TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for the right Shelby

Tac

Hi there, as the topic suggests I am looking for a Shelby gt500, but would like some input from some enthusiasts. :)

Currently was looking at 2011 gt500s but after some searching online I wasn't sure what would be best suited for me.

I am on a low budget for a Shelby I know, so looking for something around 32K-35k

Any suggestions would be helpful weathers it's telling to wait and save some more or older models that are decent.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies!!

Looking in the 07-09 range then, are there any certain models that are better/easier to mod or come pretty well rounded?

I apologize if I have very open ended questions

GT-H's are not supercharged, whereas GT500's are supercharged.

When I went shopping for my GT500 last year, I decided I didn't want to settle on just any GT500. After doing my research, I knew I wanted a low mileage, white w/blue striped 09 GT500, period. No other color combo was going to work for me. I shopped for 6 months, literally across the nation, until I found the exact car in Dallas, TX (whereas I live on the Treasure Coast of Fl.) It was at the the top of my price range but worth it to me, as I had been quite diligent in my shopping.

Since then, I've noted that higher mileage GT500's of the same generation (07-09) can be had had/found for less than what I paid; my buddy, fer instance, fell in love w/my car & decided he had to have one. Again, we shopped together and found him an '07 in very nice condition but higher mileage (50k on the odo) & at a sale price of $25,500 (w/out tax/tag/title)- that was a steal in my opinion, and about $8g's less than I paid for mine.

So there's lots of options out there for you, depending on what you're looking for. And several good sites to inquire about for GT500's- here, svtforum, fordgt500.com, to name a few. Everyone will be glad to offer you advice! The more info you have, the better informed you'll be before making the decision.

Good luck!

Lee

And here's another thought- test drive as many as you can. I drove more than a few beaters and a couple of highly modded GT500's that taught me some valuable lessons about GT500's, this coming from a multi-Stang owner over the last 3 decades. The beaters were obvious after a couple of shifts. The modded ones were not streetable or practical (in my opinion) so know what you're getting yourself into before writing that check.

Like I said in my last post, I knew what I was shopping for and wanted an all stock machine, w/no mods- I'll do my own dang mods, thank you very much.

Lee

Right now, there are plenty of 2007-2009 GT 500's for under $26K .

I am also shopping now and anything that cheap has a story.....Carfax issues, poor mods, poor paint, dirty, lots of miles, etc.

Unmolested 2007 to 2009s with 10k miles or less are $30-32K and well worth it in my opinion

You might also run an Ad in your Local Paper seeking to buy one. A few Years ago, I know of 2 GT 500's that were Traded In. One was a 2007 and the owner only got $22,000.00 for it and another was a 2009 Convertible and the owner only got $25,000.00 on Trade. BOTH were 1 Owners, under 20K Miles and Beautiful. A Friend Traded in their GT 500KR with less than 8K Miles, Red with Silver Stripes, and all they got was $38,000.00 on Trade. Run the Ad that says before they Trade the Car in, to see what the Dealers will give and you will give them $2,500.00 more.

I found mine in Georgia after about a years search for that right one. Found her on cargurus.com

I second cargurus.com, I found my new 2013 gt500 Convertible on that site as well just a few weeks ago. I like that it gives you a feel for how good of a deal you are getting. I used that and KBB.com to gauge what I should pay. I will say in your price range, you can certainly get a clean 2010 - 2012 GT500 for sure! Carmax had a 2012 convertible that i drove a couple of weeks ago. It only had 19k miles on it and was in perfect condition for 37k. A coupe would go for less than that. One thing I found was it is important to take your time and get EXACTLY what you want. It is worth the extra effort and wait if need be.

Check Carmax as well, they are nice because you get some warranty and you can return it up to 5 days for any reason. GOOD LUCK!

Here is just one example of a 2012 for 35k with less than 30k miles on it;

https://www.carmax.com/car/14062712

Hi,

I am 65 years old and just bought my first Shelby on Saturday after having a few GT's which I thought would be suitable substitutes. But no; even while I had the GTs I searched the internet and went to local dealers when a GT500 would pop up on their lots. I finally found one about 50 miles from where I live: 2011 GT500, white w/red stripes, SVT Performance Pkg, 6300 miles, obviously garage kept. It was $37,500 (maybe a little high), but it was just what I wanted. The only after market mod are Roush mufflers which the previous owner installed. I'm lovin' it!

Asking people on here which Shelby is the best is like asking “how long is a piece of string?” The thing for you to do is to go drive a Shelby GT and a GT500 and see which one you like better or which one best suits the purpose you will be using it for. With the way prices are still declining on both these vehicles, there are and will be plenty of good deals out there for both cars now and in to the foreseeable future. The price range you gave doesn’t limit you to a 2007 to 2009 GT500, there are plenty of 2010 to 2011 GT500s out there with less than 25,000 miles in the 32 to 35K range as well.

If you are young and don’t have a lot of experience with really hi horsepower cars I would suggest the Shelby GT. Out of the box it handles way better than a GT500 and has plenty of power. Once you master driving it you can always install mods to up the horsepower or put a supercharger on it and out run many stock GT500’s. A Shelby GT is also significantly less costly to insure than a GT500 and gets better mileage so your operating/ownership costs will be less as well. Best of luck whichever car you chose.

I'm Spectreman's buddy.

I HAD to have white w/blue. Found a really nice blue w/white 20k miles, pristine but I knew I wanted white. Just kept waiting and looking. A white one came up 3.5 hrs north, I rented a car and took the drive, it was nicer than I could have imagined for 49.5k miles. Left the rental there, drove the Mustang home.

In all, I probably seriously searched for a little over a month. I feel I was very lucky to find what I wanted so quickly.

And it didn't hurt that I had the best Mustang detective/shopper in SoFlo on the case.

Don't be in a rush, take your time and get what you want.

IMG_3361_zps2btqbxgk.jpg

I'll recommend you buy the newest—meaning most modern—car you can afford that fits your other requirements. Newer will last longer in nearly every use, and will have all the latest technology, materials, and safety innovations.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am definitely going to take my time looking.

Only thing that is pretty difficult for me is my location here in GB wi :)

Tac,i am in Rockford and looking to sell my white SGT,if any interest let me know we are not that far from each other.

Ok I will definitely check out those other sites.. as far as choices it's going to be a gt500 :)

I currently have a 2011 mustang gt

Hope you find a great one!

Archived