TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 GT-H rental story

HERTZ II

Very nice write up.

Overlooking the number of times he incorrectly called the exhaust an axle back, reminded me of how much I enjoyed the exhaust when I rented one. My Mustang is a manual and I didn't realize until driving the GT-H how much the fun exhaust sounds with the aggressive downshifting of the auto in Sport mode. Had me cracking up every time I slowed down to a stop light.

The rusty rivets on the front grill are a bummer. Last few months I've seen that on several airport visits. Hope that doesn't mean every GTE and Super Snake are going to do the same. When people eventually buy these, maybe you could drill the rivets out and replace with some socket head caps screws, make it look a little more aggressive and pick a finish more corrosion resistant.

Is he correct that the 2016 is larger than the 2006?

The 2016 IS larger.......but by only a smidge. Looking at the Ford spec sheets for the base Mustang GT for each year (2006 vs 2016) the wheelbases are the same but the 2016 overall length and width is about 1/2 inch greater. The curb weights show the 2016 is just over 200 pounds heavier.

GTH-'s a plenty at the Bash this year....with no less than three out on the track at Spring Mountain...one of them with track tires no less.

I got to drive one on the Poker Run, and was thouroghly impressed....if I can get one at the right price, I may be adding it to the fleet.

BTW, the line lock works and makes great burn-outs

Very nice write up.

Overlooking the number of times he incorrectly called the exhaust an axle back, reminded me of how much I enjoyed the exhaust when I rented one. My Mustang is a manual and I didn't realize until driving the GT-H how much the fun exhaust sounds with the aggressive downshifting of the auto in Sport mode. Had me cracking up every time I slowed down to a stop light.

The rusty rivets on the front grill are a bummer. Last few months I've seen that on several airport visits. Hope that doesn't mean every GTE and Super Snake are going to do the same. When people eventually buy these, maybe you could drill the rivets out and replace with some socket head caps screws, make it look a little more aggressive and pick a finish more corrosion resistant.

The rivets originally fitted were incorrect and untreated. Thus rusted. Shelby sent treated, non rust rivers to replace the old ones. My guess is the rental locations will replace with the correct ones once they go for sale. I also would guess if anyone buys one and they haven't been replaced you could get a set from Shelby pretty cheap since they are the same that holds the grill on the GTE.

The rivets originally fitted were incorrect and untreated. Thus rusted. Shelby sent treated, non rust rivers to replace the old ones. My guess is the rental locations will replace with the correct ones once they go for sale. I also would guess if anyone buys one and they haven't been replaced you could get a set from Shelby pretty cheap since they are the same that holds the grill on the GTE.

Interesting and good to know. Thanks for that update!

• 2 months later...

Right now I am enjoying #61 out of SFO (San Francisco). Getting the car was a major hassle. Despite Gold Card that includes insurance coverage, Hertz still wants multiple photo IDs (who carries that?) and four credit cards! Luckily I had enough cards. First car had dead battery! Second had to be brought from another outside lot and washed! 45 minute wait had ne steaming. But rate was not the original $349/day. Five days with insurance for a little over $700. Only about $15/day more than renting a Mustang GT.

Car is fun attention getter. Love the exhaust that gives it a GT500 tone. Good handling though not the same as my 2011 GT350. Really like the 2016 interior however.

I am never sure that renters before me use premium fuel before returning the car, so I am trying use up the current fuel and putting in premium and playing a little harder.

I figured since I wear a lot Shelby attire, this car would be the only proper way to accessorize my travel appearance.

Note to Scott: I live in Hawaii and liked your article.