TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rear axle oil

pilote

Hello everyone,

5002013 on a Shelby GT with Track Pack Performance Pack and therefore with Torsen and 3.31, he must add a friction modifier?

I ask the question because in the operating manual, the manufacturer said to then I read on forums with a Torsen it should not add any additives.

I do not know what to think especially members have Royal Purple and AMSOIL 75W90 or 75W140 with friction modifiers.

If so do not put I like to know the reason please ...

thank you in advance ;)

Hello everyone,
5002013 on a Shelby GT with Track Pack Performance Pack and therefore with Torsen and 3.31, he must add a friction modifier?
I ask the question because in the operating manual, the manufacturer said to then I read on forums with a Torsen it should not add any additives.
I do not know what to think especially members have Royal Purple and AMSOIL 75W90 or 75W140 with friction modifiers.
If so do not put I like to know the reason please ...
thank you in advance ;)

Friction modifier is usually required for differential clutch disc to separator plate engagement to minimize chatter between the surfaces. My True Trac does not have does not have clutches for posi-traction engagement so it does not require friction modifier additive, but I am not sure what the Torsen uses to lock the two sides together?

R

Edited by Robert M

From the 2014 Mustang owner's manual:

"1Add 4 oz. (118 ml) of Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 or equivalent meeting Ford specification

EST-M2C118-A for complete refill of Traction-Lok or TORSEN® axles.

Ford design rear axles contain a synthetic lubricant that does not require changing unless the

axle has been submerged in water.

When subjecting your car to high-speed or competition use, the axle fluid and friction modifier

should be changed after the initial (first) hour of high-speed operation or if the vehicle is

subjected to track or competition conditions; thereafter changing the axle lubricant and friction

modifier every 12 hours (under these conditions)."

Check the supplemental Shelby GT500 manual, it may say something different. I heard the same, no friction modifier needed, but I trust what Ford recommends as there may be other parts in the axle housing that may need the additive. See www.Torsen.com

Edited by Secondo