TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT350 2018 MY vs Oil Consumption Issues

On 8/8/2019 at 5:05 PM, Jim Millier said:

I purchased a 17 GT-350 at 62 years old I have broken in Many Engines . Start Up Warm Up and Not fully loading Your engine is Critical in Seating your Ring's and not Scuffing a piston skirt . Drained and Changed at 500 miles .Kept 3,500 rpm till 500 then 4 , 45 , 5000 till 1000 miles then let it Rip in bursts till 2,000 and out with Oil again . Now 3,500 miles and it's used less than a Quart . Now the New 5.2's have upgraded the Valvetrain ! Makes Me Sick , What do I Do ? Take it apart . Bummed 

The 19/20 Vodoo uses the GT500 head for commonality not because there was anything wrong with the old head or valve train. The 19/20 engines in the 350 and 350R are the same as pervious R models which is a little different than the Standard GT350. Any replacements have gotten the R motor

On 8/8/2019 at 5:05 PM, Jim Millier said:

I purchased a 17 GT-350 at 62 years old I have broken in Many Engines . Start Up Warm Up and Not fully loading Your engine is Critical in Seating your Ring's and not Scuffing a piston skirt . Drained and Changed at 500 miles .Kept 3,500 rpm till 500 then 4 , 45 , 5000 till 1000 miles then let it Rip in bursts till 2,000 and out with Oil again . Now 3,500 miles and it's used less than a Quart . Now the New 5.2's have upgraded the Valvetrain ! Makes Me Sick , What do I Do ? Take it apart . Bummed 

read your owners manual and GT350 supplement.  The GT350 is not a standard production engine. It is a production race engine. You "broke in" your engine about the exact opposite of what they suggest. It is best to follow the owners manual, not the 'old school" way you described above. You have a very short period of time to seat your rings and it is best done under load as described in in detail in the owners manual and supplement that comes with your car.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love the GT350, if not for this oil issue I would probably have one in my Garage.  I instead decided to spice up the Shelby GT/SC with a New Interior, Watts Link, Ford Racing Control Arms, GT500 take off Brembo's, and New Stripes.

I do not have the time to deal with a car with issues, hopefully Ford figures this out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 12:18 PM, carnut12 said:

I absolutely love the GT350, if not for this oil issue I would probably have one in my Garage.  I instead decided to spice up the Shelby GT/SC with a New Interior, Watts Link, Ford Racing Control Arms, GT500 take off Brembo's, and New Stripes.

I do not have the time to deal with a car with issues, hopefully Ford figures this out.

Same here.  I want a GT350, but afraid of the oil issue.  Apparently, Ford has begun using the MY 2020 GT500 5.2 block for MY 2019 GT350's.  Perhaps Ford knows this will fix the oil consumption issue.  Meanwhile, I'm holding onto my 200 SGT, and hoping Ford had found the fix.

• 1 month later...

After reading this column and on other forums, completely sacred away from the GT350. This is a car that didn't get enough testing/eval. Don't blame the owners ... this isn't about them. When I see a used GT350 on the market, don't know why it is there... oil burning? They rush these things to market as Mustangs sales are dropping and they want the car to resonate with owners and build brand enthusiasm. Go see the movie.  This issue is about history repeating itself. Take the Shelby GT500 and the clutch issues 2007-10 as another example. I've so wanted a  "Shelby" since the first time they came out. This is from a person who has bought many Fords through the years, my first NEW Mustang was in 1973.

• 5 months later...

I luv the GT350 and have also been watching and waiting for the last 2 years. I want a GT350 so bad but at this point I am scared away from The 16-18 models and at this point would only possibly buy a 2019 with the gen2 motor. May end up just settling for a GT.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 5:06 AM, Jonny427 said:

I wonder how many of these "voodoo" owners have done a proper "break in" on the cars. Engine rings have to seat. I would be willing to bet, that they drive off the lot and just flog the motors.

I would agree. I broke mine in pretty close to what was recommended and I installed both FP seperators. The passenger side got full in about 3800 miles. Driver side was minimal. Oil level was always in tolerance. I would say I drive my 350 R moderately hard on italian roads when not forced to drive 30mph. Driving autostrada doing daily to work at 80+ plus speeds. Have not tracked it yet due to high covid in the monza area.