TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Butterfly Valves

XY GTHO Phase III

Does anyone have Exhaust Butterfly Valves on there Cobra. I ask as I want to drive my Cobra to work but I leave around 5:30am so with the Cobra being so loud I will become know to my neighbours as that prick that starts his car at 5:30am in the morning guy. I saw a product that Harley's have on there bikes where a butterfly valve is placed in the exhaust and when closed 90% off it quietens the exhaust sound dramatically and when you get out on the freeway you can open it up 100% and you have the sound and performance like it was not there. Anyway I want to put those on my Cobra to lessen the noise when I start up and around the neighbourhood, Thanks

• 3 months later...

I have two on one of my Camaros. They need room/space to be spliced into the exhaust which we do not have with side pipes. Also they can be problematic ( Not opening or closing fully, etc ). I wouldn't consider installing them on my cobra.

Suggestion: Change to a more efficient muffler in your side pipes. ( The Shelby side pipes have only a fiberglass glass pack type muffler in their side pipes ). Its a fairly big job but remove the side pipes, have the glass pack mufflers removed, install real straight through race mufflers, re chrome the pipes and then re install on your car.

Almost like the reverse process of cutouts? Another option, install cutouts and run quieter mufflers under the car. Even better if you find a weld-in spot that can be reversed if desired later.

I have a set of new Pypes 2.5" cutouts still in the boxes for sale, couldn't find a spot with enough clearance on my lowered Mustang (the cutouts would become the lowest point!).