TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Change Question

cb09

I got my last oil change on 9/24 and have gone 300 miles since then. I am getting the change oil now light coming on when i start the car. There is no way i need an oil change already. Does the cars computer only look at time and not mileage to make the light come on?

I got my last oil change on 9/24 and have gone 300 miles since then. I am getting the change oil now light coming on when i start the car. There is no way i need an oil change already. Does the cars computer only look at time and not mileage to make the light come on?

Yes.

You can, however, manually reset it via the following procedure from pg 99 in the Mustang Owner's Manual (3rd Printing)...

1. Press and release SETUP to display OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW.
2. Press and hold RESET for two seconds and release to reset the oil life to [the desired percentage].

If he last changed it on 9/24, then yeap it's been six months. I've only driven about 4,000 miles each of the last two years. So mine has popped up every 6 months and about 2,000 miles. I just reset and go another 6 months before I change it.

HI Bill - I reset my oil life last fall before putting my 14 gt5000 to bed for winter and I had to do search on the proper sequence of what button to push and I didn't write it down & now I forgot and can't find it in the owners manual for the type 2 instrument panel. also did a search on the forum & it wouldn't come up. Would you share the proper & right sequence for resetting the oil life. thanks

Chuck

HI Bill - I reset my oil life last fall before putting my 14 gt5000 to bed for winter and I had to do search on the proper sequence of what button to push and I didn't write it down & now I forgot and can't find it in the owners manual for the type 2 instrument panel. also did a search on the forum & it wouldn't come up. Would you share the proper & right sequence for resetting the oil life. thanks

Chuck

Norton's post above should have you covered pretty good if you don't have the regular Mustang owner's manual. Good luck. :shift:

I reset my oil life last fall before putting my 14 gt5000 to bed for winter and I had to do search on the proper sequence of what button to push and I didn't write it down & now I forgot and can't find it in the owners manual for the type 2 instrument panel. also did a search on the forum & it wouldn't come up. Would you share the proper & right sequence for resetting the oil life.

You can, however, manually reset it via the following procedure from pg 99 in the Mustang Owner's Manual (3rd Printing)...

1. Press and release SETUP to display OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW.
2. Press and hold RESET for two seconds and release to reset the oil life to [the desired percentage].
Edited by Norton

The trick is look for My Vehicle when scrolling thru

Thanks Torched 10 your tip got me going the right direction - Norton's information was word for word on page 100 for Information Display Controls (type 1) in my owners manual printed in 2013. my 14 has (type 2) controls. for dummies like me this is the sequence that works on my 2014 gt500

go to vehicle under setting ==push ok ==under oil life reset push right button == under oil life reset select 10 to 100% == push & hold OK to set, Hope this will show up in the oil life reset search history for 2013 & 14 gt500's.

Thanks for everybody's help. You guys are a lot smarter than my dealer over in Tigard Or.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I usually only put about 1000 miles on mine per year so I get my oil changed once per year. Ironically enough I took it to my local dealer today for it's annual oil and filter change. I happened to be watching through the waiting room window when the tech finished my car. he actually went to some other work stations to fine a clean towel to wipe his finger prints off the hood when he closed it. very cool of him, good to see some people still care. although I'm so particular about my car that I'll give it a quick spray detail tonight anyway but I was impressed.