TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Seat upgrade question

I was looking into a set of Recaro toplines for my GT 500 with suede inners to match the exterior color. got all the way to putting a deposit down and then the salesman told me he had to let me know that there are certain cars,makes,models where the seat upgrade messes with the airbag sensors. Since this will be thier 1st GT 500 he doesnt want to guarantee that it will work.

He did however say that most of the times it can be worked out so that the airbags operate properly.

but is that a chance I wanna take

The downside he said was that sometimes the issue cannot be resolved and then all you can do is defeat the airbag system and make do without. Now I dont know about you all but this is not an option.

This would be no big deal if it were a track only car but it is a daily driver.

The real cruddy part is that the Recaros are non refundable. Soooooooooo my question is this. Has anyone here done a seat mod/upgrade on the gt500 and been successful in keeping the airbag system functional???

Ha ha ha very funny. Ya I am an old desert rat It was my first and only online nic from years ago.

All BS aside do you have any info on this post ???

No, sorry. However, you might want to talk to some of the more hardcore guys like dgussin, Badboy, Harleydealer, etc.

Good luck.

Dave

I was looking into a set of Recaro toplines for my GT 500 with suede inners to match the exterior color. got all the way to putting a deposit down and then the salesman told me he had to let me know that there are certain cars,makes,models where the seat upgrade messes with the airbag sensors. Since this will be thier 1st GT 500 he doesnt want to guarantee that it will work.

He did however say that most of the times it can be worked out so that the airbags operate properly.

but is that a chance I wanna take

The downside he said was that sometimes the issue cannot be resolved and then all you can do is defeat the airbag system and make do without. Now I dont know about you all but this is not an option.

This would be no big deal if it were a track only car but it is a daily driver.

The real cruddy part is that the Recaros are non refundable. Soooooooooo my question is this. Has anyone here done a seat mod/upgrade on the gt500 and been successful in keeping the airbag system functional???

The side air bags are in the side of the seats. The seats are engineered for strength and location for proper deployment. I doubt their seats are set up for air bags since they are model and manufacturer specific. If you install aftermarket seats a jumper with the proper resistor can be plugged into the side air bag connector.The monitor will think it still has side air bags and in a crash will deploy the front air bags normally. As long as the air bag lamp isn't illuminated the system is functional Ther is no way to disable the system without settting the lamp. The light is an LED in the inst. cluster and can't be removed. Hope this helps.

I odered a Recaro Sport for mine and am sending back because they are very uncomfortable!!!!!

It is costing me a fortune to send them back with the 45% restocking fee but Recaros suck IMO

I am 5' 10" weigh about 170

Chuckstang, I am looking at the Topline model. They seem a little more comfy than the sports. Truly the only way to really know will be some long time driving and I sure dont want to shell out that kind of dinero and be unhappy. Geesssh........ decisions............ decisions

The Tend Topline are a different model than the sport correct. I did sit in the Topline and they fely pretty good. although the proof will be in the long haul.

What kind of discomfort did you experience ???

The side air bags are in the side of the seats. The seats are engineered for strength and location for proper deployment. I doubt their seats are set up for air bags since they are model and manufacturer specific. If you install aftermarket seats a jumper with the proper resistor can be plugged into the side air bag connector.The monitor will think it still has side air bags and in a crash will deploy the front air bags normally. As long as the air bag lamp isn't illuminated the system is functional Ther is no way to disable the system without settting the lamp. The light is an LED in the inst. cluster and can't be removed. Hope this helps.

Mt GT 5 has side deployed air bags???

Chuckstang, I am looking at the Topline model. They seem a little more comfy than the sports. Truly the only way to really know will be some long time driving and I sure dont want to shell out that kind of dinero and be unhappy. Geesssh........ decisions............ decisions

The Tend Topline are a different model than the sport correct. I did sit in the Topline and they fely pretty good. although the proof will be in the long haul.

What kind of discomfort did you experience ???

They offer great lateral support, and look awsome, but I could not even make an hour drive stuck in traffic. The pain was in the lowerback area where there was a noticeable lack of padding for some odd reason. Perhaps if I had gotten full leather it would have been more comfy but also the plastic on the base was pretty cheap and even cracked after only a week of driving.

I hate to bash Recaro, but man did the seats I get seem real cheap, they did look very nice though.

So IMO the Sports are for a race car not a street car as the long haul comfort is just not there but the support around corners was top notch.

Archived