos for the rear (not a high priority on the want list).

Barry the article did a good job of explaining why in the past resurfaced rotors did not work for me long term...the problem was most likely not a warp but a build up due to crappy pads or a thermal change in the rotor material. Good stuff!

Good info! I will take a look at the article right now. I do like doing as much as I can myself so I will take them apart and take a look when I get an opportunity. I just did a pad replacement on my buddies 2016 Camaro this morning and the 4 Brembos were supper easy but I hear the rear stock brakes on the GT500 need a special tool. I need to read up on that more and see if AutoZone or similar has the tool to loan. I may just buy it but I am not convinced yet about keeping the stock rears. I know they don't do much but it would be nice to find a replacement pair of Brembos for the rear (not a high priority on the want list).

AutoZone does have the rear piston tool for rent, but if you do a bunch of jobs, it might be easier to drop $35 and have it in the garage.

As for a upgrading the rear caliper...good luck! It is a common eyesore for most of us. Unfortunately, there is no good "in-between" solution (trust me, they would be making $$ if one existed). You either have to go "Big" on all for corners, or deal with a crappy looking rears. You cant just throw a Brembo caliper on as the system in the rear is setup differently and you also have to deal with the E-Brake.

If you just installed big brakes on the rear only, you dramatically change the bias and it would probably be a nightmare to stop safely. If you upgrade all for corners to a Willwood or BAER kit, that will set you back many thousands of dollars. But they do look good :cool:

AutoZone does have the rear piston tool for rent, but if you do a bunch of jobs, it might be easier to drop $35 and have it in the garage.

As for a upgrading the rear caliper...good luck! It is a common eyesore for most of us. Unfortunately, there is no good "in-between" solution (trust me, they would be making $$ if one existed). You either have to go "Big" on all for corners, or deal with a crappy looking rears. You cant just throw a Brembo caliper on as the system in the rear is setup differently and you also have to deal with the E-Brake.

If you just installed big brakes on the rear only, you dramatically change the bias and it would probably be a nightmare to stop safely. If you upgrade all for corners to a Willwood or BAER kit, that will set you back many thousands of dollars. But they do look good :cool:

well that solves that issue...leaving the rear stock! It's not worth redesigning the whole system over when you could buy a couple sets of good tires for the same price and stop better.